Another great night testing systems

Shaggy

Another great night testing systems

Post by Shaggy »

Me and Shane went into some depth with the NAV Grid last night.

We used Father Cool's basic A-G mission as we know the basic layout of that scenario.

We made our YY point Guadata Airbase which is 35-40 miles NW of the target area
The True heading set to 135 degrees, 3 sectors spilt to a 120 degree arc.

At 200 mile Radar range and set to Fighter to Fighter on the Datalink, with the settings set as above before we took off, we was able to monitor ourselves take off from Kutaisi. We headed for Waypoint 1 then to Waypoint 2.

The 3 sectors at that NAV Grid heading Gave us a spread of area to cover in the EAST (Sector 1) SOUTH EAST (Sector 2) and South (Sector 3) of Guadata.

Waypoint 1 and 2 was nicely in the middle of sector 2, and waypoint 3 (Target area) is just over the border Sector 1. We spilt at Waypoint 2 and took CAP patrol orbits in Sector 1 and Sector 3 and was able to monitor each other nicely via the datalink in our Sectors.

We was also able to easily locate each other from the display and rejoin formation from ovber 50miles away without any need for real Comms.

We then Buddy spiked each other to learn what info the Nav Grid tells us so we can communicate to each other. When you are locked up to a target and in Nav Grid mode, your BRA Callouts will be in reference to the YY cordinates and we found this incredibly easy to work out where that will be in reference to your grid display. When you turn off Nav Grid and go back to your normal TID display, any locked target info is then in reference to your own aircarft

When in NAV Grid mode, next to each contact is a letter next to a number. The number as always is the contacts altitude. 5000-14999ft is 1, 15000-24999 is 2, 25000-34999 is 3 and so on. The letter before the number is a rough distance reference from the YY. A is 0-49 miles from YY, B is 50-99 miles from YY, C is 100-149 miles from YY and so on.

Another cool feature we noticed was that if one of us was to make a Mark Point on the F10 map, and then ask Jester to select, that Mark Point as the Nav Grid YY. It is shared across everyone else to select. Essentially it will appear as an option in your Jester Wheel!

Anyway it was just another awsome night of learning this bird more and she doesnt fail to keep surprising me of how intuitive she really can be!
Captain Simon "SHAGGY" Jones
RAF AIR UK - 664 Sqn 2ND IC and Instructor
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mutley

Re: Another great night testing systems

Post by Mutley »

omg wow im confused but iam sure that today you will teach me n some of oh other stick monkeys

Shaggy

Post by Shaggy »

Mutley wrote: 09 May 2020, 07:58 omg wow im confused but iam sure that today you will teach me n some of oh other stick monkeys
yes no problem Mutley! it sounds really complicated but its not, honest!
ImageImage

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Shaggy wrote: 09 May 2020, 08:06
Mutley wrote: 09 May 2020, 07:58 omg wow im confused but iam sure that today you will teach me n some of oh other stick monkeys
its the same with most things in our cat , which is why i loves it

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Mutleys still trying to work out how to tune the radio to pick up john denvers greatest hits
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Shaggy

Post by Shaggy »

john (scooby) wrote: 09 May 2020, 08:44
Mutleys still trying to work out how to tune the radio to pick up john denvers greatest hits
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Excellent work guys. This is something that we really need to impliment during missions.

I think this is something that we all need to get to grips with.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

I had a look at it yesterday with Jester, but I will need a proper run through Shaggy if that's okay.

Great work though fellas.
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

Shaggy

Post by Shaggy »

Pongo wrote: 09 May 2020, 09:12 I had a look at it yesterday with Jester, but I will need a proper run through Shaggy if that's okay.

Not a problem Pongo, it would be good to get at least 4 birds in air all set up the same, and give it a real going over. Once it all becomes apparent, and you get the picture, I find it easier to work out than the A10 TAD page.
ImageImage

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

Shaggy wrote: 09 May 2020, 11:35
Pongo wrote: 09 May 2020, 09:12 I had a look at it yesterday with Jester, but I will need a proper run through Shaggy if that's okay.

Not a problem Pongo, it would be good to get at least 4 birds in air all set up the same, and give it a real going over. Once it all becomes apparent, and you get the picture, I find it easier to work out than the A10 TAD page.
this is what ive been banging on about for 2 days lol , and as for john devnver hell yes but also to find his missing kite i thought maybe i could zero in on his transponder

Return to “Training Wing”