Draken

Military Screenshots
David Lindau

Draken

Post by David Lindau »

Jay44

Re: Draken

Post by Jay44 »

Nice David i have always like the Vigen from childhood use to have a few models of it always reminded me of a little space jet seemed so futuristic when i was younger but has it ever seen combat i ask

David Lindau

Post by David Lindau »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_w ... ing_Sweden
Sweden as a nation has been mostly peaceful for the last 100 years or so.

That said the situation over and on the Baltic sea, has been more or less intense since WWII and the beginning of the cold war. Large amount of ELINT aircrafts operating in the area, and not always having their maps sorted. ;)
Saw an documentary the other day, probably late 60's when they ran 300-400 intercept/ident. sorties per year.
One Viggen (AJSH) was lost October 1996 during recon of a Russian battle cruiser. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_w ... ing_Sweden )
Most likely pilot error, probable in avoiding a Russian BE-12.

To give you an idea, they raised the hard deck for the Viggen pilot's over sea from 33ft to 66ft. This after a pilot RTB'ed with a good long chunk of telephone wire still attached to his fin. (wire was hung between two islands in the archipelago).
At 33ft you can't bank to much as your wing will get wet (rotational point is above the wings), or pitch up to hard as the pitch rotational-point is 1/2 from nose and you will stick your ass in the water.
At that altitude the ground effect has a tendency to tip you nose down. (yank and put your ass in the water).

The JA-37 (fighter version), has "been known" to chase SR-71's at around 20 000m (65 000ft).
Engine management becomes quite important as engine failure (hammer-shock) at that altitude leads to cabin pressure failure.

Let's just hope that the Mirage will not be the only delta on the block :)

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

I must say, the Drakken was very iconic. I have a feeling we may get at least one Swedish airframe given the fact that Cobra from Leatherneck is from that neck of the woods. I'd definitely prefer the Drakken to the Viggen. I always thought of the Viggen as the Thunderbolt of the modern era, HUGE!
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Military”