Monday 18th May Nav Grid Training Session

Father Cool

Re: Monday 18th May Nav Grid Training Session

Post by Father Cool »

Yes I thought you did. Sounds like it worked ok although the version you have is far from finished. I'm currently working on improving a few bugs in that mission. If you have any suggestions please let me know. What was the difficulty like? Too easy or ok?

I will add a few surprises also so it' s not just the same thing next time.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Shaggy

Post by Shaggy »

Father Cool wrote: 19 May 2020, 06:41 Yes I thought you did. Sounds like it worked ok although the version you have is far from finished. I'm currently working on improving a few bugs in that mission. If you have any suggestions please let me know. What was the difficulty like? Too easy or ok?

Enemy Helicopter on the pad did not blow up even after receiving a GBU 16 to the face!
I think we could have a few more SAM’s in place. 2x Talds clear the area easy
Notification that friendly ground forces are being attacked by Red ground forces. Could provide co-ords for A-G flight to break off and assist?
Provide co-Ords in mission briefing page for Hostile Area, IP, Surface Target. We can then add additional symbology to the AO and good for Lantern designation.
Captain Simon "SHAGGY" Jones
RAF AIR UK - 664 Sqn 2ND IC and Instructor
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Shaggy wrote: 19 May 2020, 09:06
Father Cool wrote: 19 May 2020, 06:41 Yes I thought you did. Sounds like it worked ok although the version you have is far from finished. I'm currently working on improving a few bugs in that mission. If you have any suggestions please let me know. What was the difficulty like? Too easy or ok?

Enemy Helicopter on the pad did not blow up even after receiving a GBU 16 to the face!
I think we could have a few more SAM’s in place. 2x Talds clear the area easy
Notification that friendly ground forces are being attacked by Red ground forces. Could provide co-ords for A-G flight to break off and assist?
Provide co-Ords in mission briefing page for Hostile Area, IP, Surface Target. We can then add additional symbology to the AO and good for Lantern designation.
The helicopter wasn't a direct hit. Whan alien called shack I thought the splash a
Had set it off but I didn't see it.
Ps I did notice red tanks were kiing blue tanks but didn't have a clue if should've mentioned it or not
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Yes a lot of those are being dealt with currently. The helicopter usually get smashed to crap if hit. I don't think thats a bug.

As for giving co'ords for the tanks etc its a difficult one. I don't want us to be all knowing. However maybe I can send co ords on the fly when they activate. I will look into that.

The idea was that the mission would be done in parts so there would be a reccy mission to obtain co ords before setting out on the attack mission. Kind of like a campaign eventually.

I will take you comments however and modify the mission.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Matt
Site Admin

Post by Matt »

A few points reference my flight with you all last night.

Firstly I would like to say very great work from Shaggy for teaching the Navgrid to an inexperienced F14 pilot (me) it was very informative and I learnt exactly how we could use it to not only benefit yourselves but also the wider group!

Obviously anyone who knows the F14 is aware that without a moving map or SA page in the aircraft you lack the in-flight knowledge that most modern jets have but with the use of the Navgrid you guys can gain a lot of that back and even coordinate yourselves better in flight to maintain a substantial CAP over a wide area.

Communications was a marked improvement from what I have seen in the past, and I think Shane has a lot to do with that from what I saw last night, well done for getting your CO in line when it came to the climb out....its good to see a stern hand come in when required, with your new ability to use the Navgrid I see your in-flight communications being more important than ever....therefore keeping it short, sweet and pertinent is going to be massively important moving forward.

A side note on comms which I think i mentioned last night, the use if a guard frequency for a in flight is mot hest practice as like we saw it will be transmitted across other frequencies if radios are selected so. However live and learn but better as always to find this out in practice then on a Tuesday night.

On the A/G side sadly I didn't see much of this but I am very keen to see the capabilities so will be in touch with Father Cool or Shane in the near future, however it seemed like it was effective nether the less.

SEAD, the use of the decoys to lure SAMs to a launch worked wonderfully and I can see an additional use for 11 in this area aswell, the ability to remove missiles from the equation is something that could be very beneficial to our heavy hitting A10's indeed.

As for the CAP, things worked well initially once we were aware of incoming fighters we maneuvered to engage them and I myself got a kill with a phoenix (I know right......the F14 rookie got a kill) however we let a second slip through....which was largely down to my incompetent ability in handling of the F14 ....however we will brush over this :lol:

I feel if myself and the boss man had set up a opposite heading for our CAP ( I.e one of us heading south while the other heads back to the north) we would have been able to mop up the squirter more efficiently.

All in all it was a very positive flight looking at a broad range of things you guts can achieve, and very interesting to see and practice your Navgrid which i feel is indispensable for you guys moving forward....but will require to notch communications for all pilots to achieve absolute success!

I look forward to seeing your structured A/A on Wednesday.

Matt.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

All very vaild points. All points are a work in process.

My question is who the hell are you and have you registered ? :D :lol: :D :lol:

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

Thanks for the write up matt, we really are working to improve in every area and i think you saw that last night.
Navgrid is an eye opener! Without it last night i wouldve been shot in the arse by a mig29 that was gunning for me and came screaming past the cap at full tilt! Without navgrid i wouldve had no idea it was intercepting me.
Yiur death in the dogfght was a simple mistake by a rookie pilot (in the f14), dont worry about it.
The decoys worked perfectly! I also noticed something id change slightly next time i drop 1 (more speed and maybe lob it if im below angels 30 but it needs testing).
It was a pleasure to fly with you again matey.
Pps im a big fan of opposing cap headings for that exact reason.
Ppps shane and shaggy were brilliant last night, top marks to both of them, im sure our co will agree with that too
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Mutley

Post by Mutley »

john (scooby) wrote: 19 May 2020, 10:24 Thanks for the write up matt, we really are working to improve in every area and i think you saw that last night.
Navgrid is an eye opener! Without it last night i wouldve been shot in the arse by a mig29 that was gunning for me and came screaming past the cap at full tilt! Without navgrid i wouldve had no idea it was intercepting me.
Yiur death in the dogfght was a simple mistake by a rookie pilot (in the f14), dont worry about it.
The decoys worked perfectly! I also noticed something id change slightly next time i drop 1 (more speed and maybe lob it if im below angels 30 but it needs testing).
It was a pleasure to fly with you again matey.
Pps im a big fan of opposing cap headings for that exact reason.
Ppps shane and shaggy were brilliant last night, top marks to both of them, im sure our co will agree with that too
gets my vote. and whos this CO chap ? :D

Father Cool

Post by Father Cool »

Sounds like it all went swimmingly.

The navgrid was a definate eye opener for all of us. Before that SA was a real problem in the cat.
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

could somebody please send me the tacview pretty please
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Return to “Training Missions”