NOTAM: Notes & outcomes from recent RAF Air meetings

Aircraft: F-16C
Sharpe

NOTAM: Notes & outcomes from recent RAF Air meetings

Post by Sharpe »

All,
For those who are not aware, there has been a sequence of meetings between the senior members of RAF Air. This NOTAM provides the outcome of those meetings for your SA.

1) A 'select committee' has been formed
This select committee is made up of:
- President, Richard
- Chairman, Matt
+ Neil, Shaggy & Russ
The select committee was selected by Matt as Chairman, who was given a mandate by unanimously being voted into the chairman role by Sqn representatives. The select committee has been formed with the specific intent of 'steering' RAF Air (for want of a better word), making decisions and executing plans.

The select committee will meet with Sqn reps (normally, but not exclusively Sqn Cdrs) regularly to discuss the direction of RAF Air, its needs, concerns and aims and the select committee will then make a decision and decide/action any required execution.

2) RAF Air Wide SOPs
By order of the select committee it has been decided that some basic SOPs are needed for RAF Air as we are growing and have so many air frames.
A working group is now being put together with a rep from each Sqn. The group has been tasked with agreeing a set of core SOPs that all of RAF Air will commit to using for all flight operations.
All Sqns are being asked to put the name forward of someone who can join the working group to help thrash out future SOPs for RAF Air. I have put my name forward for (3)F.

3) Missions & Mission Building
It has been agreed that while Alan has done a sterling job providing RAF Air with missions, they have now become a little dry and with the surge in new A/C and Sqns new missions are needed. The select committee has decided the following:
- A working group will be set up to begin designing new missions (which may include templates for rapid mission design). Much of the exact 'how/who/when/where/what etc' will be ironed out over time by the Missions Working Group. But some items being looked at include:
- That RAF Air wide missions may need to move to once every two weeks or even monthly (to be finalised) in order to provide mission designers time to prepare missions.
- In between RAF Air wide missions, sqns can set up their own missions either intra or inter Sqn as they feel appropriate, it would likely be arranged 'in house' at Sqn level (also pending finalisation).
- Each Sqn may end up alternating the design and hosting/running of RAF Air wide missions (this is also pending finalisation). Naturally, 3(F) will not have its feet held to the fire on this while we are BMS focused (unless someone would like to stretch their arms on the DCS mission design side, it which case I am sure you would be most welcome).

- Each Sqn has been asked to nominate a representative for the missions working group. 3(F) is welcome to join this, or not as we feel is appropriate. As above, if someone wishes to keep their 'hand in' for DCS mission design and help influence how future missions will be designed and run please put your name forward as 3(F) sqn rep (it wont be me, I am a right duffer at mission editing it DCS!).

I think that is all for now. There are other items that are kicking around but no clear direction was made and the select committee will likely bring them forward for discussion in due course, the above are the main focus for now. If I have missed anything, I will add it to this post.

-S

Plexi

Re: NOTAM: Notes & outcomes from recent RAF Air meetings

Post by Plexi »

Thanks for the update Sharpe.
Squadron Leader
Peter "Plexi" Sumner
RAF Air UK - 1(F) Sqn

ImageImage

ImageImageImage
Quote: 'A superior Pilot may be defined as one who stays out of trouble by using his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the use of his superior skill'

Return to “3(F) Squadron”