24 January - Troops in contact - QRF training

Aircraft: UH1H 'Huey'
Wee Neal 0414

24 January - Troops in contact - QRF training

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi all

I would like to try something new on Monday! I will also ask 97Sqn if they can offer up a pilot to trial.

The scenario. 60 Sqn will be sat at a base, troops loaded, weapons hot and acting as a Quick Reaction Force (QRF). We have reports that enemy SF light troops will be attempting to interdict our supply lines. We will respond to any calls for help.

In an ideal world we will have the following organisation:

a. Gunship - Roll to move as Vanguard to the skirmish area and observe from safe position. If we can get a Huey Gun and Hind (Shaggy?) that would be great?
- Looking for approach route routes/vectors for the slicks.
- Informing the FL of en composition and numbers.
- Acting as direct fire support as slicks insert troops.
b. A10c - Very similar roll to Gunships, with the added roll of keeping an eye out for reinforcements and taking out any troublesome enemy.
c. Slicks. The crucial roll of getting boots on the ground in the right place to support the beleaguered troops. This will requires good navigation, flying time appreciation, map appreciation to understand the terrain and how to approach with cover from fire - This is not an exercise in "fly in fast, drop troops on the en and go home for a brew". I would like to explore our techniques for a covered approach and tactical troop insertion. This may require a multi drop i.e. Drop a base of fire to suppress the enemy and win the fire fight. As this is happening the main slicks will be dropping in the assault troops (should be min 90Degrees to fire base). The FL will need to notify all fire support elements on which direct we are inserting and to where, this will then enable the Gunship(s) and CAS (?) to establish their attack runs. All to avoid a Blue on Blue situation.

So the principle stages:
Stage One - Initial call from BLUEFOR of in contact.
Stage Two - Gunships and CAS make their way to troops in contact and provide initial contact details to FL. Slicks will move to a suitable staging area closer to the contact (designated by FL).
Stage Three - Gunships and CAS finalise their observations to FL. FL plans the insertion of the troops, indicating route and time to insertion for each element.
Stage Four - Assault and Tea and Toast in the bar.

I hope that all makes sense!?

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: 24 January - Troops in contact - QRF training

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Tea and Toast in the bar?

But I'm up for the rest.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

See my response in 97 Sqn Topic. I would be happy to fly A-10C-2 nurse-maid duty.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have looked at the mission. There are a number of points:

Our T/O time looks to be the mission start time, with a Hot Start. A/C will need at least 5-10 minutes to de-fuel, load weapons, set Laser codes etc, probably longer.

I take it that the two target areas for the a-10s are as marked Tgt 1 and Tgt 2. Not sure whether targets are personnel or something else. Weapons choice will depend on type of Tgt.

We also overfly a Red Carrier on our RTB. I cannot believe that any carrier will not have adequate AA cover the blow us apart before we get near them.

I accept that there may be a brief before mission start, but I am getting bad feelings about this mission - in fact, yes, I think I can feel a migraine coming on. Can you suggest any cure?
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi Alan: Ref Migraine Relief.
I hope this will alleviate the early cause of your Migraine!
Situation, General outline. The Enemy are operating in the area of AO and they are conducting operations to dominate the area through a series of patrol bases ranging from Company strength down to Platoon. The enemy are equipped with:
a. Company strength – BTR 80’s (up to 6 pairs) , dismounted infantry and BMP2’s (3). We understand that the BMP’s are operating as fixed fire support bases around the Company locations.
b. Platoon strength – BTR 80 (2) and an unspecified number of pickups mounted with machine guns and dismounted infantry.
Mission– Our mission is for 60Sqn and attached 97 Sqn to mount a deliberate assault on the platoon location and destroy the enemy.
Execution
a. All – 1930(ish) Zulu - Receive briefing on the assault plan and discuss route and timings with all.
b. 60Sqn – 1945(ish) zulu – The Sqn prepare a route and prepare the helicopters, including loading the relevant troops. The Gunship(s) will play a key role as they will be the vanguard for the Heli team and they will be undertaking Recce on the Platoon location.
c. 97 Sqn – 1945(ish) zulu – Prepare AC for the assault phase and make your way to holding waypoint, this to be at your best safe speed. You will receive confirmation timings from Wee Neal as 60Sqn timings become clear.
d. 97 Sqn and Gunships – Conduct close up (A10 TGP) recce of the enemy location and prepare an attack plan. This will be coordinated with Wee Neal.
e. 97 Sqn H Hour; Commence destruction of Company mechanised assets.
f. Gunships H Hour + 5mins; Commence destruction of Platoon mechanised assets.
g. Slicks H Hour + 5 mins; deploy mortar teams for indirect fire tasks against Platoon location.
h. 60 Sqn – H Hour +10; deploy infantry fire base.
i. 60 Sqn – H Hour + 13 deploy assault infantry.
Clarification points:
a. I will adjust WP timings factoring in the 15mins prep
b. I will relabel target WP to be clear as Coy and Pl locations.
c. Red Carrier will be ROE hold fire for this exercise!
This is a trial mission for joint ops so I expect lots of learning points! I am approaching this from an Infantry commander perspective (might be a flawed approach) and 60Sqn and 97Sqn to work out plan from that? I hope that is enough paracetamol to relieve the onset.

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Return to “60 Squadron”