Joystick Deadzones and Axis Settings.

Flight Sim Chat
Dave McQueen

Joystick Deadzones and Axis Settings.

Post by Dave McQueen »

Hi

I have a X-52 Pro and was just wondering what peoples preferences are for deadzones, curves and saturation? I have small deadzones of 3 on X,Y and Rudder and curves of 15 as this was a suggestion on the ED Forums. However one thing I notice when taking off is that when pulling back the stick at take off speed nothing happens for a while and suddenly the nose goes up and if I don't catch it in time the tail strikes the ground. So perhaps it's my settings or perhaps it's normal and just me.

Any advice appreciated.

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Joystick Deadzones and Axis Settings.

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Dave, I run an X52 Pro. Will check settings tomorrow night and repost.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Dave McQueen

Post by Dave McQueen »

Thanks Richard. Appreciated.

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Hi Dave,

Are you calculating the correct rotation speed from the aircraft weight? It may be that the aerodynamic forces haven't risen enough initially to rotate the aircraft, so you may be over controlling, then when the lift reaches the right level, the aircraft will over rotate. If in doubt, wait until your airspeed reaches 135 knots, then rotate, and see if it happens smoothly.

Curves should just reduce the elevator deflection for a given stick position, put only up to a certain point, beyond which the elevators will then move much further than the stick deflection.

My advice would be to fly a few times with different curves and see which feels best to you. And I'd start with no deadzone, and no curve so you can tell just what the changes are doing. It is also an exercise well worth carrying out again after you have been flying a lot more, and have more of a feel for the aircraft. I find theat curves are useful for precision work like AAR, but for general flying, they are far relevant.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Dave McQueen

Post by Dave McQueen »

Thanks Neil. I'll try your suggestions. In the meantime do you have your current settings Richard?

Thanks again.

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Hi Dave.

My Axis settings are :-

Pitch = DZ 4
CV 13

Roll = DZ 4
CV 7

Richard

Dave McQueen

Post by Dave McQueen »

Thanx for reply. Nothing on rudder?

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Nah bud. Default for that.

Marcus Armstrong

Post by Marcus Armstrong »

Using the x52 pro too had the same issue when rotating under 130 knots, as Neil said, wait for 135 or 150 if taking off heavy, get a much smoother departure.

Chilts

Post by Chilts »

One of the things I always do is, immediately after I press the take off trim button I flick nose down trim 2 or 3 times as I find the angle too steep on departure. Not sure whether it's correct though but it helps me keep the take off shallower until speed builds up.

Return to “FS Chat”