0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Thursday 21st Training

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Thursday 21st May 2020

Tonight's training mission:
Situations Awareness Data Link (SADL).

Purpose:
97 Squadron to become proficient in using SADL.

Outcome:
97 squadron pilots will find it easy to communicate between each other and will be confident in employing SADL in future missions.

Prerequisite:
Controls set up, TS and basic knowledge of SADL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTR5C7w ... dex=2&t=0s

Another good video, watch from 6min.

https://youtu.be/9DI-LeGcuz8

And a simple guide for sending messages, including to aircraft not on your net. Using TN.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1118530507

Pre-flight briefing - 19:30 hrs Alpha.

Take off - 20:00 hrs Alpha.

Mission will be held by Louis.

Please sign up below

Louis
Andrew
Neal
Paul
Flyco
Last edited by 0405 Andrew on 17 May 2020, 18:03, edited 8 times in total.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

0413 Luis

Re: Thursday 21st Training

Post by 0413 Luis »

Ready to roll

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Im in please
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

I'd like to try this, but I can't guarantee I'll be there, I'll either be there or not, If I'm not there by 19:45, I probably won't be.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

There will be an air start in case you want to pop in later.

I'm thinking there should be an early morning version too. 6am start :lol: Louis, you in on that?
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I will try and make that.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

From Louis, tonight's briefing.

Hello everyone.

Today I would like to suggest a training mission for target sharing, as follows:

Method 1- SPI brodcast.
Lead broadcast SPI and designate one of the pilots to pick up his target. The designated pilot also switches on his SPI. (The other pilots must keep their OFF to avoid confusion). The pilot confirms the type of target and coordinate. Lead gives authorization to engage and type of weapon. Pilot turns off SPI

Method 2- Task send
Lead pick up target with SPI broadcast off. On TAD choose a pilot and send a task. The pilot turns on his SPI (only for lead to confirm that the pilot is with the SPI in the correct spot) confirms coordinates and type of target. Lead authorizes attack and weapon type. Pilot turns off SPI

All the targets are with waypoints as IP, not flight plan. For that reason, lead must be with steer knob on MISSION, so is easy to pick targets. Targets are identified on wp name. Other pilots shall remain on flight plan.

All aicrafts will be on STATION 1 at different altitudes, 1 or 2 thousand feet separation, in a 45' bank right (to keep TGP under fuselage). Once run to target goes to STATION 2. and keep the same altitude and orbit as in STATION 1.
Repeat same procedure back to STATION 1

Once all pilots done his attack, other turns Lead and previous lead recives task.

Take off from Batumi
Airfield freq. 131.0 will also be common (Or TS)
Altitude will depend of nr aircrafts in air, no less than 8000ft.

SAM's are spawn by radio menu. There are wp for them, but they are not alive. Since this is a target aquiring mission they must not be spawn and are not targets.

Please check the attached file map.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Attachments
BLUE RANGE.png
BLUE RANGE.png (843.73 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

dinglee

Post by dinglee »

Ill try to get there

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Training debriefing

Attendees:
Paul
Louis
Andrew
Geoff
Neal

Objective:
The objective of the evening's training was to get familiar with using SADL and to pass on targets to other squadron pilots easily.

Objective outcome:
Personally I gained a lot from the training last night. Using the TAD I was able to receive tasking from various flight members, I was able to identify the target and confirm coordinates. I was then able to do the same with other members of the flight. I felt that we all sent targets back and forth quite freely.

The way the training was set up, helped a lot. Louis put together a clear plan of what we were to practice, the goals were defined and limited enough that a 1 hour session was enough to make good progress. Posting a video and other information in good time in the training mission thread, meant, that if you were not familiar with the task, it was easy to gain the background knowledge needed. I personally watched the video again prior to the evening's training and I also practised in single player.

Moving forward:
Louis mission was set up with station's to orbit at, while awaiting tasking. I personally was not familiar with this and I believe I was a little unorganised, I started the orbit left instead of right. As we are now more familiar with working with SADL and each other, should we do this session again, but now pay more attention to command of the air space and stations.
I was also not familiar with buddy lasing and will need a session on this.

I would be very interested in all your thoughts.
0405 ANDREW

"Andrew, you are right"
Image ImageImage Image

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

In general I think that the SADL exercise was very positive in terms of receiving and sending tasks.
As for the SPI broadcast I noticed some flaws, both because it was not clear its use for target sharing, as turning it on and off depending on the need was a little confusing.
The transition between STATION1 and 2 was (more or less) done and was possible to have some organization above target area.

To improve:

1- Define order who sends task.
In my opinion we shall do by pilot order (NET nr) who is "the sender". So Boar 11 send task to 12, all wait for confirmation of coordinates and target from 12.
After clearance from 11, goes 13 and so on.
In the end only 11 remain on station 1.
Boar 12 send task to 11, to 13, and so on.

2- Define a order to exercice.
I realized that we were all sending task and not sharing SPI.
I guess, if we also do it in a order we will benefit, So, for example, Boar 11 start by send task, then 12, etc... when return to 11 change method to SPI share (also buddy lase and coordinate input we shall train)

I believe that if we do it next time, it will be even better.
Or, instead of going from Station 1 to 2, we can make a large orbit around target range. It all depends on what we want to achieve. In RL, I believe that it is wiser to be in an area that we know there are no other threats; on the other hand, to concentrate on pure exercise, a large orbit will keep things simpler.

I can improve the mission as need, for example a trigger to advise we are in or out of station.
Also we all can set a altitude window so the system give us warning we are out of stablish altitude (done on cockpit)

In the end there is all a world of posibilities we can take advantage in this (and other) missions, let's not forget the target range patterns and TOT.

Cheers

Return to “Training Mission Briefings”