Cat III Recovery Mission

Flyco
Site Admin

Cat III Recovery Mission

Post by Flyco »

I have flown the new SC Cat III Mission now 3 times. The first time I bolted (hook Up!!!). But on both the next 2 I landed, but on each, about 1 -2 seconds before impact, I got a "wave-off" call. far too late for someone with my reflexes so I landed anyway - the first catching a 2 wire, the second a 3 wire. Both approaches and landings appeared safe to me. The debrief decoded were as follows:

Slightly low in middle - Slightly low in close - High in close - Wave-off, slightly all fouled up - Landed left wing down in wire - Landed Nose first in wires. - I took the 2 wire.

Fast at start of G/S - Slightly low in centre - Slightly power in close - Slightly Power-Power in close - Low at round-down - Wave-off, slightly all fowled up - Landed nose first in wires - I took the 3 wire.

I do not claim to be perfect or even perfectly safe, but both Wave-offs seemed harsh and definitely too late. What are other peoples experiences? And what is "Slightly All Fouled Up"?

Incidentally. making an EAT in the hold took me back 50 years to my old C-130 days!! Ah! alas gone - "the Glory in the flower and the Splendour in the Grass"
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

john (scooby)

Re: Cat III Recovery Mission

Post by john (scooby) »

as that in single player missions alan? my and shaggy did something similer on his server last night, dusk take off then 100 miles out and return in the dark case 3
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

Nose first into the wires, would seem to infer you weren't on speed AoA at touch down. I wonder if fouled up, means you were cross controls. I'll have a look and see what I can find. I have though, found that sinking near the end will result in a waveoff even if your hook is 1 inch away from catching a wire.
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

Doing a bit of background reading, fouled up seems to imply there was not enough time left in the approach for all the issues to be sorted. Low, slow, left wing down, nose low all at once etc.
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

Return to “F/A-18C Hornet”