Formation for the A-10C

This section is for documents only. General comments are not allowed. If you have a suggestions relating to any document in here, please use the SUGGESTIONS forum.
Flyco
Site Admin

Formation for the A-10C

Post by Flyco »

I have attached a short manual covering various formations, which I propose we adopt for use within the A-10C.

Some of them are not especially relevant to the A-10C, but most of the formations are explained reasonably clearly. Some, such as the Fighting Wing, are definitely not applicable to the A-10, but the Trail, Wedge, Box, are representative of what we should be using, and the turns are quite well explained. The distances are also probably a bit much for the A-10, and should probable be reduced to around 50-70% of the figures quoted.

Please submit any comment you have about them. I would welcome views.
Attachments
74thvTSFormationGuideChange3.pdf
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 114 times
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Formation for the A-10C

Post by Flyco »

Having now spoken with the F-18 OCU, I suggest that we standardise on the following formation procedures:

At height - the 4-ship Box, the Wedge (2 & 4-ship), and 2-ship Line abreast.

At low level we will generally use the Wedge or Trail.

Spacing laterally generally 6000 ft (1 nm), and fore and aft 9000 ft (1.5nm). (Use SADL to maintain distances - but get used to how it looks)

Turns will normally be called by the leader, but you should be aware of when they are due, from reference to the TAD route.

Close(ish) formation will be Vic, or Finger-4, moving to loose echelon for the break. The break will be flown from 500 ft agl, 250 kias to maintain 500 ft until at least half-way round finals.

On landing, move to the exit side of the runway as soon as the aircraft is safely under control, with NWS selected by 60 kias, and delay breaking until at least half-way down the runway.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Document Repository”