Litening Pod

Flyco
Site Admin

Litening Pod

Post by Flyco »

How is everyone getting along with the new Litening Targeting Pod (LTP)? I am finding it a bit inconsistent in some of it's responses. In particular, lasing is intermittent with the Warthog trigger fully pressed, meaning that I am losing some weapons. I find that I need to keep an eye on the DDI to ensure that the 'LTD/R' indication remains off - if it goes back to 'ARM', I need to release and re-press the trigger to renew the lasing.

I also find the switchology a little over complex, compared with the A-10C system. That said it should be very useful once it's running properly. However, I will not convert Op Deep Valley to use it for the time being.

One additional fact that I picked up from the Forum, was how to point the FLIR at (or very close) to a target. If you go to SA on one of the DDIs (or AMPCD), you get an indication of where the FLIR is looking. It is shown as a small box with a dot in the middle. If you select the target waypoint on the SA it will show as a circle with the WP number inside. If you now slew the FLIR indicator to point to the furthermost point of the target waypoint circle, you can usually find the target. I found that the box needs to be just overlapping the circumference of the circle. Not exact, or ideal, but it does ease the search somewhat.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

jester224

Re: Litening Pod

Post by jester224 »

Interesting results there. I actually found it a little easier than the A-10 but I am a bad A-10 pilot with little experience. Love the tip with the SA I will try that one. I think the issue with the trigger is that the Warthog has a two stage trigger. That means that you probably need to select both for the laser to remain on. I love the Pod but it is buggy and will need some more work. Rumour has it air to air is coming to it. So use it, have fun, however?

Here is some thinking I did following chatting with Will, call sign Yoda. He got me thinking about using these fire and forget weapons and flying skill. I didn't understand why till I did some hardcore thinking. You need some height to use these types of weapons. I mean preferably over 20K feet for JDAMs. Now if the enemy has SAMs, search radars and worst of all fighters you are sitting up there all pretty while your are watching the television! Fine if you have air superiority but that may not be the case. And some hairy bear in his Red Star plane can add you to his kill tally. So sometimes coming in at a few hundred feet with you rear on fire dropping dumb iron bombs with CCIP might seem so WW2 but it might just keep you alive and get the target. Then with a rapid egress after spoiling some poor Ruski's day it is home for tea and medals.
SAC Simon "Jester" Campbell-Smith
Data Analyst

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Solved the laser trigger problem. I had forgotten that I had programmed both 1st and 2nd trigger positions to fire guns for the F-18.

However, still getting some strange results.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have found a very clear and comprehensive introduction to the Litening pod. It is by Spudknocker and is very clear, precise and comprehensive. He rightly points out the limitations of the mod as it is currently implemented

Well worth a look.

Correction: The link below is to RedKite's tutorial - There is also one by Spudknocker, but I find RedKite's moves along nicely at my pedestrian pace.

https://youtu.be/snpgsO-vwu8
Image Image Image Image

Return to “F/A-18C Hornet”