Training Night - 17 Feb 2021

Aircraft: F/A-18C
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Training Night - 17 Feb 2021

Post by Neil Willis »

After remarks from last night's sortie, I have a feeling we need to pursue 2 branches in our flying.

We want to participate very actively in all operations, so we need to continue to build on our tactics and weapons deployment as well, of course, as becoming more effective around the boat in departure and recovery operations in all conditions.

To that end, we both need to get down t5o some very basic skill development, and also continue to work on the big picture.

I'd therefore like to structure training sessions around both, by doing procedural start-up tuition, work on boat procedures, and also practice the items highlighted in the training videos and material on formation flying.

If we have sufficient time, I'd also like us to start to include a weapons deployment, and tactics element to all training. I would also like to see everyone rotating positions in a flight, so we all get a go at taking lead as well as all the other slots. This will give everyone a much clearer picture of the demands and shortcomings of all aspects of flying and fighting as a pair, a flight, and eventually, a Squadron. We need to nail down radio calls, as well as zip lip operations.

There is a lot to cover, and we definitely need to break it down into bite sized chunks. So tonight, we shall concentrate on getting airborne as a co-ordinated group, and sticking together throughout our sortie. The join up is therefore a good place to begin, and is the reason I have posted the videos.

See you on deck tonight.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Jack Crammer

Re: Training Night - 17 Feb 2021

Post by Jack Crammer »

Should be able to join in the training exercises next Wed 24th as my schedule has opened for a while.

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: Training Night - 17 Feb 2021

Post by Neil Willis »

Excellent news Jack (I hope?) We have some fun on the training sorties. Up until now it has been around the boat and AAR evolutions. Both areas which need the most practice and expertise.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “892 Naval Air Squadron”