A-10C Training - 24 Mar 2020

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: A-10C Training - 24 Mar 2020

Post by Flyco »

I've taken a look at Tacview, and last night looked OK. We certainly got all the primary targets, and formation was quite promising.

Pig 2 & 3 need to fly a little wider in Wedge, but generally quite sound. Sweep back angle generally varied around 60 degrees sweep, rather than 30 to 60 degrees, but spacing was OK.

Bit of a hash up on the first deliveries. No matter how much you set it up in advance, there is always a mounting tension in the last couple of minutes. Try doing some practice laydown attacks, solo. Also when it develops into a series of repeat runs, do use the SADL to back up visual, and try and get reasonable spacing. Think of it as a circuit and don't start your turn on from downwind until the ac ahead has passed the 90 degree point - that will give you a 10-20 second spacing which is as short as you should look for. Ideally about 20-30 secs so that you can switch your aim point if the ac ahead clobbers the target you were going for.

I should have got you into echelon earlier, but both No 2 and No3 worked hard to sort that out, with the result that the final landing was good - No 2 a bit close and No 3 a bit too far back, but well within acceptable limits.

Don't know what happened on the route timing - I will look into what I did wrong.

Thanks, I enjoyed it.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

That was a good mission Alan from where Paul and I sat. The timings were okay in the most part for us but like I said last night, it is far easier if only I person does the time watching, ideally #2 so that flight lead can concentrate on routing. Everyone needs to be aware of timings but too many fingers in the pie calling times and speed up/slow down doesn't help.

We both thoroughly enjoyed it. You did a grand job there. Looking forward to more missions like this.

Your points about the run & break are bang on. OK we flew straight in last night as we wanted a pairs landing, but I will certainly keep note of the methodology you mention.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

Thank you again Alan, both for the mission and thoughts.
I think it was better than last time, but in my opinion I still have a lot to work arround both in formation and landing. I will train solo too.

As for the TOT If I may, I would like to tell you how I do, and it worked to me.

In ME I do not mark speed or ETA in any waypoint in the path (leave both blank). I only give the time I need in the target (or waypoint I need) .
It will give me a average speed I can confirm in ME in the (E) tab (send screenshot) and confirm if it is suitable.
One thing I also notice, is that the TOT I designate in ME, never matches the TOT on the aircraft CDU, so, I must enter it on the ground before take off.

In other words, at least for A-10C the only way that TOT works is onboard.

Hope it help.

Thank you.
Attachments
Screen_200325_202019.png
Screen_200325_202019.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2205 times

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Thanks, Luis, I will try your way. The complication is that I would, ideally, like different times for different stages of the route. And of course I need to check whether it takes account of wind, for the different legs.

I probably also should read through the new manual - a quick initial search didn't find 'DTOT'. Luckily I am the sort of 'Nerd' who reads manuals for enjoyment.
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

I really enjoyed this mission, the low level insertion was good.
Points noted regarding formation flying, move wider. The simple tip of the circle overlap on the10 mile scale was really helpful.

With regards to landing, how many seconds should the touch downs be apart?

Cheers Andrew
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Andrew, spacing depends on ac type. I would say that, for an A-10c, 10 secs would be a bit close, 60 secs too long. I would aim for around 20-30 seconds, but it is not critical. The aim is not to block the runway for other returning or departing ac.

I aim to be starting my finals turn, when the ac ahead is at about 90 degrees to the runway, and the one ahead of that is just abeam me, on finals. A finals turn will take about 30 seconds, followed by another 15-40 seconds to touch-down.
Image Image Image Image

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

Flyco wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 08:39 Thanks, Luis, I will try your way. The complication is that I would, ideally, like different times for different stages of the route. And of course I need to check whether it takes account of wind, for the different legs.

I probably also should read through the new manual - a quick initial search didn't find 'DTOT'. Luckily I am the sort of 'Nerd' who reads manuals for enjoyment.
Alan. Sorry the late coment. RL situation has been taking some time and concentration.

For different times I would sugest to do onboard also.
in CDU, select the wp page and type the DTOT for each of them (as briefing)
The wind and terrain variations shall be considered by given a doable TOT. for example, if you do a TOT to 8.30 and in ME you have a average speed of 200 knt is fine, but in real situation you have to cycle trough mountains, so the average speed should be 160knt (Ex) so, it is very diffucult to be done with precision, unless you have almost straight lines.
Also, I would suggest, that in the last 2 or 3 Wp before target area the route can be done in a way that can compensate a delay or if ahead time. As example, when we arrive to plain terrain, the route do some thight angle that permit the ac cut the corner if delay, or do a wider curve if late. But to do that, all the ETA and required speed must be unchecked in the last 2 or 3 WP .

As example I send you a miz file I done, tested it, also I recorded (sorry my English, and speaker performance) https://youtu.be/_LdGn82ErjE
WP 21 Beslan- TOT - 8.30
WP 19 Hostile LL - TOT 8.22
WP 2 Go LL - TOT 8.12
Attachments
TOT OCU test.miz
(10.5 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

Return to “Training Mission Briefings”