See you at 1930Z sharp.

Falcon
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: A-10C OCU

Post by Flyco »

OK, gents, I have just reviewed the TacView from last night and it went rather better than I had first thought. The formation wasn't too bad: a bit loose in places, but basically everyone was more or less where they should be - my main criticism is that we needed to spread out wider; there is always a tendency to stay too close in. The R/T was a bit off in places, but that was largely due to some SRS/system problems and a lack of experience. Following a request from another member, I am going to try and put the basic R/T standardisation on paper. As a general guide, there was too much said last night, and the uncertainty that was evident in a lot of the R/T traffic was apparent. However, that will come with practice.

The time we took to knock out the AD units was a little protracted, and the recognition left a lot to be desired. The same goes for the knowledge of the different capabilities of the different systems. I have some single page sheets of this data, and I will try and track it down and publish it. These are all weapon systems that you will meet over and over again in our DCS missions and knowing how to kill them and avoid being killed will be vital. You could hear how Paul was itching to knock out the 2 main killers, Tor and Tunguska (as was I), that is as a result of being killed by them too often in the past! The other option with both is to get above their max ht (generally around 23,000 agl), and to use a GBU, but when they are on high ground (1800 ft last night), they can reach up to nearly 25,000 ft. To get to that height in an A-10C, requires a long time or a low fuel/weapons load.

See you next time, by when I hope to have some more info out on the R/T.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

oz555

Post by oz555 »

I watched a 30 minute documentary on Tor this morning, so I should be a bit more on the ball next time. Communications were a major problem last night, with SRS playing up for Tusk lead and others unintelligible which really threw the sortie off kilter for me. It might be a good idea if we all pair up with someone online over the next few days to test our SRS comms and find some settings that work.

I'm really enjoying the sortie and I think over the next few weeks things will click and we will come along nicely as a group.

Thanks again for your efforts Flyco, looking forward to the next one.
Flight Lieutenant Mike Ozanne - RAF Air UK
Image Image
Image Image

maggsy

Post by maggsy »

If I might add a comment to assist in the SRS issues especially on mission nights
It was suggested that one of our alternate servers running be used as a pre-mission check for srs/comms issues, it would take a few moments to join and run a quick comms check prior to joining the main server for your mission.
By using a satellite server as the test bed it will not activate any triggers associated with the main server mission.
Just a thought it is something I am considering asking the guys to do.

I cannot claim the fame for this I think it was Sukebe who suggested it, it is his bright idea
Last edited by maggsy on 14 Feb 2020, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Flight Lieutenant Steve "maggsy" Maggs - RAFAir UK
ImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Good idea Maggsy.

We could also incorporate the check as part of the briefing routine. Everyone logging in to the secondary server and running a quick radio check as the opening briefing actiony, then hopping back out for the briefing to begin in earnest perhaps?
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

Hi gents,
I find easier to fly an aircraft irl than in sim where you have to bind everything and you don't know where you've bound what.
Of course i am not trying to excuse myself and 99% of all comments i suppose are on me, and they are totally justified... I screw up the mission.
I was planning to join the mission as secondary hog and just listen to the comms and get accustomed to it and in the end log in a flight from one airport to another.
But actually i joined the operational part, for which i was completely unprepared...
As an actual pilot, i have the experience of flight but the operational/military part is a bit far from the civil aviation. Of course i am such a newbie on the aircraft too as <10h is nothing...
I am trying to learn though, and for that i am counting on you and your patience mostly, and i am thankful.
It was the first time i used SRS and the configuration (open speaker) was not the best one, which created a lot of noise in comms. Planning to test a headset next time with any of you that can before any mission
so i suppose this will be solved.
Also i have no clue of the SAM Systems and how they look like and their ranges etc, so i was shot eventually. Also this can be quite fixed by studying a bit on them, pictures etc so i can recognize them and to know what are you talking about, when you refer to any of them, but also i suppose it needs practice and time. Till now i was trying to learn to fly the aircraft.
Anyway thanks for giving me the opportunity to fly with you and i hope next time to be better.
Sorry again guys.

Falcon
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

We're always happy to assist a new pilot where needed Falcon.

Just keep going at your own pace, and ask questions as much as you like. Remember the only daft question is the one you don't ask.

You'll always be welcome to participate in missions, as that is the place you will learn fastest, and most.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

Hello Sir.
Once again, thank you for yesterday flight.
I think we have a great group here and everyone is in the same tune.
Thanks to your effort and time, I'm sure very soon we will have a group of proeficient pilots.
I will work arround the procedures you resume here, and also do some research about QFE.
I think it will be easy to get us (the new guys) together and train acording with your instructions.
Cheers and thank you again.

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

Falcon count with me to help. I know you are a dedicated person, and that does all the difference.
I would say that you really have to improve your mic and PTT coordination. But in the rest we all are learning.
Cheers

oz555

Post by oz555 »

Falcon wrote: 14 Feb 2020, 16:40 Hi gents,
I find easier to fly an aircraft irl than in sim where you have to bind everything and you don't know where you've bound what.
Of course i am not trying to excuse myself and 99% of all comments i suppose are on me, and they are totally justified... I screw up the mission.
I was planning to join the mission as secondary hog and just listen to the comms and get accustomed to it and in the end log in a flight from one airport to another.
But actually i joined the operational part, for which i was completely unprepared...
As an actual pilot, i have the experience of flight but the operational/military part is a bit far from the civil aviation. Of course i am such a newbie on the aircraft too as <10h is nothing...
I am trying to learn though, and for that i am counting on you and your patience mostly, and i am thankful.
It was the first time i used SRS and the configuration (open speaker) was not the best one, which created a lot of noise in comms. Planning to test a headset next time with any of you that can before any mission
so i suppose this will be solved.
Also i have no clue of the SAM Systems and how they look like and their ranges etc, so i was shot eventually. Also this can be quite fixed by studying a bit on them, pictures etc so i can recognize them and to know what are you talking about, when you refer to any of them, but also i suppose it needs practice and time. Till now i was trying to learn to fly the aircraft.
Anyway thanks for giving me the opportunity to fly with you and i hope next time to be better.
Sorry again guys.

Falcon
No worries. Give me a shout if you would like some help with the A10. I would enjoy passing on what I have learned.
Flight Lieutenant Mike Ozanne - RAF Air UK
Image Image
Image Image

Return to “Training Mission Briefings”