892 Naval Air Squadron (892 NAS)

Aircraft: F/A-18C
Wee Neal 0414

Re: 892 Naval Air Squadron (892 NAS)

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi Guys

I am going to have to bail tonight as I have an urgent task at work. We are setting up our facilities as a St Johns Ambulance training centre. I think thats a reasonable excuse, but sorry all the same as I was looking forward to flying tonight!

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Just be careful they don’t put your leg in a sling!
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Crowebar-892nas

Post by Crowebar-892nas »

Hi everyone, having become active today what is the next step, should I just turn up on TS at 19:30 tomorrow?

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Hi Crowebar,

Yes please. We will have a training session as usual tonight.

If there are any particular items you want to cover, let me know, and we can run through it.

Neil
ImageImageImage

Crowebar-892nas

Post by Crowebar-892nas »

Hi Neil. I am happy with departure and approach patterns for land Air bases, launch and cat 1 recovery on the carrier, although a little bit more work required for entry and exit of holding stack. I can plug the tanker but working on staying connected. (can fill, but 10 litres at a time!) I am ok with CCIP dumb bombs and have learnt use of LGB and TGP, although haven't revisited for a couple of months. Reading the manuals on A2A radars and sensors, happy with the SA page.

I guess at this stage I probably need an introduction to RAFAIR comms and procedures and just to get settled in.

I have installed Teamspeak ready to go, already familiar with SRS and use Voice Attack for AI comms.

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

You’ve highlighted a couple of items that are on a whole different level of difficulty there. AAR is a highly perishable skill as well as one that is hard to get right to begin with. I find having a very well trimmed aircraft is a good foundation, but staying on is never easy once the probe connects. The issue I find is over controlling. It also helps to ignore the drogue and probe once you’re connected, and try to fly a precise formation with the tanker.

Comms - yep, we all need to brush up on that.

Case 3 is high on the list of necessary skills too, and getting timings right in the holding pattern so the commence time can be exact. Some basic navigation skills are needed, so time and distance calculations are core to hitting the numbers.

Plenty to keep us busy for a few training nights.
ImageImageImage

Huw

Post by Huw »

Hullo!

New pilot checking in, although I'm so rusty I wouldn't blame you if you send me to the training squadron. As I mentioned in my introductory post in the other section I've flown the Hornet before but it was back in the days of Jane's and I'm incredibly rusty. I'm working hard on re-learning everything (and the rest - it seems DCS is much higher fidelity than Jane's was), and it's my hope to move as swiftly as possible from the liability I surely am now, to an asset in the not too distant future.

As a short recap I'm happy with takeoff, landing, basic manoeuvres, most navigation (as far as I know), some air to air. No AAR since the days of Falcon 3.0 (although I could do it). No air to ground yet and barely any carrier ops sadly. Oh, and also no comms - I have never played flight sims multiplayer.

I'm reading a combination of the official manual and a guide I got from mudspike.com and trying hard to learn as quickly as I can.

So uh...where do you want me? :)

Chris

Post by Chris »

So uh...where do you want me? :)
Here will be just fine, Huw.... Welcome - we will help you along this great journey and it will fun.... Neil Willis is our IP and we all have a facilitative laid back approach but play hard. Of course you have to put effort in but you get much much more back in return.... using the correct video tutorials can help a lot, the style and delivery can be crucial to enjoyable effective learning - some speak 10,000 words a minute LOL... but we will keep you right.

Hopefully see you tomorrow evening around 8 and we will get you squared away rightly!
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Huw

Post by Huw »

Chris wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 00:16 Hopefully see you tomorrow evening around 8 and we will get you squared away rightly!
Many thanks Chris! Tomorrow at 20:00 sounds doable. In the meantime I'll keep my nose in those books. Oh one question - do you all use the open beta version?

Chris

Post by Chris »

Great!

Yes Sir, all servers run OpenBeta and the latest SRS. At various times all terrain maps are used but generally speaking there is always Caucasus, Gulf & Syria available 24/7. Nevada ranges, Normandy and Channel for WW2 Stuff all at various times BUT. We only use maps that all participants have for training so you will not be disadvantaged in any way by not having 'X' map :)
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Return to “892 Naval Air Squadron”