Mission Tues 13th July, Pilots Needed.

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Mission Tues 13th July, Pilots Needed.

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Alan, I'm happy to fly in whichever flight you want me in
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Pontiac 2 please, Alan.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The updated map has now been published. There is a considerable increase in Red ground units at the northern part of our 'beat'. Although there are very limited AD and armed units among the Red ground units, we will need to look again at both the Pontiac-1/Pontiac-2 split and the weapons we should carry. We will wait to see how many we get signing up to fly A-10s, but it looks as though we might want to add cluster weapons (if approved), or LG rockets. Additionally, we might want to limit those going south (currently Pontiac-2), to no more than 2 (I don't like sending singletons). If we can get 6 A-10 pilots, I suspect 4 to the north and 2 to the south would be optimum.

In real life, killing a loaded vessel, is likely to be worth a dozen or more supply trucks, but this isn't real life!

I will look again at the optimum weapon load-outs and have a chat with Pontiac-2 lead (Paul), some time on Monday afternoon/evening - when will you be available for a pow-pow Paul?

An overall task brief will be available this evening or early tomorrow. Finishing that off will be greatly preferable to watching television this evening!!!
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul I have taken a fresh look at the load-out, and we do need to change it, for some ac at least.

Fortunately you can carry a 21 LGB Rocket rocket pod on Weapon Station 3. This will replace the GBU-12 or 2x Mavs which we have currently requested. We only need to do it for Pontiac-1, but we will need at least 3, preferably, 4 in that flight.

Additionally, with many targets in the same small area we will also need to set up different Laser Codes for those carrying them. Not a problem for anti-ship because there will be at least a mile between vessels. I built in 5 min extra for the start up, so a minor load out and Laser Code change should not delay us unduly.

I will finalise details tomorrow.
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Copy that, Alan, I think I might carry 12 x GBU-12's and a couple of Mav-D.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
Noted. Just tried hitting a cargo ship with 21 Laser MK282s. Only registered 62% damage, with all rockets hitting the deck. I might have sunk it if I hit the waterline. If it's acceptable, I'll re-arm with 2*MAV G's, 12*GBU12's, and 88% fuel.
21.JPG
21.JPG (247.28 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Yes, Geoff, the rockets are pretty useless against the cargo vessels. However, at some of the landing points there may be some vehicles already ashore, hence the M282s. As I say I shall take 2 x Mav-Ds, 21 x M282s and 10 x GBU-12s.

We only anticipate up to 20 cargo vessels, so even with two GBUs per ship, we should manage with 5 A-10s: 2 working up along the coast from the south, and the other 3 dealing with the ships around the northern landing area and any units that are ashore already.
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
Makes total sense.
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The A-10C brief for tomorrow's Op Oh Man is attached as a PDF document. Please read it and let me know asap if there is anything missing or anything that I have not explained properly.

As each updated version is sent in by other units, I have noticed minor changes to our Sqn's set-up, but nothing we cannot fix, before flight. Note the changes to the proposed weapon load-out. If anyone wants to change anything else (within reason feel) free to do so, but let me (or Paul - Pontiac-2 leader) know.

Note that Pontiac-1 members will need to change the Laser code settings, for: GBU-12s, M282 Rockets, and TGP Laser. This is because we will be firing at targets within a few feet of other targets. It should not be necessary for Pontiac-2 to do this, since they will not have the same number of ground targets, and their ship targets will be at least a mile apart.

I will cover the take-off brief over R/T as we taxy out (we have about 2 miles to taxi!).
Attachments
Op Oh Man Brief.pdf
(794.37 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Image Image Image Image

Phlash

Post by Phlash »

Is it too late to request a slot in this flight? If not, count me in!

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”