11 October - CSAR mission

Aircraft: UH1H 'Huey'
Wee Neal 0414

11 October - CSAR mission

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Morning

60 sqn have been temporariliy tasked with assisting the 129th MASH unit during the planned deliberate attack on the local enemey stronghold. We have been advised that a significant effort is underway to control the airspace. The Enemy have deployed considerable AA assets to assist their airforce in their bid for air superiority.

This is a significant phase in the operation and we are anticipating a high attrition of our aircraft to achieve the aim.

Our mission is to rescue as many downed pilots as possible and return them safely to the MASH unit.

There are active air and AA threats throughout our area and we will need to fly NOE to avoid a sticky end. Tally Ho old chaps!!

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: 11 October - CSAR mission

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Thanks Neal, put me down for a spot please.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Yep, I'll grab a spot as well please(no more runny nose).
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Weasel

Post by Weasel »

CSAR interesting and a favourite of mine i am in
Pilot Officer Jeremy "Weasel" Lambert - RAF AIR UK

Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

I believe we all enjoyed that one. Thanks Neal.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Yep cracking session, except when I stupidly entered VRS state and crashed my first ship (Hadn't flown Huey for 2 weeks, that's my excuse), 2nd ship fared much better. 2nd downed pilot was tricky extraction, from a hillside, had to touchdown with only one skid on the ground before pilot would jump aboard. First ADF signal guided us perfectly, after that very flaky indeed, think its a known issue in MP ops.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Yes thoroughly enjoyed although i struggled keeping at 60knts, i have done alot of csar on multiplayer servers and normally theres some sort of script running and it pops up co-ordinates goes a little like this.

1. Set up in a low auto pilot orbit preferably hidden or close to friendlies
2. Hop into F10 and get the mouse to some where near the cords, use measuring tool to gauge distance and heading fastest possible route
3. Back in pit and fly to my mark point and now my bad habit of skimming tree tops and roof tops at 90 to 100knts tends to take over hence why i struggled
4. A few miles out from the mark point i start to scan the area visually to identify the downed aircraft and pilot, i am still at tree top height as this enables me to also see the flare if its scripted and i have slowed to 80knts
5. Once i have a fix on the pilot i plan my pick up usually involving a very tight turn to bleed speed so i can get in and out quickly, RTB with them then move onto the next one

So based on the above i have some bad habits :D

Could we do a simulated pick up of a trapped pilot that needs a medic team, some troops to secure the crash site, and a rescue team that have to free the pilot summit like we fly in drop them all off and orbit until the pilot is free and stable we can just orbit for a while then go in and pick them all up might also be interesting if a few insurgents open fire

See you Monday
Pilot Officer Jeremy "Weasel" Lambert - RAF AIR UK

Image Image Image

Return to “60 Squadron”