Johns Super Tomcat

Aircraft: F14B
Father Cool

Johns Super Tomcat

Post by Father Cool »

Last night on the way up on the first launch I found that I was having real trouble maintaining speed. I had to go gate at one point for around 10 seconds just to maintain speed.

At no point from cat to the end of this video did I go away from mil power except when I went gate for a few seconds, yet from the off John leaves me for dead and even shane flies by at the beginning. Granted Shane seems to be in the same boat as me on the way up looking at the mach meter but John never drops below 0.7 despite climbing every bit as hard as me and Shane.

I often find that I am lagging far behind other F-14s when on mil power and I can only assume that John has been tipping the engineer or something!

Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Mutley

Re: Johns Super Tomcat

Post by Mutley »

its in the 10 curve settings in user curves for throttle , stand by i will show you what mine are set at , mind you i do need to adjust them on the lower 5 settings

bugger and poo sticks to it my curves seem to have been reset , sorry about that , iam sure you can find the settings on line some place, once again sorry

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

I have my curves set buddy, your won't be the same as mine anyway as I don't have the same throttle.

I have the curve sorted to it is at full mil when my throttle is against the detent for the gate, as soon as I push through the burners light. Maybe I can eek out a tad more?
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Shaggy

Post by Shaggy »

Scooby's Autoaim program clearly does more than just guarantee splashes! ;)
Captain Simon "SHAGGY" Jones
RAF AIR UK - 664 Sqn 2ND IC and Instructor
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Shaggy wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 16:32 Scooby's Autoaim program clearly does more than just guarantee splashes! ;)
:lol:
Father I didn't slow down to let you catchup and I took off before you so I was always faster.
Once I got settled in the climb I spent a lot of time looking at the airspeed trying to maintain m0. 72 and if adjustment was needed just tweak the pitch.

The numbers I found for cruising and climbing were 0.75m for a clean ac and 0.72 for a loaded jet. I now try to stick to these wherever possible and it makes a big difference on fuel useage
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

I took off at the same time as you and I was doing exactly the same thing bud. I just couldn't get any more speed out of her without hitting the ab. Even then it only maintained speed unless a levelled out to let it creep up!
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Father Cool wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 17:07 I took off at the same time as you and I was doing exactly the same thing bud. I just couldn't get any more speed out of her without hitting the ab. Even then it only maintained speed unless a levelled out to let it creep up!
Only thing i can suggest is check throttle curves, my detent is just short of zone 1 ab so im sure im nailed on mil when im at the detent
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

john (scooby) wrote: 03 Jul 2020, 09:36
Father Cool wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 17:07 I took off at the same time as you and I was doing exactly the same thing bud. I just couldn't get any more speed out of her without hitting the ab. Even then it only maintained speed unless a levelled out to let it creep up!
Only thing i can suggest is check throttle curves, my detent is just short of zone 1 ab so im sure im nailed on mil when im at the detent
thats what i said lol :(

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Well I did have to redo my curves when I changed back over to steam but it is on mil at the detent according to the gauge in pit.

I may have another look but even if its at 99% I should still be able to climb without losing speed.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

What speed did you start the climb at?
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Return to “11(F) Squadron”