21/7 Op Portcullis (pt1)

Aircraft: F14B
john (scooby)

21/7 Op Portcullis (pt1)

Post by john (scooby) »

Tonight’s mission will now be changed to Op Portcullis. This is the first mission in a campaign put together by the planning staff of the OCU. It will be open to all units, and will run over the coming month or so on alternate Tuesday nights. Ade will post detailed briefings in due course, and co-ordinate with Squadron commanders.

Pre-flight briefing - 19:30 hrs Alpha.

Take off 20:00 hrs Alpha.

Atendees
Scooby
Mutley
Father cool
Alien

Pongo maybe
Last edited by john (scooby) on 16 Jul 2020, 04:06, edited 3 times in total.
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

john (scooby)

Re: 21/7 Op Portcullis (pt1)

Post by john (scooby) »

Op Portcullis is based on the threat of Iran closing the Straits of Hormuz by invading the top of the UAE peninsula. By doing this they can place Silkworm anti-shipping missle systems on both banks of the Strait and effectively prevent any shipping from entering.

The Campaign will consist of 5 phases:

Counter Air - winning the air war and degrading air assets. Kill enemy aircraft in the air, bomb airfields and airforce infrastructure, destroy SAM systems.
Air Interdiction - Attacking ifrastructure, power installations,roads, rail links, fuel depots, ports etc, reducing their ability to supply or move their forces.
Battlefield Interdiction - Attacking their forces in the field, destroying armour, artillery, MLRS systems, fortified positions and any supply dumps.
Maritime Operations - if necessary. Attacking military shipping, fast-attack boats and naval facilities.
Pre Invasion - Attacking ports, beach heads, coastal defences in preparation for NATO forces putting boots on the ground and fully regaining control of the Straits, restoring safe passage.

Each phase will consist of two or three missions. Each consecutive mission will be based on the results of the previous one, so be prepared to fly over the wreckage that you created on the last one. If an objective is not completed, it will be rescheduled and flown again in the next mission.

The Iranian forces that we are up against is based on Janes estimate of their "serviceable" strength and will diminish in real terms. By the same token, our stocks will be based on the same basis - Carriers will have a real world level of wpn stocks, as will land bases, so no unlimited amount of GBU's or LGB's, Phoenix etc or smart weapons. Waste stock and you'll be dropping dumb bombs, Sqn Cdrs take note.

Initially, waypoint planning will be done by the OCU for all Sqns with a FRAG to Sqn Cdrs giving them complete control over their loadouts, tactics, formations and fuel etc. Once everyone gets used to the FRAG and creating their own briefings, I am hoping that the .miz can be efficiently circulated through the Sqn Cdrs so that they can plan their own missions in every detail from their FRAG. This would get us into a far more realistic mission planning environment, making it far more immersive for all and reducing the planning load for any single entity. Efficiency is the key - if we go this way, Sqn Cdrs must turn the .miz around in 24hrs and pass it on to the next Sqn Cdr. I'm hoping that this can be done in a fixed order every time and I'll publish that once we get to that stage.

The first Mission will be a precursor to the campaign: Flying Into Theatre.
Some assets are in place in the UAE, having been there on exercise prior to the Invasion. The numbers here are based on the responses we have had to the initial publicity for the campaign, but now that we are running it on a Tuesday night I suspect that we will have to increase numbers, so don't panic, we will augment numbers as necessary but not last minute! If you want in, say so ASAP. Current numbers are:

OCU F18 up to 12 (Flying in on 1st mission)
NAS F18 4 (In country on ex)
AV8B 4 (Flying in)
A10C 8 (In country on ex)
F16 0 (due to tech problems with the DCS airframe)
F14 6 (Based on approaching Carrier Group from the East)

It's been a long road getting it all in place but I hope that we can give you an enjoyable and demanding look into war-fighting from the air. I am grateful for all the support on behalf of the OCU and look forward to seeing you all in the air.
Regards
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

in

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

I should be there, but its my daughters birthday the day before and my wife has an exam that day so, not sure if we are doing anything Tuesday night yet. More to follow, put me down as tentative for now.
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Pongo wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 19:19 I should be there, but its my daughters birthday the day before and my wife has an exam that day so, not sure if we are doing anything Tuesday night yet. More to follow, put me down as tentative for now.
rgr
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Important messege.
Airframe attrition IS in effect for this campaign so dont throw airframes away.
Its perfectly acceptable for red air to run away or simply avoid contact, DO NOT go north of the border under any circumstances
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Yep in on this.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Alien