Getting 41(f) Squadron involved (F/A-18C OCU)

RAF Air UK Mission Planners Area
Matt
Site Admin

Getting 41(f) Squadron involved (F/A-18C OCU)

Post by Matt »

Hi guys,

As we know the 41(f) Squadron (F/A-18C OCU Pilots) are a super dedicate group who strive for a realistic mission type and planning, this is often considered a hard task to build in to a Tuesday night mission, however it really is dead simple to achieve, so i thought i'd write this post to explain the simplest way to get every squadron together!

Firstly these guys have been training a very realistic set training syllabus for around 2-3 years now (along time from back when myself, Ade and Paul Gillon started practicing Tac turns) now they have Will at the helm, a fine gent and previous real world commander of the RAF Jaguar fleet the man has more experience than we can shake a stick at (including the Gulf war)....you can start to see why they have such great dedication to realism!

The way they work is very much self sufficient all you need to do is send them a miz file with one of their on your map aircraft and hide everything in the mission apart from their target, they will then plan their own flightplan and aircraft loadout's....they will ensure their own flights security (by having their own dedicated CAP if they see fit from their own squadron pilots) they will place their own DMPI' (Designated mean point of impact) ....(target waypoint to you and me) on the map and then simply hand the Miz file back to you.

Once you receive the Miz file back just unhide everything and bobs your uncle! (well my godfather but there you go :lol: ) you have a completed mission and have get the fine pilots of 41(f) Squadron flying alongside the other squadrons.

A few tips from me:

1) Message Ade (Roon) he is a absolute gent and will explain exactly how they operate and how you can best use them in a mission....or better yet ask to sit in for one of their missions as a spectator to see how they operate (make sure you boot up SRS and listen in to their comms it will explain a lot!)

2) Don't stick them deep in your main AO, i tend to give them a target somewhere outside the main location ( for example one of my missions has then hit a radio rebroadcasting site around 80 miles north which if they hit it in the allotted TOT will limit the number of reinforcements heading to the AO)

3) Challenge them, they are very capable.....if you want more than one target hit, give them 2 or 3 they will soon let you know if its not viable or is a little too much! they can sometimes get 8-12 pilots to a mission so honestly they are a great asset in a mission!

It really is as simple as hiding everything accept their target on the map and sending them the file....that's it, they will do the rest for you....much like i am doing this week with every squadron for Op Salamander!

I hope this helps and encourages you guys to have a go at getting the OCU in a mission, the misconception is that they are difficult to implement, that is far from the truth!

Matt.
Air Commodore Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
CO 1(F) Squadron
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Getting 41(f) Squadron involved (F/A-18C OCU)

Post by Flyco »

I support this move very strongly. Further, I would advocate its introduction to involve all other PRIMARY squadrons. By primary, I mean those squadrons capable of providing at least one flight of 4 trained and competent pilots. If there are more than 4 in any squadron, they can provide 2 flights.

It would be essential for a single person (or at most a very small group) to design the overall operation, and define the different tasks required; CAS, CAP, SEAD, TOTs etc - In effect they become the Operation Commander. They would then issue the tasks to the participating units, with a date for the routes to be defined. Any necessary changes that become apparent should be resolved between the Operation Commander and the relevant Flt or Sqn Cdr.

If we do try this, might I suggest that we allow sufficient time, and perhaps approach Will to act as Operation Commander and to prepare the first Operation. We must also ensure that we do not fall into our bad old ways of saying 'Yes, of course we can include an extra Spitfire/F2000/L-39 etc" Anyone who wants to fly on this will have to be able to do so with out screwing it up for everyone else.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: Getting 41(f) Squadron involved (F/A-18C OCU)

Post by 0405 Andrew »

I can confirm that this has been the way the missions are designed now for all squadrons and have been for the last month, it's been early days but I think we are there now.

Please see this post on guidance for mission design going forward. viewtopic.php?f=145&t=4736
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Return to “Mission Planners Section”