XI(F) Squadron Enrolment

Aircraft: F14B
F1GHTS-ON

Re: XI(F) Squadron Enrolment

Post by F1GHTS-ON »

jumped straight to this chat room from the introduction page.

Yes please for your consideration to join. I'm comfortable with SRS, Discord, but not yet ot teamspeak - so I can see a 1st lesson there for me already. Really keen to get fully immersed into RIO as well as Stick Monkey up front.

Working shifts this week, but still reading in on ALL the documentation & rules for RAF AIR UK. So apologies for what might be very disjointed/broken comms at my end.

I'll have a play at a signature block shortly - does "Midshipman" sound about right???
Student Pilot
"F1GHTS-ON"
FAA (RAF) Air UK - XI (F) Sqn FTS

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

I'm not up to date on the naval ranks, but is Ensign higher or lower than midshipman?
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Midshipmen are also known as squeakers, and are the next step up from deck hand. Traditionally, they were junior ranks, yet to be granted a commission, and dined on ships rats.

Ensigns are commissioned officers, I believe, the equivalent of Lt JG in the USN.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

Midshipman is the equivalent of a RAF Pilot Officer apparently. Anyway, for the time being until told otherwise, I have used my secret admin powers and done a basic Sig block for you mate. You just need to consider adding your first and last name (only if you want to) or an alter-ego name (for your cockpit canopy rail) either side of the Callsign as per mine below. Once you have passed your checkride and Alien has posted you to the Sqn I can add your rank :)
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

F1GHTS-ON

Post by F1GHTS-ON »

Steve ,

wow, thanks - back home after a busy 12 hour shift to find you've done all that - what a welcome to the sqn (no pressure then for me to perform???

The USN still has Midshipmen - but effectively mostly at their academy (I think?). The Ensign grade is now (I think) the equiv of a Pilot Officer (has 1 thin stripe) whereas the Lt (JG) is 1 & 1/2 stripes - equive to an RN Sub Lieut. Of course with so many Graduates joining these days it seems you jump straight in as a Sub Lt with Lt following on soon afterwards. Whereas in my day, being a "Middy" with those white tabs was licence to F*ck up at everything thrown your way, yet no one minded or complained 'cos you were just a Middy - I still believe the best rank in the whole navy! Of course back in the 60's & 70's you used to get your wings still as a Midshipman and be entrusted with a multi million pound jet, but on a salary that barely covered a few shandy's in the bar......although I would suggest that dinning on ship's rats probably went out of fashion some years ago !
Student Pilot
"F1GHTS-ON"
FAA (RAF) Air UK - XI (F) Sqn FTS

Return to “11(F) Squadron”