CBU87 and CBU87

Mr_Sukebe

CBU87 and CBU87

Post by Mr_Sukebe »

I was playing with these last week, and despite watching a video walkthrough, was rather hopeless in using them.
Does anyone here actually know how to employ them correctly and might have time to show me on say Thurs or Fri evening?

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: CBU87 and CBU87

Post by Flyco »

I have not used these CBU weapons in the F-16, but have often used them in the A-10C. That said, I prefer the very similar but more accurate CBU-103 or CBU-105. These have the advantage of IN/GPS guidance to the 'dispense-point', from where they deploy their unguided sub-munitions. The 87 and 97, do not use any guidance to the dispense-point and are thus subject to wind inaccuracies during the time they are in free-fall. The sub-munitions from all 4 of these weapons are unguided for the final stages of their fall.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Mr_Sukebe

Post by Mr_Sukebe »

I've used cluster bombs from most of the other aircraft types, just not sure what I'm getting wrong with the F16.
As for the bombs themselves, the 87 is a general purpose spray and pray in an area, and only useful against lightly armoured vehicles and targets.
The 97 apparently contains 40 laser guided sub-munitions, suitable for armoured vehicles, including tanks. As such, sounds more like a little useful.

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The CBU-87 (CBU-103) used to be quite effective against softer vehicles. However, over the last couple of years it appears to have become virtually useless, even against entirely unarmoured targets. The CBU-97 (CBU-105) remains pretty effective against all targest including armour, provided you get a good hit, with deployment set to the optimum height. I generally find 1200 or 900 ft does the job best.

It is worth switching to Weapon view shortly before it disperses; it gives good indication of how it works.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Return to “F-16C Viper”