Sidearms - the Harriers primary SEAD capability

Mr_Sukebe

Sidearms - the Harriers primary SEAD capability

Post by Mr_Sukebe »

A quick update on my view on Sidearms, ie. The Harriers primary SEAD weapon.
The Sidearm is (as I understand it), an Aim7 Sparrow, that has been modified such that instead of trying to hit aircraft, it can be fired at ground radar stations.

I’ve had the Harrier since release, and my initial impressions of the Sidearm were that it was frankly worthless. Poor range and even worse ability to lock on meaning that it would have been easier and safer to use guns on the SAM site you were playing with.

Recent experiences are proving me pleasantly wrong. Sure, the range still isn’t great, but it’s ability to lock a radar station has definitely improved, as has it’s accuracy.

In use, my view is:
- Take a wingman. One of you runs in at lowish level on the SAM, whilst your buddy circles at a safer range and higher altitude, somewhere around 10 miles is good
- For the run in, stay at 1,000-2,000’. Too low, and you’ll have difficulty locking the sidearm onto the target because it can be obscured by buildings, meaning that you’re virtually on top of it by the time you can lock it (and therefore probably dead)
- Once locked, fire and run away. Don’t try for a second shot
- The role of your wingman is now to spot for ground launches at the lead aircraft.
- The lead should utilise cover, i.e. local hills and scenery to hide behind, along with a copious level of chaff
- Once the lead is safe and back out to 10 miles, switch roles and keep doing this until you have no RWR returns
At this point, you’ve killed the ground radar, but possibly not the launchers. Hopefully you’ve also taken a couple of Mavs and a TGP. The launchers are likely to be near the smoking wreckage of the radar stations, so mop them up too.

Return to “Chat”