What do I need to get going?

Flight Sim Chat
Pete Reed

What do I need to get going?

Post by Pete Reed »

Hi Guys, Sorry missed Tuesday night. I struggle to get on before about 10pm as everyone else is on my PC ;)

I want to get up flying again and a bit of practice. I have FS9 ( and FSX ) installed and downloaded a few of the other things here in the forum which I should be able to work out. I download RAF Cranwell ( as I seem to be based there in my profile ) and the Firefly. Thought I would try and pracky a few circuits etc and get used to flying rather than creating craters everywhere.

1/ Is there a good list of scenery that I should be looking for, does it have to be the same as what everyone else is using online? Maybe a standard pack to download?

2/ Same as above for plane skins, is there a standard set that you all use or recommend ?

3/ I have the Firefly but it seems to only have a 2D cockpit. I have a triple screen setup and FS9 looks naff in it, specially the 2D cockpits ( stretched and grainy ). Looks better in VC cockpits. FSX is far better looking but I understand from Clyde you all use FS9 but he did say with the right scenery etc you can make it loads better ( so both 1 and 2 above may help ). Looking at the widescreen gaming forums FS9 does not support the triple screen properly. Are there any known tweaks or tips to use FS9 on triple?

4/ What sort of times do you all get on and meet up?

Sorry still a bit of a rookie at all this especially online flying. Any other tips or tweaks will be welcome ;)

Clyde.Whiting
Site Admin

Re: What do I need to get going?

Post by Clyde.Whiting »

I really don't know anything about triple screens but I know it can be done.

A lot of the stuff we do is based around the 2D cockpit but I'm sure with some trial and error you can get the same results with 3D cockpits in aircraft that have them, or borrow them from other aircraft.

As for scenery and aircraft, bear with us. We are coming up with some packages for what you need. In the meantime things can be sent via Skype and Dropbox
Wing Commander Clyde Whiting - OC OPS - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Marcus Armstrong

Post by Marcus Armstrong »

Use to use dual screens (not the best for VC given the bar in the middle) my inclination would be to use one screen as the cockpit, one for navigation and one for an external view in an un-docked window for visibility.

For question 4, if its instruction you want then see the training thread (http://www.rafairuk.co.uk/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=64), if its for company for flights other then Tuesday Flight Night, just let people know you would like an Ad Hoc Flight and what you would like to do.

Pete Reed

Post by Pete Reed »

Thanks for the reply guys. I think Marcus's idea of splitting the views is good, might actually give me what I am after. I will give it a whirl tonight and see how it works.

Just found the training request thread, will try it sometime as some instruction would be welcome. The only trouble it needs a bit of planning and my game time isn't that well planned lol. I need to move one of my kids out and have a PC room all to myself ;)

Marcus Armstrong

Post by Marcus Armstrong »

No worries, I recently lost my study to my youngest.... though bunk beds may be an option lol :P.

As for times and planning, either Ad Hoc, Military (such as a cap) or Instructional flight, my available times are shifting from this Monday to Sundays and Mondays, 8 to 11-12, though I could probably do an hour or so during the week, feel free to PM me if you want to discuss times. Naturally I can't speak for the others but we can normally get something sorted out.

Pete Reed

Post by Pete Reed »

Cool thanks Marcus, will try to get it all running and do a few practice flights to get back into it.

Pete Reed

Post by Pete Reed »

Really can't get to like or setup FS9 in my triple screen. If I use VC in the stock planes everything looks ok. When in 2D mode the textures look horrible and stretched and don't improve if I undock and place on one screen.

I have tried undocking the cockpit screen and placing on the middle screen. I then created new views for external and overhead and placed on my LH and RH screen. I still have the borders for each window and task bar/desktop , which I guess I can hide taskbar but borders? But I seem to have to set up everytime I run the game or change plane.

I also tried running in one screen resolution but it turns my two outer screens to standby and just turns my middle screen off completely. I am using a triplehead2go on an AMD card which may be the issues with this game as it treats my screens as 1 screen. I can't seem to find any sensible fixes for it on FS2004? I find it strange it all looks reasonable in VC but not in 2D cockpits. FSX on the other hand is compeletly fine.

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Hi Pete,

Have read your posts with interest regardin three screens. I can only dream of a setup like that. Don't think the Mrs would like it.

Anyway, you may well be a blessing in disguise for us. If okay with you, could we conduct a few tests with scenery and aircraft on your system.

Offline (ie not on multiplayer) it doesnt matter whether you are using FS9 or FSX so long as you are able to get FSAcars setup to send the PIREPS. I assume that it simply recognises FSX in the same way as it does with FS9. Therefore for anything offline you are sorted as you can use FSX with whatever version of an aircraft suits your VC/3 screen needs.

Online(multiplayer) is another story though. The system that we use(FSHost) can connect to FSX and FS9 no problem. However, for each of us to see the particular aircraft that another pilot is flying, we all have to have that VERY same one installed, even if we are not using it ourselves at the time. Not a major issue with FS9 as that is essentially a 2D world as far as cockpits are concerned and aircraft of all shapes and sizes are readily available. A lot of FS9 aircraft will work fine in FSX, but some of the gauges may not work. That in itself is not too much of an issue for you if you are simply installing them so that FS9 user appear correct to your view.

The problem occurs with FSX aircraft. They simply are not compatible with FS9 so if you have an all singing all dancing version of say Tornado GR4 designed for FSX, it is very unlikely we will see you in that bird. what will happen is that if we would see you in whatever we are flying at the time.

Now, having said that about FSX specific aircraft, there are some versions of many aircraft out there that it says are compatible with FSX/FS9. Now if you were to use one that is cross platform and FS9 users had that one installed as well as our FS9 version, it may be that we see you in the correct bird. I am not 100% sure on this so we do need to do a few tests.

Given a little time I think we may be able to get around the scenery/aircraft issues but the one thing that you will NOT be able to use in FSX is FSNavigator as it does not work.

We do need to do some testing on this, so if you want to download the various scenery I mentioned in the email and install a few of the aircraft we will perform a few tests. One of the aircraft, Firefly, I am 99% sure is not available in FSX so to do training in that I think you will simply have to put up with it in 2D and use FS9.

Please then have a hunt for versions of the birds we use that are BOTH FSX and FS9 compatible. The typhoon in the download has an FSX version as well so try that one http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/ALPHA_ ... on_FSX.msi

Can you be online on Tuesday night from 19:00??

Richard
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK

Pete Reed

Post by Pete Reed »

Hi Richard , thanks for your post.

3 screens are nice, I only use 3 x 19inch monitors but as it is all desk mounted it fits and works pretty well. I have had it setup for a good number of year and going back to 1 monitor sends me cross-eyed lol. Didn't cost me much at all to setup, got the Matr0x triple head for £50.00 and I already had one monitor and another two that came along for nothing as they were broke, and voila triple joy. I have a modern AMD card that has eyeinfinity but I need active adapters so have stuck with the Matrox which works well ( luckily as on a previous AMD card it wouldn't work ).

So if I get your post right, I can use FSX as long as I am only using made for FS9 models online. So in theory if I download and install all the files in your email it should work online alongside yourselves? Will look into giving it a go as FSX is easier to fix the FOV and issues. But FSX Navigator won't work, I guess that is for flight planning. Maybe there is equivalent software for FSX, possibly FSTramp ( looks to be the FSX version )?

I have downloaded most of the files already but some refuse to download.I got all the planes ok except the Herc but only Marham, Coningsby and Brize from the scenery. All others just go in a loop of looking for the file and no download pops up. I have tried on all my PC's and they are the same ( mix of XP and W7 ) and also in different browsers.

I can try and be on for 7pm Tuesday if I get home from work on-time, can kick the lad off my PC , cook dinner and make tea for the Mrs ;). Normally I have no hope till 9pm at the earliest but I will see what I can do. I really want to do some flying ( preferably online ) with you guys so an effort I will try and make.

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Pete,

Don't know what was up with the downloads.

Just refreshed the edits and works now. Darn computers!!!!!!!!

Try again bud.

With the online flying, if you use FSX, hopefully if you use a model that can be used with BOTH FSX/FS9 it should work. The only way to tell is to test it, and that can't be done unless you are online.

This FSX/FS9 issue will be a learning curve for all.

Another issue is FPS. We may have to restrict FSX users to a max setting as some of the blurb I have read says that hih FSX FPS settings can cause big lag issues. Will check into this further before I commit on a setting.

If on Tuesday you can't get on until 21:00, I can prob spend 45 mins with you to do a few tests.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK

Return to “FS Chat”