21-09-20 Monday Flight Night

Aircraft: UH1H 'Huey'
john (scooby)

Re: 21-09-20 Monday Flight Night

Post by john (scooby) »

Neil Willis wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 08:01 Agree we need to be a lot more organised on start up. SRS should be used exclusively for missions I think too. One factor might help with leaving the revetments - put the aircraft in the order they will fly - in other words, No 1 closest to the runway. As it stands right now, I have to taxi over all the others. Perhaps a bigger gap between the 2 rows would give us a suitable taxiway?

I thought there were still a lot of avoidable errors when it came to approaching the LZ too. Watching descent rates is essential to avoid VRS.
Personally I find the vsi is the best method in dcs for indicating a vrs. Itl suddenly increase rapidly along with a shuddering airframe. This imo gives you the earliest indication that its happening
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Neil Willis wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 08:01 SRS should be used exclusively for missions I think too.

I thought there were still a lot of avoidable errors when it came to approaching the LZ too. Watching descent rates is essential to avoid VRS.
Agree with both of these.

From now on SRS will be our main communication. I believe now everyone is set up on their HOTAS, except Coots. I shall make sure he's sorted.

I shall get a SOP together for next week detailing forming up for take off. We will practice that with a few circuits before anything else.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

0405 Andrew wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 09:24
Neil Willis wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 08:01 SRS should be used exclusively for missions I think too.

Agree with both of these.

From now on SRS will be our main communication. I believe now everyone is set up on their HOTAS, except Coots. I shall make sure he's sorted.

I shall get a SOP together for next week detailing forming up for take off. We will practice that with a few circuits before anything else.
Deffinately agree with taxying out in order, be aware thwt buc will need to rearm on the pads though
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Chris

Post by Chris »

Neil Willis wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 08:01 Agree we need to be a lot more organised on start up. SRS should be used exclusively for missions I think too. One factor might help with leaving the revetments - put the aircraft in the order they will fly - in other words, No 1 closest to the runway. As it stands right now, I have to taxi over all the others. Perhaps a bigger gap between the 2 rows would give us a suitable taxiway?

Things to think about....

There are generally 2 Flights, Bikini RED / BLUE & BUCCANEERS. Their goal may be the same but objectives and methods may be different. They are coordinated by a command level - on big missions an AMC (Air Mission Commander) or in Vietnam Era by the next level of command either in a command ship or in the ops tent / post.

Radios - 3 channels, use them as in the brief - Channel use and freqs are in the Kneeboard section of Discord - use them, together with the brevity words and signal instructions for take off and lost comms - download then and have them onboard YOUR aircraft.

Revetments. The aim is to NOT FLY OVER THE REVETMENT WALLS or OTHER AIRCRAFT unless you are a FNG and cant hover control effectively. You reverse out at a 3' hover until you can see the side of the wall and then a 90 turn and hover taxi to the runway or rearm area, all at 3', all with the correct lights showing. You need to know where you have spawned. Use F2 view to check, it will never be disabled, it is the eyes of your crew chief :) Jump on the 420 and practice anytime. The idiot who designed the revetments made them that way to mimic real life and continuously improve skills.... I think...

Flight Spawn. Start aircraft (no need to check with Tower) set lights, setup all radios, comms check with LEAD and wait. LEAD will tell you the order and path for reversing out of the revetments. Normally it is by chalk order or if a bunch of inexperienced guys the Flight LEAD may reverse this leaving himself to last - that way he can F2 and guide proceedings.

BUC and BIKINI act independently but broadcast / coordinate movements on base freq.

VRS, think back to basics.... depending on weight, altitude and temp, VRS normally becomes an issue approaching ETL.... remember instrument scan frequency... increase this on approach, increase this A LOT below 30 knots keeping sinkrate below 200' PM, constantly scan landing point, VSI, ASI, LEAD, landing point, VSI etc etc etc or similar....

Flight Leads need a training slot for some more input & practice...
Kind Regards
Chris :)

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

I'm always in for more practise
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Return to “60 Squadron”