NOTAM: 3(F) Sqn leadership change

Aircraft: F-16C
Sharpe

NOTAM: 3(F) Sqn leadership change

Post by Sharpe »

All,
I wanted to inform you that it is with regret that I announce my decision to leave 3(F) and RAF Air.

When I came over to RAF Air earlier this year (on a whim to test the DCS F16) I had no intention of anything other than joining in with like minded virtual pilots. I had no idea that 6 months later I would have written a set of SOPs, set up a training programme and even become a stand in sqn leader.

However, I have become increasingly despondent over recent weeks and months. Many of you know my gripes regarding DCS, and to a lesser extent the current state of the F16 (which will of course improve over time). The state of DCS has (IMHO) not changed; key issues have not been acknowledged/fixed and I dont belive they will be for some time (if ever). I have always been a function before form person and (for me) DCS lacks key areas of functionality that I have found that I enjoy more than fancy graphics and a suite of nice modules to fly.

Looking at the situation 3(F) is currently in, I feel like there is limited scope for flying in the near to mid term as things currently stand. We have a chronic lack of IPs, a lack of pilots available to fly and no ability to bring new pilots in to increase the flying tempo.

I have been disappointed to see the lack of progress of F16 drivers through Viper School and the lack of flying time in recent months. There are many factors behind this lack of progress and its not anyones fault other than, in the final analysis, mine.

We do not have sufficiently capable IPs to bring pilots (new or current) along quickly (be that in DCS or BMS). This has left the task of training to me, and I alone am not capable of bringing 5/6 (originally 8/9) pilots quickly through the content of Viper School while still offering missions etc.

I have kept away from recruiting from within the BMS community as the general flying standard is higher than the average in RAF Air. This would mean many pilots from the BMS community would come into 3(F) at a point well in advance of Viper School. This would mean that for any BMS community F16 drivers they would have to want to join as an IP, fly a limited number of missions (with less people than they would be used to) for at least 6 months - a hard sell from a recruiting perspective. Even if we found pilots willing/needing to go through Viper School, we still don't have enough IPs.

Even if we could/did increase the number of pilots to fly BMS with us to increase tempo within 3(F), the 'spectre' of 3(F) moving back to DCS once the DCS F16 is ready would make recruiting from the BMS community disingenuous at best. Conversely we can't recruit pilots from the DCS community for similar and obvious reasons.

I think the cardinal error made was bringing too many pilots into 3(F) to quickly with no real 'game plan' and a 'grip it and rip it' approach to virtual flying. This was not a decision that was made, but rather a situation 3(F) 'walked into with eyes wide shut' before even Maggsy took command. This was followed by the (albeit well intentioned) decision to offer training to all those pilots with to few IPs - and this was my error.

For the reasons outlined above, this is a situation that will not resolve itself quickly, whether in DCS or BMS. The impact is a lack of enjoyment for all concerned. I am personally disappointed at the lack of flying opportunities at the moment, but ultimately the knowledge that I am putting in all this effort merely to rejoin a simulator that I don't enjoy for combat flying is galling.

On that basis I plan to leave RAF Air. I very much hope to remain part of the RAF Air community as I have made some good friends over the last 6 months and would like to keep in touch. All the content I have created will remain available to 3(F) (and RAF Air) and as I develop new content I will make it available to 3(F) for their use if the new Sqn Cdr wants it (or wants to edit it for their purposes).

I have already spoken with Danny and he has agreed to step in as a temporary (possibly permanent) Sqn Cdr in my absence so that there will be someone to drive 3(F) forward. I dare say a move back to DCS will be on the cards so those of you with the kit can start dusting off your VR sets again ;-)

I wish you all well and fun in the virtual skies. Please don't be strangers (you all have my whats app number as well as PM via the RAF Air forum). I hope to be able to come back occasionally and strap on a DCS F16 or an F14 and (in the future) a Typhoon to take in the views and fly with you.

Best regards,
-S

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: NOTAM: 3(F) Sqn leadership change

Post by Neil Willis »

Hi Sharpe,

Sorry to hear you're leaving. I can fully understand the frustrations you feel given the state of play regarding the F-16 and 3 Squadron. Hopefully some time in the future things will progress sufficiently that the F-16 becomes viable, and the whole DCS issue will improve.

I'd like to thank you for all your hard work, and support, and also say that you will be sadly missed by us all, and always welcome to return should your feelings change.

Thanks again friend,

Neil
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Sharpe,

I think it’s safe to say that you’ve had nothing but a positive impact on those of us in 3Sqn that have engaged with you in Viper School.

I’ve learned more in the last few months than many years of gripping it and ripping it...

Having been exposed to a different way of flying, the flaws of DCS are much more apparent. Which leads me to the same conclusion that DCS isn’t able to provide that level of experience at the moment. Not least with an F16 that’s not finished.

So I can certainly understand your frustrations and desires to fly in a different way that can be offered by DCS.

For the record, I intend to continue flying BMS with Sharpe.

When DCS catches up I might well start to dabble back in the DCS universe with RAF Air (most likely with the Typhoon when it arrives).

Until then, I wish you all well and I may well bounce around from time to time with the odd flight.

Muff

Post by Muff »

Evening 3f

Im sad to say that im stepping down from Rafair 3F and will continue flying in another setting away from RafAir, i hope that i am welcome to stay within the community and able to join at a later date if dcs can provide a good platform.

Until that date i wish you all the best and happy flying.

// Muff

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Hi Muff,

Sorry to hear you’re leaving, but you’ll always be very welcome.

Hopefully the F-16 will come up to scratch soon!

Best wishes mate.

Neil
ImageImageImage

maggsy

Post by maggsy »

Having just got back home after Half Term ( I did not take my PC so have been tech free for 2 lovely weeks) , I am saddened to catch up on this news today.

I will start by thanking Chris & Tobias for all they have done for 3F and RAF AirUK.
The Viper School was and still is the most comprehensive training syllabus what a shame the DCS F16 was unable to meet its demands and that the eagerness of the pilots atempting it seemed to eventually be drained from them, even the switch to BMS was unable to maintain the momentum, so it eventually seemed to grind to a halt.
This was not the fault of Viper School, or Chris and the IP team but with DCS failing to keep the development of the F16 at a steady pace, the move to BMS took away the one thing many of us came to RAF Air for... to fly with friends and enjoy the failures as much as the successes.

I wish things had been different but it is what it is , I can only say I have the greatest respect for both of these guys and consider them my friends and implore them not to become strangers. Both Chris and Tobias have help me more than they could ever know and I doubt if could repay them for their support and training (I still cannot stick the thing in the thing :oops: )

I wish Dan all the best in his new role and will no doubt jump into an F16 at some point ( work permitting, still doing 10-14 hrs days and not getting home until after 20:30 each evening)
Flight Lieutenant Steve "maggsy" Maggs - RAFAir UK
ImageImage

Danny
Site Admin

Post by Danny »

I would like to thank Muff, Sharpe, Maggsy and Merlin, it was good fun while it lasted.

Obviously you are welcome to fly with us anytime.

I think a permanent move back is a long way off, there are diamonds being formed faster than progress in DCS :D

Sharpe is the driving force for Viper School, he has put many hours into writing our processes and procedures. He has kindly allowed 3(F) Sqn (DCS wing) to continue to use these documents, and we intend to carry on with Viper School. This will make integration of BMS pilots, if DCS ever finish something, much easier.

Thank-you Sharpe, its always a pleasure flying with you, and thank-you for your efforts.

Maggsy, thanks for the support and don't work too hard 8-)
Wing Commander Andrew 'Danny' Daniel - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

abraxsus

Post by abraxsus »

Hi Chaps

I'm really sorry to see you all departing the RAFAIR Group. I was hoping one day to learn the F16 with you guys at some point in the future. That said we all have our challenges in life. I wish you all the best for the future and do stay in touch.

Best Regards

Yogi " Wildcard" Parashara
Squadron Leader Yogi "Wildcard" Parashara

Cynodont

Post by Cynodont »

Hi all,

I joined RAF AIR because I really wanted to learn to fly the F16 from others. I've flown on my own for many years and was really apprehensive about putting myself, and my lack of skills, on display. I needn't have worried you all welcomed me and encouraged me to fly, getting me past the first hurdle.

Then came Viper School and finally I was going to learn to fly, except I wasn't because the F16 still needs work as we all know. Then came BMS and finally got to fly the way I've always wanted.

I've flown with many of you here and I really enjoyed it but somewhere along the line something in my flying clicked with Sharpe and BMS.

I taken the decision to do a "Bill and Ted" and go away for a bit to focus and to "learn to play properly" so I can come back, if you'll let me, and be able to contribute in ways I can only hope for at the moment, once the DCS Viper or even the Tyhpoon is ready to fly.

Thank you all for making me feel welcome and for helping me take my first steps in on-line flight simming.

Hope to see you around,

Cyno

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

I can understand the wish to step back given the state of the F-16, and the continuing lack of progress. Unfortunately it seems ED are concentrating on the F-18C at the moment, and the F-16 languishes still.

As I have said to the other F-16 guys who are stepping away, we will extend a warm welcome to all of you should you choose to return in the future. The 3 Squadron organisation was a great example of in-depth training, and we will miss the positive impact you all had here.

I wish you well, and hope you can find fulfilment when the F-16 finally lives up to it's potential. Hopefully with the dynamic campaign system as well, to compete equally with BMS.
ImageImageImage

Return to “3(F) Squadron”