Refuelling from KC-135MPRS

Flyco
Site Admin

Refuelling from KC-135MPRS

Post by Flyco »

Neil and others, after my abortive attempts last nights to refuel from the KC-135MPRS, I had another go at setting it up today - with more success.

I used the Generic Mission and modified it. With the Tanker at 25000 ft it was trailing too heavily to even see it from the refuelling spot, so I dropped it to 20000ft and set the speed to 350 kts. That gave a refuelling TAS of 255-256 kts, which is very comfortable and close to the endurance speed. But, best of all it gave a surprisingly good reference point. Simply put the Tanker’s wingtip centrally between the upper edges of the two HUD glasses, and close at 257-259 kias.

It is not easy to align bank with that of the the Tanker directly, but on the straight legs, you can use the true horizon. That might give a problem during turns, but I found that once hooked up you had a fair bit of leeway in alignment. Certainly after two or three initial runs, I found it easier to hook up than I have ever done on any of the other tankers.

I will publish some screen shots shortly.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Refuelling from KC-135MPRS

Post by Flyco »

As promised (or threatened), some shots of refuelling from the new KC135.

The approach is from below with a gradual climb - keeping the reference point (Tanker Wing tip between tops lines of HUD Glasses - just slightly left of centre). Perhaps not textbook but I find it easier. You will also see that the position is not too critical once you're hooked up; there is fair amount of movement possible - just as well in my case!.

Hope this helps others. All I need to do now is put in a couple of hundred hours practice and I should be perfect! I think it is going to take a lot of post-flight neck and shoulder massage.
Attachments
Small Approach.png
Small Approach.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 3637 times
Small Approach 2.png
Small Approach 2.png (1023.57 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Small Nearly There.png
Small Nearly There.png (975.56 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Small Gotcha.png
Small Gotcha.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 3637 times
Small Low, Left & Close.png
Small Low, Left & Close.png (999.82 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Small Right and Up.png
Small Right and Up.png (865.07 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Image Image Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Excellent work Alan, thanks.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Neil, do you want me to copy the amended file back to the drop box, or just add a second KC135MPRS (at 250 kias and 20,000ft) and copy it back?
Image Image Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

I'd just replace it in the dropbox. I can't see us wanting to revert back to the old version, but saving a copy of the original would be prudent too.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Neil, I was about to replace the current Trg mission, when I saw that the one in the Server Dropbox had been updated earlier today. Thus I put mine back as “Revised Trg ... etc”. So I suspect we have 2 versions: one with the updated MPRS tanker and one with some other change.

Left and Right hands out of sync.

That is why I dislike using the Generic mission - it is modified almost daily, with no indication of what the mods are. We do need someone to “own” each of the Server Missions and either to make changes themself or to get someone else to do it. Two people changing it in parallel is a recipe for chaos.
Image Image Image Image

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Why are people just editing missions without any creator input?

Don't get me wrong I have no problems with people editing a little thing here of there I.e changing a tanker ect, however the guys making the missions put alot of time and effort in to them please atleast ask them if you would like to change anything.

For example the generic mission shouldn't have been touched for a minimum of three weeks as I have only just return home from tank ranges, like I said I have no issues changing a small detail like a tanker but come on guys at least ask before editing a mission that I've put tonnes of hours and many triggers that can completely destroy the mission by editing without the correct knowhow.

From now on if anyone except Alan or Neil would like to edit the Generic mission please do so through me.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

As you will gather, I am in full agreement with you Matt.

I have uploaded my 'Revised Generic Caucasus ... etc.miz', but just to the Sever dropbox. The only change was to the northern KC-135 tanker which I updated to KC-135MPRS with a more reasonable speed, and updated the relevant section of the brief. As I said, I was reluctant to over-write the current server version (dtg today at 08:38) because I don't know what changes were made.

It is the bugbear of software - keeping it documented. Everyone please note.
Image Image Image Image

Roon
Site Admin

Post by Roon »

To have access to the mission to edit it, we must be talking about someone with access to the server and the dropbox account. Do we have a list of members with such access? Maybe we should do a security revue ?
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Officer Commanding F18 OCU
Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Not sure that is true Ade. I am not entirely sure how the Dropbox and the server are linked, but it seems to me that missions are uploaded (and downloaded) from the Dropbox, for which no password is necessary. They are then transferred to and from the Server mission loader within the password protected environment.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge about this could comment.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “F/A-18C Hornet”