Sqn Training

filthymanc

Sqn Training

Post by filthymanc »

Hi all,
Is anyone up for a bit of squadron training these days.
My mission building skills are a bit pants, and I know Geoff has put together some quality training missions in the past.

I've come up with some things I'd be interested in learning as a squadron. Having participated in the weekly missions I always feel at a bit of a disadvantage due to my lack of skill.

1) Formation flying. This might sound a bit lame, but I often find that I have no idea what formation we should be in, and when I do, I find the coordination goes to pot, especially when trying to match speed, and bearing. I do tend to drift off out of formation as I concentrate on other things. It would also be nice to move in formation, and change formations in a coordinated manner, whether it be tight or loose, and learn the required comms between us to get there.

2) Countermeasures and evasive action. I couldn't tell you the difference between a SAM1, 2, or any other threat. I haven't a clue what a shilka looks like, or how to counter one. Yes a lot of this is on me, and my own revision, but, there is a lot of experience in the squadron, and I can't reconcile reading about threats and dealing with them.

3) Teamwork. Buddy lasing, spotting, coordinating ourselves on the hoof on the battlefield without weaving spaghetti in Tacview, and more. How can we work better in missions as pairs or larger.

4) CDU work. I haven't had an opportunity to work of JTACing for some time, and it takes a bit of practice to manually input waypoints whilst on the go (especially in VR where you can't jot things down.

5) Run & break. I may be the only person in the Sqn who can't land in run & break. See formation flying above^

These are just some of my thoughts from flying on the weekly missions. Usually I can get away with it, but it would be great if we were all slick with our SOPs.

Chris.
Pilot Officer Chris "Filthymanc" 0513 - RAF Air UK

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Sqn Training

Post by Flyco »

I started to reply to your post, but it was turning into an essay. I suggest we get together for a sortie sometime soon, and we will talk through the points you raised. They are all good points, incidentally, and common to 80%+ of DCS members.

The flying aspects we can go through in the air. The CDU is a problem - I don't fly on VR and built myself a CDU which I had alongside me - unfortunately the chip went down and is no longer available and I do miss it. The only suggestion I can make is to say that you can use the UFC, although this is not so easy.

I will look out a 2 page summary of the main air-to-ground threats. I keep a plastic covered one by my seat and use it as I approach the Fence-In Pt.

As for Formation flying - it is actually easier in real lie that a sim. A good starting point for close formation is AAR - there is a simple mission available and you can join-disconnect-rejoin-etc as much as you like. The picture is different, but the handling is pretty much the same (I attach a close formation shot). However, it is tactical formation which is most relevant to our task, and we can cover that in the air, with 3 or 4 basic diagrams to back it up.
Attachments
Formation%20from%20Cockpit.jpg
Formation%20from%20Cockpit.jpg (616.54 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

filthymanc

Post by filthymanc »

I have just lost my massive reply by clicking back on the browser!

Maybe later.

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Happens to me every day!
Image Image Image Image

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi
I am keen to get back to the A10, definitely up for some Sqn training.

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I will set up a training mission for next week. Departure, climb, formations, and identifying, evading and killing AD units.

I have attached a copy of my aide-memoir, giving details of some of the likely threats with their capabilities etc. The nasty ones are the Tor and the Tunguska. The latter, in particular will take out a Maverick fired at it, but we have recently discovered that if you launch 3 or more laser-guided M282s at it in quick succession it can be overwhelmed.
You just need to fire from 15,000 ft and 6-7 nm and turn away sharpish. Even SAM-3 and SAM-6, can be evaded if you know where they are, but it can be a bit exciting, and it can take some time.

I will announce the training session later. All welcome.
Attachments
Threats.jpeg
Threats.jpeg (666.65 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
Image Image Image Image

filthymanc

Post by filthymanc »

Excellent, thank you. Looking forward to it.
I may have to be awkward due to shift pattern but, I'm sure something can be sorted out.

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Filthymanc,
The issue is that 97Sqn do not have a formal training/OCU program like other Squadrons in DCS. Once you have completed your check ride, you are authorised to fly with 97Sqn, on a Tuesday night.

We tend to leave it to the individual to do his own research and training. I much prefer to have this more informal approach.

However, all the expertise is available in the Squadron, to cover most requests for training. When a pilot asks for help and advise, support usually arrives.

I'll build a mission for you to try out Run & Brake. It will cover joining an airfield centreline, approach and landing. To keep it simple, the mission will just be a for a 2-ship. I think it best to do training on a one to one basis, and then build to a bigger flight. Once the build is finished, I'll send you a message, and we can arrange a flight date and time to suit your diary.

Have a look at this youtube I put together for Luis. It shows the basis of a run and brake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyPyTDML398

Here's a tip I used in the RAF. "Banana". For a 3sec, 5sec time separation on take off, or brake, I don't look at my watch. I mentally say, "One banana, two banana, three banana". That's 3 seconds. Try it with your eye's closed and your watch.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

filthymanc

Post by filthymanc »

Thanks Geoff. Your YouTube makes it look so easy, I can't understand why I'm having issues with it.

And thank you for the training missions, I do appreciate them. Gives me chance to ask my silly questions.

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Filthymanc,
The run & brake training mission is ready to try out. Let me know when you want to give it a go.

Have a look at this video:-

https://youtu.be/td8AKAcjfCk

The youtube is really the mission brief. We have a 2 ship. It shows how I intercept the airfield runway centreline, and the run and brake landing. I would like you to start in the lead aircraft. Not to check your flight lead skills, just to concentrate on the approach and run and brake. Once you are comfortable with the brake, I'll get you to try it again, as No2.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Return to “Training Mission Briefings”