Getting upto speed

Father Cool

Getting upto speed

Post by Father Cool »

Ok so last night I spent 4 hours getting to grips with the Lantirn mod. I am now at a stage where I am confident that I can put together the relevant documentation to get you guys upto speed.

I put together a small single player mission with a few targets, I tried our Persian Gulf server and I tried on someone elses Caucasus server. In all three scenerios I was able to drop bombs and hit targets. I dropped between 10 and 15 bombs over the 4 hours and hit with every one.

My findings though, and I don't know if this is just my machine, but when playing on the Persian Gulf map there was significant stutter lag when the Lantirn display was set to the VDI. This wasn't fun and made bombing very difficult. The problem went away as soon as I switched the VDI display back to TCS. This issue isn't Lantirn mod related as the mod doesn't effect the display, this is doable and required even with a human RIO doing Lantirn stuff. I have heard the lantirn in general has issues if fog or dust is enabled so maybe thats an issue on PG. Just something that I noticed, your milage may very.

As a side effect of trying to plan my bombing sorties I have learned to manually program navigation and waypoints via Jester set surface target points and so on. Also how to access mission waypoints in excess of the maximum 3 that I believed the F14 had. This isn't the case. We can navigate to many more than that.

I will of course add all this into my training program moving forward.

In the meantime can anyone wanting to be a Bombcat please install the Lantirn Pilot Mod and set up their controls?

I was planning a set up guide however with everyone having different combinations of equipment it won't be that simple. That said if you are using a warthog please don't forget that there is a special Warthog file for the joystick which must be installed instead of the standard version in the mod pack.

You will need to bind all of the Lantirn controls somewhere though for this to work. Some controls are used more than others though so those need to be on your HOTAS somewhere I would suggest.

As a small guide you will need to set up at least 2 hat switches or a hat and a thumbstick for the S3 and S4 controls. The thumbstick, if using one, needs to be the S3 to allow it to be used for slewing. The S4 needs to be a distinct 4 way hat.

On my set up I have used a latching slider switch as a modifier to flick between standard flight and Lantirn mode. If you plan to have a latching switch or toggle as your modifier then I suggest you do the same however any switches that you need to operate on both modes (aircraft trim I'm looking at you, F2, radio PTT etc as well) as the same command will need both the standard press and the modified press adding to the binding so it works in both modes.

You can of course have a button that you hold down for Lantirn mode if you so wish in order to negate the issue. Again its upto you.

If any one you need any help setting up just shout.

Regards
FC

Link to Mod https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/ ... s/3303929/
Last edited by Father Cool on 11 Mar 2020, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.
Cavan Millward callsign: 'FC' - RAF Air UK
CAW & CO IX(B) Squadron
ImageImage

Mutley

Re: Getting upto speed

Post by Mutley »

very well done on the task i gave you sir , will send the required docs to command for a promotion lol

Very very impressed :D

Return to “Air To Ground Combat Training”