Carrier SOPs

Mutley

Re: Carrier SOPs

Post by Mutley »

[quote="Neil Willis"]No confusion, but according to USN doctrine, side numbers are used. It is simple enough to allocate a side number to each pilot, but the distinction is there. C/S on ops, side number on approach. How DCS World will interpret things in the new ATC system remains to be seen of course.

well side numbers is what i orginaly asked for ie 505 but that was shot down so we settled on group numbers so that the LSO knows who just fluffed the landing and for the purpose of the score / landing sheet. Now your telling me that we are going back to side numbers.???? Ok as per my orginail post i would like 505 Please and when i work out how to put that onto my hornet skin i will.

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I did some pootling around earlier, looking at fuel flows, turn rates and that sort of stuff for holds in general. I found that at 250 kias you can set up the A/P and use the HSEL, BALT, and ATC to fly a very comfortable hold with a diameter of 4 - 4.5 nm. I didn't actually check out the 350 kias, but with the 30 AoB that the A/P holds, they would be about 6-7 nm diam, and so - I think - you wouldn't be able to use the autopilot in that hold. I take the A/P goes for a standard 30 AoB turn rather than a Rate 1.

I must confess that the other night with around 4-5 flying circling the Stennis, like flies round a cow-pat, it wasn't getting anywhere near lethal and it was generally possible to keep tabs on people. Although there were also an interesting set of positions being called, with no 2 pilots using the same ones! I also found the circuits a little big.

As you say we will have to wait to see what DCS eventually do and fit in with that scheme. It might make it difficult to use 'personalise' skins with various side-numbers.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

the stingers use personalished skins and side numbers , infact every plane of theres is differant sheme. Might be worth contanting them and asking them how they do it or if there skinning chap could help us out

fly_george

Post by fly_george »

i reckon a different number and tail art, therefore it is fairly easy to make
'paddles contact'

fly_george

Post by fly_george »

im gonna have a go at making a cool slightly distinctive skin for us to use as a base to add numbers to and such, ill post a pic if i have any success
'paddles contact'

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

fly_george wrote:im gonna have a go at making a cool slightly distinctive skin for us to use as a base to add numbers to and such, ill post a pic if i have any success

Outstanding I call Number 505

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I don’t doubt that we could make bespoke tailnumbers. Except that every aircraft already has a tail number, so, if we are going to use numbers instead of call signs, why not use the existing tailnumbers.

As we saw with the personalised skins for A-10s, someone has to allocate them, load them into a mission - or persuade all members to load them - at mission start. Given the difficulty we already have in getting members into the right flight or even aircraft types, I am not convinced it would be the doddle you both anticipate it would.

At present, if you are a flight leader and want to detach one or two aircraft for a specific task, it is much easier to call them Hog 3 etc, rather than look up on your knee-pad what their random tail number is.

Finally, I would like to keep this thread for comments on the SOPs, rather than let it ramble all over the place.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have produced an FRC page covering the Case 1 Recovery. For those that would like a copy I have attached the .png version. This will go directly into your:
Saved Games\DCS\Kneeboard\FA-18C_hornet\ folder
from where it will be available on your in-flight DCS Kneeboard
Attachments
004-Case 1 Recovery-000.png
004-Case 1 Recovery-000.png (69.23 KiB) Viewed 3749 times
Image Image Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

The tail number calls only apply when around the carrier, and are in addition to tactical callsigns. I presume the reason they are used is because the LSO can see the number on the outside of the aircraft on approach. It is a set procedure, so why can't we work that way? How we allocate numbers isn't really a problem as when you join a mission, it can be listed in the multiplayer server list. How they're allocated is down to best practice/random allocation.

In the holding pattern airspeed will be dependent upon maximum endurance fuel flow setting rather than flying to a pre designated airspeed. That was straight from the horses mouth - an ex Hornet pilot.

Keeping your eyes on the aircraft around you in the pattern is the correct way to avoid conflicting. If people fly consistent heights, airspeeds and tracks, that will be simple enough to effect. After all, unless you fly the numbers, an OK pass will be nigh on impossible.

Timing of the break depends on how many aircraft are in the flight. Generally, the lead will turn immediately when abeam the bows of the carrier. The rest break at 20 second intervals. In the pattern keep an altitude of 600 feet at on-speed AOA, and on the upwind a spacing of at least 1.1 to 1.3 miles abeam the carrier. Maintain150-200 ft per minute rate of descent once you enter a 27-30 degree banked turn at the 180 (abeam of the round down), You should be at 450 - 500 feet altitude at the 90 (90 degrees off the angled deck, not 90 degrees from BRC). 320 - 350 feet with wings almost level when in the groove (when lined up with the carrier box and at approx 3/4 miles), and flying to the ball for the remainder of the glide slope. Under no circumstances should the pattern be extended astern of the carrier.

If you bolter, you must climb out to at least 400 feet before commencing a 30 degree turn, and rejoin the pattern. The pattern can be extended ahead of the carrier to maintain spacing.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have the revised the previously published Draft F/A-18 SOPs, and attached them to this post

All Executive Committee Members are requested to read them and either confirm that they are content, or suggest any necessary changes. I would be grateful if any suggestions were made as specific as possible, and posted on this thread, so that others can stay abreast of any changes or developments.

In addition, all members who fly the F/A-18 should read them, and I would be grateful for any inputs they may have.

The Case 3 SOPs will follow in due course.
Attachments
Carrier SOPs - Case 1 and 2.pdf
(937.18 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Image Image Image Image

Return to “F/A-18C Hornet”