PC Scrambled

Flight Sim Chat
Flyco
Site Admin

PC Scrambled

Post by Flyco »

After having a series of gremlins pulling my system into pieces I took a good look at it, and it is need of some considerable care and attention. I will therefore be away from flying for a few days/weeks/years.

I am inclined to think that I have had some sort of surge. At least one of my devices is completely dead, another responds only to some inputs, and most of them appear to have changed their ID number and some of their inputs actions. Very puzzling.

I have built it up over some 6-7 years using a variety of devices, some no longer available, and so will be doing a full “re-think”. The fact that the Config files, for both the stable and the OB versions have altered is particularly puzzling. If anyone has met a similar problem in the past, I would welcome some information about it.

At the moment I am tempted to clear the system totally, and re-install Windows on a new SSD - the current 500 Gb SSD is stuffed with miscellaneous crap, but as an inveterate hoarder I am reluctant to dump,it.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

john (scooby)

Re: PC Scrambled

Post by john (scooby) »

psu failure can and does cause all sorts of bizarre problems including the ones youre listing alan
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Yes, that was my first thought - a sudden blip on the voltage out from the PSU. I am gradually working through my devices - so far only one is entirely dead. One other is intermittent, mainly with the analogue inputs - however a replacement is showing the same symptoms, and that cannot be because of a surge, so I think that may be the software somewhere - certainly the DCS Config "diff" files are screwed up.

I am a little more hopeful of repairing it in the longer term. I just wish that every bit of DCS and Microsoft, didn't give different reference numbers to every device if it is re-installed or changed in locations. I have taped my own ref label to each device now, and use a 'look-up' chart.

I used to enjoy electronics, but that was when my eyes could see clearly, my hands could feel and respond consistently, and my brain could hold a memory for longer than 15 seconds. Tempus when it fugits is a bugger! Still at least I am not dribbling over the electronics (not yet anyway).
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

john (scooby)

Post by john (scooby) »

if the psu output is low then youl get random things working and not working or even partially working. i had LOTS of wierd issues with my pc until i bought a new psu.
Sqn Ldr (Scooby) Burton RAF Air UK
XI(F) Sqn 2ic
Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Well good luck, I hope you can get it sorted soon.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Chris

Post by Chris »

john (scooby) wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 17:46 if the psu output is low then youl get random things working and not working or even partially working. i had LOTS of wierd issues with my pc until i bought a new psu.
Snap... first shown was issues with the 14 USB devices plugged into the system.... 2 expensive guaranteed 5W per socket multi USB gangs sorted that for a while then of course the PSU went down... should have realized!!! Stuffed the biggest I could fit - Corsair HXi Series, HX1200i, 1200 Watt, Fully Modular Digital Power Supply, 80+ Platinum Certified and no issues now... :)
Kind Regards
Chris :)

Weasel

Post by Weasel »

Sorry to hear that Alan hope you get it fixed soon.
Pilot Officer Jeremy "Weasel" Lambert - RAF AIR UK

Image Image Image

Shaggy

Post by Shaggy »

Alan, something that Shane(Alien) suggested a few months ago for me was Advanced systemcare app that is free and it really helped clear up my disks and improve overal performance. It has since kept my PC in peak performance.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=stri ... 20&bih=966

I also downloaded Drive Booster 8 which is from the same company and that brought everything i have in the PC and its drivers fully up to date. The Freeware features are great but limits you to 2 Updates per day so it took a while to fully update all my drivers.

https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php
Captain Simon "SHAGGY" Jones
RAF AIR UK - 664 Sqn 2ND IC and Instructor
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “FS Chat”