Short Range Sam, AI use and info

Relevant training information.
Duke

Re: Short Range Sam, AI use and info

Post by Duke »

They also seem very trigger happy, so if you can loiter around the edge of its range they all seem happy to spam all there missiles pretty quickly then are left as sitting ducks reloading. At least the 13 and 15 anyway

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Yes, but the Tunguska has 8 missiles, and the Tor has 6!
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Yes and they can both shoot down Mavericks in flight as well, very inconsiderate.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Duke

Post by Duke »

Flyco wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 19:44 Yes, but the Tunguska has 8 missiles, and the Tor has 6!
The Tor (15) definitely has 8 missiles before it needs to be reloaded not 6

shuggs

Post by shuggs »

RE the ZSU, as it's AAA and not a SAM, we should have range over it, right? There should be no reason an AGM can't safely take it out (unless there's a SAM around).

Duke wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 18:12
shuggs wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 09:09 Thanks for this Duke, really really helpful. So basically, if you see an SA 13, 19 or "S6" in your SA, just stay clear of its radius, would that be a safe bet?
No unfortunately. As the info says the zsu will already be firing on you before you see the "A" in your rwr. So it's lethal if not seen first.

The 15 is the "safest" as it comes online early on your rwr so you can turn away and assess whether to engage or not,

The 13, if you see "13" on your rwr, flare and turn away it's already fired I would say, at least 1 maybe 2 or 3 missiles

If you see "S6" the 19 is about to fire its radio guided missiles, so get twisting and turning, flares seem fairly ineffective as it's guiding it's missile by remote
Lieutenant Elie "Shuggs" Shuggi - RAF Air UK

Duke

Post by Duke »

shuggs wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 07:05 RE the ZSU, as it's AAA and not a SAM, we should have range over it, right? There should be no reason an AGM can't safely take it out (unless there's a SAM around).

Duke wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 18:12
shuggs wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 09:09 Thanks for this Duke, really really helpful. So basically, if you see an SA 13, 19 or "S6" in your SA, just stay clear of its radius, would that be a safe bet?
No unfortunately. As the info says the zsu will already be firing on you before you see the "A" in your rwr. So it's lethal if not seen first.

The 15 is the "safest" as it comes online early on your rwr so you can turn away and assess whether to engage or not,

The 13, if you see "13" on your rwr, flare and turn away it's already fired I would say, at least 1 maybe 2 or 3 missiles

If you see "S6" the 19 is about to fire its radio guided missiles, so get twisting and turning, flares seem fairly ineffective as it's guiding it's missile by remote
Yes definitely, but if it sees you first and you haven't seen the tracer incoming, your likely toast before you get a chance to react haha

Duke

Post by Duke »

For info 892/11. Bumping post

Plexi

Post by Plexi »

This awesome Duke, I can't fly at the moment but this is good info to read through. Very handy. Thanks.
Squadron Leader
Peter "Plexi" Sumner
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Quote: 'A superior Pilot may be defined as one who stays out of trouble by using his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the use of his superior skill'

Duke

Post by Duke »

Glad it's useful Plexi, I originally ran a training night with 1f with a side by side video/tacview showing just how sneaky some of these systems are. I'm happy to run through the video with yourself or anyone else in Rafair if they want to see it in real-time with RWR indication compared to what the ai unit is actually doing 😀

Plexi

Post by Plexi »

Sounds good. I'll get back to you regarding this after Xmas now if that's good with you. If you have already done this with the guys then they might not be interested but I will be for sure. Thanks.
Squadron Leader
Peter "Plexi" Sumner
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Quote: 'A superior Pilot may be defined as one who stays out of trouble by using his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the use of his superior skill'

Return to “Training”