Training 17/19 Mar 2020

Flyco
Site Admin

Training 17/19 Mar 2020

Post by Flyco »

I am setting up an A-10C training mission, to be flown next week at date to be decided, depending on whether a full multi-ac mission is set up for one of those dates.

The sortie will be by two independent A-10C 4-ships, with synchronised attack times, but different routes and targets. The formations will take off with a 5 min split, and route medium-level 8-10,000 ft, to let down in the hills to the north of Vaziani. Initial formation will be Wedge, going to 1 nm Trail for the low level element, including the attack run. The targets will be aircraft at 2 Red airfields, and surprise is essential if the hunters (i.e. us) are not to become the hunted. The weapons for all ac will be six Mk-82 AIR, dropped at 300 ft agl. with a TOT of plus or minus 30 seconds. The final approach to the targets is across flat ground, requiring all ac to remain as low as possible (ideally 100-200 ft), until the last m 2 miles. The IAS for the LL will be 270 kias, rising to 300-320 for the attack itself.

In the event of any Red ac being left serviceable, it may be necessary to make a further run, using guns, if we are to avoid being hounded on the return flight. Flt leaders will asses the initial results and order the second run if necessary. There is no short range AD on either airfield (who says I am not kind to you?), but there are SAM-6s and SAM-3s in the area.

Formation leaders will talk through the setting for the Mk-82s, and the setting of TOTs, prior to take-off.

A more detailed brief will be available on Monday (I hope!)
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Training 17/19 Mar 2020

Post by 0405 Andrew »

That sounds great, please add me to an A10c please.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

Cheers Alan,
I suppose you took your navigation charts and flight computers out for this ;)
Looks like very nice one, i'm totally in, if there is free space and thank you for your time to prepare it :)
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

I'll initially apply, it depends when it will be run, on whether I'll make it or not.

Now I'll have to practice, delivering mk-82 AIRS, I never did like using those, never seem to get them to drop where I want them, they always seemed to drop short.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

Yes indeed Paul, me too!
Really old school mission without the techy stuff around...
ImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul, there are 6 Mk-82Air, and I have found that dropping them at around 330 kias, from 300 ft agl, as a Ripple 6, with 120 ft spacing, gives quite a nice spread - certainly enough to take out 6-8 ac on the pan, if your line-up is good. That will be our mission, with the option for a 2 g turn back to take out any that were missed the first time.

What I am not sure of is how long the gap before subsequent ac needs to be without them collecting debris. It looks OK from a spectator view, but I will need to get someone to fly as my No2 to check it before I go firm on the mission.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

I can try to Alan.
I am in now for about an hour or so, if you want to test it.
ImageImageImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Yes Alan. I think that was my mistake, i think I was trying to drop them at to low a speed.

I have created a little test mission in ME, to try bombing six static aircraft on the disused airfield, south of Kobuleti to practice on.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Please count me in Alan if it is on Tuesady.

Paul, like Alan has said you do need to have them all going off the rails as a ripple and make sure you increase the spacing substantially from the default of 75'. Obviously if the targets are aircraft on the pan, you dont want the spacing too great as you just know that sod's law will dictate they all drop between the targets.

When I used them for Armageddon I had a spacing of 300' and dropped at 320kts which was great for running down the main runway but would prob be to much spacing for tighter packed targets.

They really are easy to use once you can see the mechanics of how speed & alt will effect the outcome.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

Hello gentleman.
Great initiative, and thank you Allan for being so kind and place "only" SA 6 and SA3 :D
I will be on TS for the afternoon and night, if need call please.
I will do some low level fly and bombing.
And ofcourse, count me in please.
Cheers

Return to “Training Mission Briefings”