Case 3

Aircraft: F14B
Mad dog

Case 3

Post by Mad dog »

Okay gents, tonight I went up and did a full case 3 in crap weather with zero vis as I have not done one in the tomcat for a while.

Starting next week, provided we can host a server for multiplayer between us, I am going to press ahead with teaching proper case 3 procedures to anyone who wants to learn it.

I propose to do 2 or 3 runs to pass. 1 run will be done in clear daylight conditions to get the procedures fixed in your minds and then the 2nd will be either inclement weather with bad vis or full dark night no weather restrictions. If you can land it safely with all procedures checked off in either of the 2nd attempt conditions, you pass case 3.
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

Alien

Re: Case 3

Post by Alien »

Good skills mucker, a pants day for me today so I'll throw some more practice into it, like everything it's a perishable skill set.

Well done mate, look forward to it, I will always host if need be.
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

The difficult it is getting to the commence point at exactly the push time. 30 seconds either way is acceptable.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Alien

Post by Alien »

I think for real Neil it's something like 10secs, if you have to cut your orbit short to make the time, that's fine, likewise if you need to make it a little longer to ensure your commence time..

The old Time- Speed - Distance comes into play doesn't it, in the F14 @ 210 IAS / 20%AOB = A 2Min turn.
ImageImageImage

Alien

Post by Alien »

I think for real Neil it's something like 10secs, if you have to cut your orbit short to make the time, that's fine, likewise if you need to make it a little longer to ensure your commence time..

The old Time- Speed - Distance comes into play doesn't it, in the F14 @ 210 IAS / 20%AOB = A 2Min turn.
ImageImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Yes, I was being generous for our steam driven fraternity :D :D :D

The tighter we can get the push times, the quicker we can get everyone aboard of course.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

The stack should be flown at a common speed, max conserve which for the Hornet is 250kts or thereabouts. I flew the tomcat at that speed last night and with a 30% AOB you get a roughly 1 minute turn which is to my mind, correct. The push time is usually 6 minutes from the point you call established at the 6:21 point, so a full accurately flown circuit of 2x 1minute turns and 2x 2 minute legs should put you at the commence (charlie) point at the expected push time. As Alien says, if you need to cut your circuit short, you can turn onto your last leg earlier thus cutting the circuit short, but you should try to avoid increasing your speed to achieve it or you run the risk of conflict. That said, provided all aircraft maintain correct altitude based on distance and position in the stack, we should be fine.

I would suggest all ac in the stack fly 250kts +/- 10kts to maintain the same size turns and stack pattern as well as separation so we don't end up with 2 jets at different altitudez hitting charlie at the same time.
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

Alien

Post by Alien »

Rgr the above mad dog,
ImageImageImage

Pinetree

Post by Pinetree »

Crash and Burn Baby!
If I was flying, Goose would still be alive!

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Mad dog wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 11:13 The stack should be flown at a common speed, max conserve which for the Hornet is 250kts or thereabouts. I flew the tomcat at that speed last night and with a 30% AOB you get a roughly 1 minute turn which is to my mind, correct. The push time is usually 6 minutes from the point you call established at the 6:21 point, so a full accurately flown circuit of 2x 1minute turns and 2x 2 minute legs should put you at the commence (charlie) point at the expected push time. As Alien says, if you need to cut your circuit short, you can turn onto your last leg earlier thus cutting the circuit short, but you should try to avoid increasing your speed to achieve it or you run the risk of conflict. That said, provided all aircraft maintain correct altitude based on distance and position in the stack, we should be fine.

I would suggest all ac in the stack fly 250kts +/- 10kts to maintain the same size turns and stack pattern as well as separation so we don't end up with 2 jets at different altitudez hitting charlie at the same time.
do you know how to tune radio in the back? and the datalink? if so sit in the back with us
oh and i can host np
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Return to “11(F) Squadron”