General Training

Father Cool

General Training

Post by Father Cool »

Ok all some food for thought for the squadron.

We have over the past few months or so been learning/practicing new tactics in the air and expanding our capabilities as a squadron by adding ground attack to our portfolio. We have some way to go with this but most of us are making good progress I think.

However, after last weeks mission night it is clear that although competent pilots we have allowed the rust to form since not being in 'active duty' so to speak.

The issues that we have had and to some extent always had is down to the basics. We have on many occations lost pilots early due to SRS radio errors, hardware not set up correctly or so on and so forth. I understand that gremlins happen and no one is going to get dragged over the coals for technical issues, I know more than most as I have to set up my hardware from scratch each session, however it is up to us to get the hardware set up, working correctly and signed off with a personal tick box before joining servers ready to fly. We can't have aircraft sat burning fuel for 20 mins before taxying because someones SRS isn't working correctly.

Now that is out of the way lets move on to the basics of flight. I am not suggesting that we dedicate extra time to training as I for one don't have it, I can do Tuesday nights and Thursday nights most weeks and any other time is if I have something spare or is arranged in advance. What I am suggesting is that we use that time more effectively.

We need to work though the basics like comms, brevity, setting up on the runway, taking off and maintaining formation. It would also be good if we can all do AAR as I for one haven't nailed that yet in the cat.

After that we then need to work on how to work on mission timings and how we deal with air to air threats ie stand off etc.

I see the other squadrons working through this and we need to keep up if we are to be taken seriously.

Regards
FC
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

john (scooby)

Re: General Training

Post by john (scooby) »

here here, i HIGHLY recommend every member enrols in the ocu and go at least upto the fm phase, very informative
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

The problem with that is that it takes extra time and is FA18 based which I don't have. The only HD aircraft I have is the F14 and AV8B. Also OCU level training doesn't suit everyone.

However I think that it wouldn't hurt to put together a sylabus of sorts that we can as a squadron work through to improve the way that we conduct ourselves in the air.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Father Cool wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 17:24 The problem with that is that it takes extra time and is FA18 based which I don't have. The only HD aircraft I have is the F14 and AV8B. Also OCU level training doesn't suit everyone.

However I think that it wouldn't hurt to put together a sylabus of sorts that we can as a squadron work through to improve the way that we conduct ourselves in the air.
the early phases are np in the f14 thats what i did
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Ok fair enough. I will certainly have a look at what that entails.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Father Cool wrote: 11 Apr 2020, 17:27 Ok fair enough. I will certainly have a look at what that entails.
if a muppet like me can do it you guys will be fine lol
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Haha. I'm just concerned about time thats all.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Alien

Post by Alien »

Im more than happy to give it go, might we be taken a little more seriously if we are seen by some, no names no pack drill. to at least try and learn from the OCU,

Theres always something to take on board.
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

its open to all lads, just ask to get on the whatsapp and request to be put on, it isnt hard logistically either, just arrange a time between you and turn up, thats it
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Alien

Post by Alien »

john (scooby) wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 06:34 its open to all lads, just ask to get on the whatsapp and request to be put on, it isnt hard logistically either, just arrange a time between you and turn up, thats it
Is it Ade that we contact ?
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Return to “Training Wing”