18 October Mission night - Tactical CSAR

Aircraft: UH1H 'Huey'
Wee Neal 0414

18 October Mission night - Tactical CSAR

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi all

this will be a continuation of last week, with a more in depth and tactical CSAR operation. The plan is that Paul and Weasel fly with myself and Andrew as co pilot / navigators. Any additional pilots will take on the other available hueys. Intelligence reports indicate significant SAM grid to the south. We have been unsuccessful in winning air superiority so there are significant chances of engagement by red air.

The weather is changeable with low cloud forecast.

Tally Ho chaps!!
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: 18 October Mission night - Tactical CSAR

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Excellent, I'm in.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Yep, I'm in please.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Sams and hueys what could possibly go wrong :lol:
Pilot Officer Jeremy "Weasel" Lambert - RAF AIR UK

Image Image Image

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Huey's, Sam's and Fighters!

More inteligence - From Major B Cock, inteligence Corp.

The front line has started to stabilise and is largely to the South of FOB Brazil. The enemy have located their SAM assets on the mountains, in order to dominate the high ground and maintain air superiority. The valley areas are active battle grounds with significant infantry level engagements at platoon and company level. BRDM 80s have been seen patrolling the valley roads.

BlueFor are launching major air strikes to support the main effort of destroying the enemy SAM and air assets. 60 Sqn will be acting as CSAR in support of this action. We are very likley to have to rescue pilots at high altitude, against a low level infantry threat and high level SAM. It has been reported that there are RedFor fighters patrolling our AO. The situation is extremely dangerous and we will need to move slowly and tactically in order to avoid all the enemy assetts and acheive our mission. Its time to earn your pay gentlemen!

You will have limited access to SEAD in the form of artillary, both MLRS and 155mm. Each SAM location has been determined and marked as a fire mission target. However, you only able to call 2 fire missions each, therefore you will need to plan your routes for ingress and egress carefully to ensure you utilise these SEAD assets effectively.

Admin. Please ensure that you have packed up your bunks and completed your will, which you must leave with 2ic, before you depart. Hopefully this is only a precaution!
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Sorry guy's, R/L has reared its ugly head, I'm not going to be able to make it to this session after all. Hopefully be back for Mon 25th session.

Paul
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

No problem Paul, catch you later
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Excellent mission last night.
We were tasked with picking up a downed pilot in a mountainous area. Sam defences on the high ground required a serious study of the terrain to avoid them.
With shifting 5/8 clouds, a route up a valley would be clear and then all of a sudden we would be in IFR and then we would break back in to sunshine. This added a lot of tension to the mission.

All three pilots made it to the search area after some very tricky flying, unfortunately 2 of us were shot down by a Tunguska leaving the third, Neal to carry on. We piled in with Neal, Weasel taking Co-pilot and myself as the gunner, working as a team made it easier. When in IFR Weasel scanned the dials and called out attitude and heights and I took on the map reading. We found the downed pilot on a steep slope, Neal managed to nose in and pick him up in windy and cloudy conditions. I planned a route back and after a couple of bouts of IFR we were able to descend to home base and land.

The multi crew experience in this mission was very good, it really did significantly reduce the workload and it's something we will be developing in missions like this.
The highlight for me was crossing over a mountain top and entering IFR, descending steadily through several thousand feet of cloud into a valley, popping through at about 500ft above the village. We had no casualties due to crashing in bad weather.

Overall an excellent mission.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “60 Squadron”