Thurs 4th Feb Training

Alien

Re: Thurs 4th Feb Training

Post by Alien »

It was a fun flight and good to have 892 NAS with us, dare I say room for improvement and I speak for myself only, but given that we haven't covered this particular skillset often or not at all in some cases, it was a good learning experience, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Alien

Post by Alien »

It was a fun flight and good to have 892 NAS with us, dare I say room for improvement and I speak for myself only, but given that we haven't covered this particular skillset often or not at all in some cases, it was a good learning experience, thoroughly enjoyed it.
It was that fun I posted it twice
Shane Cowan callsign: 'ALIEN' - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Sounds great, would have like to have joined in but work doesn't allow me much time at the moment. :?
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Mad dog

Post by Mad dog »

We will do a Case 3 session in daylight conditions for all those who haven't done it before or were unsure of the procedures. It can be a but daunting the first time you try it if all you have done is read the slide. I'm happy to fly it with anyone who needs to learn it before they try it in the dark or bad weather.
Flight Lieutenant
Steve "Mad dog" Loates
RAF Air UK - XI (F) Sqn

Sqn Chief Flying Instructor

Image Image
Image ImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

After last night, we, I think, agreed to use AI ATC and try to sequence initials to avoid overloading it.

Please, also note that the F10 section of the radios menu is for restarting missions, and should be left alone during a session.

Start up can be from the boat or land base, and you should fly to a point between 30 and 50 miles astern before calling inbound.

Radio calls:

1. Inbound - when making this call, you will be provided with your altitude, DME push range, radial and BRC.

2. Once you are in the pattern, at the correct altitude and on the correct radial, call established.

3. When you are at your push point and in the correct time slot, call Commencing. You will be handed off to the tower by approach radar shortly after starting your 4000 fpm descent.

4. Check in with tower when handed off.

5. Platform call is to be made when passing 5000 ft and reducing descent rate to 2000 fpm.

6. You will receive several calls, starting at 10 miles with radar contact, followed by fly the ball and entering glide slope. These are all answered automatically. Dirty up at 8 miles and get on-speed at that point.

At 3/4 miles, you will be asked to call the ball and will then get guidance from the LSO all the way to your trap.

Please keep Teamspeak talk to essentials during the mission so other pilots can hear their ATC calls.

Finally, the main purpose of the mission is to hone your skills in the pattern. Particularly, airspeed, altitude discipline, and most importantly, hitting your push times to within +/- 10 seconds. The last point will require careful planning in the pattern, and application of some basic principles - 30 degree turns should take 1 1/2 minutes at 250 knots. You will cover 5 miles in one minute. A full 1 mile pattern circuit should take 7 minutes. Varying the length of the legs within the circuit will allow you to achieve timings.

Pattern altitude and DME are calculated by adding 15 to your altitude in thousands of feet. ie. 8,000 feet will equate to 23 miles DME, or 10,000 feet will equate to 25 miles DME. In this way, the pattern stack will be staggered back and upwards from the carrier.

If you bolter or are waved off, climb to 1500 feet, clean up but keep 1/2 flaps, climbing straight ahead for 5 miles before turning back parallel to the boat and rejoining 8 miles astern, dirtying up again prior to rejoining the radial. Continue as before to a trap.

We will be able to add Case II practice when the radios bug has been fixed.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Chris

Post by Chris »

Just a note, I was always a little perplexed as to what was the 'button' number related to in Ai responses leaving the Marshal... I was chatting with someone from 11th, (Alien, Shaggy ? forget) after some Case 3 practice and we were trying to figure it out and a google search turned up 'frequency' but what for never found out - Sorta thought Tower but....

More digging found it. It relates to the radio used for ACLS (known as needles) and is not yet implemented in the F18. The ACLS uses a AN/SPN-46 (SPIN 46) which is dual band with 2x TX & RX allowing use to control 2 aircraft at the same time in a leapfrog manner.

'BUTTON 15' ( often given in ai directions at Marshal) known as 'A' and 'BUTTON 17' known as 'B' are the 2 freqs used by the SPIN-46... if all that makes sense.

Another area that always confused me was the terms 'NEEDLES' and 'BULLSEYE' given by ai.

I've cleared that too..... 'ish....

Using ICLS will display 'needles' but ai relate to this as 'BULLSEYE'

Using ACLS will display a little circle in the HUD that you fit into the VV circle BUT ai relate to this as 'NEEDLES'

Came across this great PDF 'Aircraft Carrier Operating Procedures for DCS World 2.5 This is of an extremely high standard, the best I've ever seen. Maybe you have it, if not well worth a look. Here's my Drive link if you want it.... https://drive.google.com/file/d/155Vy4X ... sp=sharing
Kind Regards
Chris :)

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Neil Willis wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 09:55 After last night, we, I think, agreed to use AI ATC and try to sequence initials to avoid overloading it.

Please, also note that the F10 section of the radios menu is for restarting missions, and should be left alone during a session.

Start up can be from the boat or land base, and you should fly to a point between 30 and 50 miles astern before calling inbound.

Radio calls:

1. Inbound - when making this call, you will be provided with your altitude, DME push range, radial and BRC.

2. Once you are in the pattern, at the correct altitude and on the correct radial, call established.

3. When you are at your push point and in the correct time slot, call Commencing. You will be handed off to the tower by approach radar shortly after starting your 4000 fpm descent.

4. Check in with tower when handed off.

5. Platform call is to be made when passing 5000 ft and reducing descent rate to 2000 fpm.

6. You will receive several calls, starting at 10 miles with radar contact, followed by fly the ball and entering glide slope. These are all answered automatically. Dirty up at 8 miles and get on-speed at that point.

At 3/4 miles, you will be asked to call the ball and will then get guidance from the LSO all the way to your trap.

Please keep Teamspeak talk to essentials during the mission so other pilots can hear their ATC calls.

Finally, the main purpose of the mission is to hone your skills in the pattern. Particularly, airspeed, altitude discipline, and most importantly, hitting your push times to within +/- 10 seconds. The last point will require careful planning in the pattern, and application of some basic principles - 30 degree turns should take 1 1/2 minutes at 250 knots. You will cover 5 miles in one minute. A full 1 mile pattern circuit should take 7 minutes. Varying the length of the legs within the circuit will allow you to achieve timings.

Pattern altitude and DME are calculated by adding 15 to your altitude in thousands of feet. ie. 8,000 feet will equate to 23 miles DME, or 10,000 feet will equate to 25 miles DME. In this way, the pattern stack will be staggered back and upwards from the carrier.

If you bolter or are waved off, climb to 1500 feet, clean up but keep 1/2 flaps, climbing straight ahead for 5 miles before turning back parallel to the boat and rejoining 8 miles astern, dirtying up again prior to rejoining the radial. Continue as before to a trap.

We will be able to add Case II practice when the radios bug has been fixed.
why extend out 5 miles on a bolter? the sop says climb to 1200 feet and just rejoin the patern
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

I have read material that says to do so. I’ll investigate further.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Chris

Post by Chris »

john (scooby) wrote: 06 Feb 2021, 16:27 why extend out 5 miles on a bolter? the sop says climb to 1200 feet and just rejoin the patern
I think you will find that SOP you are referring to is wrong if aligned to the US Navy.

Case 3 wave off's / bolters are different from Case 1 / 2 recoveries.

In case 3 throttles climb wings level gear up half flaps at 150 knots to 1200' on final bearing (flight deck) and await ATC directions. Do not turn until told. Turns to be flat. On reaching 4 miles or 2 minutes ahead of the ship if nothing heard (which will be DCS) assume comms failure and execute a turn downwind reporting downwind abeam. If no still no comms dirty up 4nm past ship and turn onto approach.

If you have DCS comms and there is a stack coming in I would continue out to 30 DME and come in again.... however if no one inbound at 4dme then just 180 onto approach BUT this is all subject to 11 SDQNs dictate of course.

At least that is what books say :)
Kind Regards

Chris

Post by Chris »

Kind Regards

Return to “Training Wing”