7 December mission

Aircraft: UH1H 'Huey'
Spanky

Re: 7 December mission

Post by Spanky »

0405 Andrew wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 06:36 Spanky, if you do wish to join us don't forget to download the mods.
viewtopic.php?f=328&t=4134
Sir,
I suck at doing this but did download and install. Im gonna start DCS and see if it works. Idk how to test if the rest worked besides a quick livery check.
TS seems down, Ive used SRS before but not in 6 months and sometimes have teething problems. In the past a squad mate always was able to fix with me in 5 or 10 min
Im concerned though this will negatively impact our mission
IF TS isnt up, can I get the SRS pw and IP also, the server pw, Ill just search for RAF servers.
Finally, if I cannot get SRS to work and TS is down, I will join, and keep trying to use SRS. If all else fails, itll be clear its me who has no comms, In that case, Ill follow the briefing if you guys dont mind and just try to play the slack/support role, inserting troops where needed... etc
of course if someone really needs me at another farp or to do something and the SRS is down , they can send a quick chat msg. (THIS IS ONLY TODAY LAST DITCH)
I also, if someone uses chat and says 'we dont want u to play if u cant use the SRS yet.. ' Ill understand and leave. Dont get wrong, SRS WILL work, but I may have to tweak it, and ... Ill explain more as I get to know you guys. im out of touch on some things technologically.
spanky
PS I really really wanted to fly with you guys, I really hope I can at least just take up tail end charlie and just try to fly and not get in the way?
also if we're pretending its Nam Ill take M60s for door gunners.

Spanky

Post by Spanky »

0405 Andrew wrote: 07 Dec 2020, 06:36 Spanky, if you do wish to join us don't forget to download the mods.
viewtopic.php?f=328&t=4134
Andrew,
Please pm me ASAP. i dont think the mods installed. Ive forever had problems with mods. I followed hte insructions. I dont know how to test them , but in mission editor I had NO RAF SKINS for the Uh1 or F14. so I assume somethings gravely wrong. Forgiv me being an idiot, I dont know why I did. I mean, if you wanna do it quick Ill give you remote access to my comp. As Im totally out of ideas. Idk about the liveries, but I know the range targets etc may be an issue and am quite alarmed!

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I regret that I must drop off tonight's mission. My system is back to about 90%, but there are still couple of minor glitches to resolve.

Next week - all being well.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi Alan, no worries, catch you next time.

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Spanky

Post by Spanky »

Hello men,
First, I had a great time. I do have to admit I had a busy day and my recent leg injury (torn ligaments and tendons) from a 6 week old motorcycle accident. my leg started to ache.
But first, I believe it was 6 (?) squadron, the UH1 squadron that allowed me to tag onto their op. I had a blast, though I wasted their helos, didnt deliver a single soldier, and only landed 1/3 hueys which was an autorotated forced landing. And I barely can autorotate, I think I didnt have room to destroy the helo :lol:
I quit because I was having fun, but I was just being a drag on an efficient group. If everyone discusses and is ok with it, Ill have way less questions and spend the week relearning what I need to about precision landings with the huey. I was much rustier than I thought from so much F14 and dabbling in the Jf17.
That said at least I can be assured that I wont disappoint the F14 squad tomorrow night.
Gentlemen today you were utterly patient, gracious good hearted guys. you really made my day, and are a credit to your culture and respectable men worldwide. Pure class, even on dumbassed questions, and me being the only one not even being able to pick up the men to take to an ambush; while Id said I was competent in the huey. I know you said it was no big deal, and I had fun, but I am vaguely embarrassed and sorry. I wasnt intentionally talking out of my ass. I could have done that mission in the past, but I really have gotten rusty.
Thanks for having me, if you still will look forward to the next night, or perhaps next monday so I have time to make sure Im proficient in landing right on LZs (the barrier walls too - Idk if dcs models that, but its awhole nother layer of complexity of course- think of how the helo crashed at the bin laden raid)
Spanky..

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Sparky,
Absolutely not a problem. 60 Sqn are all learning and we actively encourage participation; after all we have all been there. Feel free to join us anytime you like.
Wee Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Sparky, you're welcome any time.
If you're a little rusty it won't take long for it to come back to you.

If I'm on the server, look me up and I can take you through our initial taxi and forming up procedure.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Andrew,
When I read your opening post and wrote "A-10 Support", I was a little excited. Later, I downloaded the brief and discovered 97Sqn didn't get a mention. I guess that's my own fault for not saying I would be available. In my defence, I thought adding additional CAS late in the day would be a headache.

Sparky,
Welcome aboard. Enjoyed our chat the other evening. I have the Huey in my hanger, but just cannot get to grips with the machine.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Spanky

Post by Spanky »

d'oh! 60 not 6 squadron
Yeah, I just needed to refamiliarize myself on landing on tigher helipads. The longer I think about it, it has been several months since my last UH1 'dubai air ambulance' or 'CSAR campaign' binge.
Anyways you gentlemen were just total class and even though I did nothing it was awesome seeing your vics of UH1s lay waste and all the ground fire, with the control yak flying around.
I was shocked at how much a Vietnam vibe you guys had going -with mostly brit accents!
also dont be too mad at blue leader, I kept asking questions it seemed *right as or before you'd say 'Blue Leader - Blue Falcon state position/status' or whatever. :lol:
Geoff, the UH1 is one of those things in this game that you - despite other claims- CAN fly even with just a twisty base joystick. However it's a painful week or two of hours of endless stupidity and crashes before slowly, just slowly, it starts fleshing out. I despise the KA50 and wish Id never gotten the goddamn mod though. The Hind I wish i was more excited for, we will have to see.
And Geoff hello =) I really liked our conversation as well man. Id love to pick your brain for hours of what to you are totally mundane boring details
Spanky

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

309 Geoff wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 00:08 Andrew,
When I read your opening post and wrote "A-10 Support"

I have the Huey in my hanger, but just cannot get to grips with the machine.
Sorry Geoff, that was Neal's mission and post. We'll sneak the A-10 in occasionally but can't make it every week. But what I can offer you is, some 1 on 1 Huey tutorials over Christmas.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “60 Squadron”