Squadron Notice

Squadron Important Information.
Matt
Site Admin

Squadron Notice

Post by Matt »

Hi all,

I have had a quick chat with Roon (Ade) about some possible inclusion to their progressing F18 OCU campaign they are presently flying with 3(F) Squadron providing top cover. He is keen to have more aircraft types operating within his campaign in future missions!

This is a wonderful opportunity for us to work closely with the OCU and 3(F) Squadron in a very testing progressive mission environment, however before we take this step I would like to take a focus on to some more in depth training, as anyone who has flown with the F18 guys will know how highly competent they are and what a shining example they provide to the whole of RAF Air, they deserve our very best in every sense of the word. As you are all aware, I much prefer low level tactics and as confident in all your abilities flying the Harrier and dropping ordinance....... however we must strive to be of the highest standard to ensure we represent 1(F) Squadron in the right way and therefore make sure our services are at the forefront of the minds of our sister squadrons when they require some assistance in any area of operations!

We need to focus on the way that we fly during ingress as well as our egress from targets, those who have flown with me will have heard me preach on this before, however the Harrier more than most aircraft in DCS is at a massive risk of a bounce from enemy fighters but the way in which we fly and make our turns can mitigate this by ensuring we maintain visuals on one another at all times during our flight plan, and this is the main area we are lacking as a group (I know a few of us have been practicing exactly this in our spare time and for that I applaud you) my wish is to get at minimal a four ship well practiced and on standby to provide the F18C's assistance at short notice.

Therefore, I am attaching a folder with formation material and a tacview that demonstrates the low-level tactical turns I wish for us to master over the coming weeks, please study it so we can progress as a unit.

We have amassed an amazing bunch of pilots in 1(F) Squadron far from when it started and I was pretty much the sole pilot, now we must prove our worth!

Just on a final note from me, RAF Air UK has provided me many people I can happily call friends and even given me the pleasure to command 1(F) Squadron with a great bunch of Harrier pilots, therefore RAF Air UK has given us the chance to fly with like minded friends, so we owe the rest of the group the very best in terms of our conduct in the Harrier to bring the best of the Harrier to RAF Air UK!

Formations Lesson.zip
(2.54 MiB) Downloaded 144 times
Can I get a roll call below of all Harrier pilots that are interested in taking our squadron flying to the next level!

Matt.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Hendo

Re: Squadron Notice

Post by Hendo »

Sounds good Matt. I'm up for it
Image Image
Squadron Leader Ari "Hendo" Hendriks - RAF Air UK
1(F) Squadron
Image Image ImageImage

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Me too, count me in

I found this video useful for understanding formation turns

https://youtu.be/vpImglOTs0A

Formation turns start around the 11 min mark
Plt Off Ian 'Robbo' Robson
Image Image

oz555

Post by oz555 »

100% in for as technical and demanding as you can make it Matt. I just hope my brain can keep up.
Flight Lieutenant Mike Ozanne - RAF Air UK
Image Image
Image Image

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Good to go!

Plexi

Post by Plexi »

Would love to be part of this great Squadron in rescuing...er ..i mean helping our buddies up above as well as below. ;)
Squadron Leader
Peter "Plexi" Sumner
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Quote: 'A superior Pilot may be defined as one who stays out of trouble by using his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the use of his superior skill'

Dutch

Post by Dutch »

I am up for this. If we could have a set training day, that would be perfect for me.

Robbo

Post by Robbo »

Dutch wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 21:51 I am up for this. If we could have a set training day, that would be perfect for me.
That would be good for me also, then I can plan around it. Thursday is the usual training evening, would that work for everyone?

Obviously training could happen at other times as well, but if we have a fixed weekly training session I think that would be good for the Sqn.
Plt Off Ian 'Robbo' Robson
Image Image

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

Sounds like a great idea, I mean Thursday's always used to be a training night, how would that work for everyone?
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Thursday works for me also.

Return to “Squadron Admin”