Gentlemen (gentlewomen) of a certain age.... Mi-8, Ka-50, Hind-24

Chris

Gentlemen (gentlewomen) of a certain age.... Mi-8, Ka-50, Hind-24

Post by Chris »

Gentlemen (& Gentlewomen) of a certain age....

The Mil Mi-8 (Russian: Ми-8, NATO reporting name: Hip) is a medium twin-turbine helicopter, originally designed by the Soviet Union, and now produced by Russia. In addition to its most common role as a transport helicopter, the Mi-8 is also used as an airborne command post, armed gunship, and reconnaissance platform. Along with the related, more powerful Mil Mi-17, the Mi-8 is among the world's most-produced helicopters, used by over 50 countries. As of 2015, when combined the two helicopters are the third most common operational military aircraft in the world.

The Mil Mi-24 is a large helicopter gunship, attack helicopter and low-capacity troop transport. The core of the aircraft was derived from the Mil Mi-8 with two top-mounted turboshaft engines driving a mid-mounted 17.3 m five-blade main rotor and a three-blade tail rotor. The engine configuration gave the aircraft its distinctive double air intake. Original versions have an angular greenhouse-style cockpit; Model D and later have a characteristic tandem cockpit with a "double bubble" canopy. Other airframe components came from the Mi-14 "Haze". Two mid-mounted stub wings provide weapon hardpoints, each offering three stations, in addition to providing lift. The loadout mix is mission dependent; Mi-24s can be tasked with close air support, anti-tank operations, or aerial combat.

The Mi-24 fuselage is armored and can resist impacts from 12.7 mm (0.50 in) rounds from all angles. The titanium rotor blades are resistant to 12.7 mm rounds. The cockpit is protected by ballistic-resistant windscreens and a titanium-armored tub. The cockpit and crew compartment are over pressurized to protect the crew in NBC conditions. DCS is modelling the P version which was primarily a gunship variant with limited troop carrying potential.

The Ka-50 Black Shark is a unique and deadly single-seat, Russian attack helicopter developed after the Mi-24 that has seen combat in the Northern Caucasus. It combines a high performance dual rotor system with a deadly weapons payload of guided missiles, rockets, bombs, and a 30mm cannon. The Ka-50 is also unique in that it has an ejection seat.

All three use flight modeling typically calculating the individual aerodynamics for individual sections of each blade, which are then integrated into the blade, and then integrated into the rotor hub. This calculation is made 166 times per second. The same goes for the fuselage, wings and so on. The resultant of this gives what’s happening. In terms of difference, the blades, rotor length, fuselage shape and wings are not the same on each helicopters - The principle for simulating them is the same, but results are different.

The Ka50 and Mi8 often use common cockpit components and I am sure the Hind 24 does too. The Ka50 and Mi8 are as different as chalk and cheese to fly, but both require skill and experience to get best results. The Hind-24 will be the same, completely unique in many aspects.

Obviously each has strengths and weakness but together, they are well matched and make a great team.

Do not expect glass screens, MFDs, fancy computers, automated everything and data linked to every other aircraft in the sky. These are older cold war era that need to be flown!

Many in bouts of sales fever buy the Mi8 and the Kaq50 - fly them (read crash) - a few times and leave them in the hangar. With the addition of the Hind coming in a month or two some may considering learning this matched trio of aircraft. They are mot difficult nor complex to learn with the right approach and advice but do require skill and more than the occasssional glance at instruments :).

I have a full hangar but mainly fly the F18C and the AV8NA, the Spitfire and hopefully the Mossie, and this Russian duo (hopefully trio). All three of these aircraft groups are so diverse but within each group they not too dissimilar to fly, the F18 and Harrier are modern with all the bells and whistles - the warbirds are great seat of the pants stuff especially with the cannons and a buttkicker BUT for me the Russian aircraft are often the most demanding to fly, not difficult but demanding precision and experience.

Attached to 1 FTS will be a flight from Rotary Wing Test and Evaluation Squadron (RWTES) equipped with Mi-8, Ka50 and when available the Hind-24. Suggested training programmes for the Hip and the Kamov are available and will be developed for the Hind-24.

There is no formal training night unless wanted, of course you can belong to any other squadron RAFAir or not, where ever possible we will dovetail into 60 Squadrons missions and any other mission environments in or out of RAFAir.

The aim is to form a cadre of like minded folk who love these airframes, share information, skills, tips etc and to fly together at whatever times suit in whatever of the 3 aircraft, as roles, speeds and ethos match. Whether this is achievable I've no idea but I will try nonetheless.

If you want fast action, computerised everything, thousands of weapon systems, radar, Link 16 - you know modern battlefield stuff this is not for you - go for the Kiowa and later the Apache Longbow as they will be superior in the battlefield in many areas.

But if you are of a certain age where old skool soviet design and tech, old school systems, chunky switches (100's of them), real start up procedures, realism and the best rotary flight models around that requires skillful pilotage then this may float your boat. If at all interested or want to chat just shout TS, Email or here....

Mi-17 in Rotary Wing Test and Evaluation Squadron (RWTES) livery,,

Interesting transcript of a podcast re the Hind 24 by ED

https://stormbirds.blog/2021/01/09/new- ... interview/
Kind Regards
Chris :)

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Gentlemen (gentlewomen) of a certain age.... Mi-8, Ka-50, Hind-24

Post by 0405 Andrew »

If you could add a day to my week I'd be in.
I'm looking forward to seeing the Hind.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Duke

Post by Duke »

I would be interested to join this however not sure which day we could use as already pretty stacked with Spitfire, Huey, Mission night, Thursday training..... I fly the KA50 alot now on public servers (that is fly, not crash) and have a fair amount of experience with it now so would like to use that

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

You know i wantin but time is a killer
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I'm tempted by the Hind. But I have already done my share of trash-hauling, and I didn't see any mention of coffee making facilities in the above write-up. But, being Russian, I suspect the ant-icing system will supply a 'warming drink' when necessary.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

WilloUK

Post by WilloUK »

Certainly interested in the Hind , and do love helicopters, just a bad pilot with them lol
Image ImageImageImageImage
Flight Lieutenant Phil "WilloUK" Wilson RAF Air UK

Chris

Post by Chris »

Don't get me wrong, this is not a proposal for a Squadron with regular slots etc, but a proposal of a cadre of like minded souls who enjoy flying these aircraft. A cadre is a group of folk, normally in a military unit responsible for training the rest of the unit. The cadre may be the permanent skeleton establishment of a unit, around which the full unit can be built if needed.

To me, just flying the Mi-8 Ia large heavy helo) correctly with good pilotage a large, heavy Helo, is a rewarding experience in itself.... it is not a fly by the seat of your pants like the Huey. I suspect the Hind to be very much the same plus the addition of Ai in the cockpit similar to the F14 but different methodology. Fighting the Kamov is similar.

Everyone has time issues to some degree, but this place could be the goto place for help. flying mates, sorties on the servers, whatever, for those who have an inclination. Certainly, anyone who genuinely wants to learn the Mi8 I can help, likewise the Ka50 and in that regard I'm sure Fodder will help too but everything needs to be client driven not squadron driven.
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Duke

Post by Duke »

Sounds good to me, like you said, a gentleman's club instead of an actual squadron! I have got my head around most of the KA50's computer systems and in a 4 ship all datalinked together it is every bit as capable as any Apache or etc etc in my head, just without the all weather/nightime capability

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

I am definitely in for this, I have Ka50 and Mi8 and fly both in SP. More so the KA50. Would really like to do a few challenging missions in the ‘shark’. I started the Mi8 trg but struggled with time so stopped for a spell so I didn’t waste peoples time (Chris’s mostly!).

In summary would absolutely like to do this when possible.

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Lots of info in this article. Maybe I should knuckle down and learn the Hip. We could make some good missions if we all knew how to fly them.

Daily mixed helicopter groupings were allocated to ground forces
operations - two to three transport Mi-8s, two to four Mi-24s. As a rule helicopters
operated as part of a tactical grouping composed of two to four Mi-24s and one to
two Mi-8s carrying spetsnaz troops. Having landed the troops, fire support from Mi-
24s would then be under the control of a forward air controller. Pairs of Mi-24s
would carry out roving missions looking for opportunity targets which accounted
for a third of combat helicopter missions: targets included vehicle convoys, single
vehicles, fuel and ammunition dumps, underground fuel refineries and collections
of people. Attack helicopters covered desants by ‘Vosmerki’ transport helicopters
including the transportation and landing of spetsnaz troops in the mountains. Mi-
24s took part in blocking operations and destroying areas on the road sector
between Itum-Kale and Shatili used by guerillas. ASV helicopter losses in combat
operations up to the autumn of 2000 amounted to seven Mi-24P and four Mi-24V.53
Pilots often carried out two to three missions per day with an “average flight time of
two hours and fifty minutes”.54 From the end of February 2000 the tactical
employment of helicopters was changed, due the fact that the main guerilla
formations had been broken up into smaller groups and scattered, and the number
of Mi-24 roving missions for opportunity targets was then increased. A measure of
the work-intensity rate of Mi-24 crews is illustrated by the following statements:
“24 April 2000 helicopter pilots completed more than 50 combat missions. 11 June
2000 around 60 combat missions were carried out.”55 Another task undertaken by
ASV Mi-24V helicopters was the protection of convoys.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/weaponsa ... pters/amp/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... C_tyHZorAb
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “No.1 Flying Training School (Rotary Wing)”