Op Shield

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
309 Geoff

Re: Op Shield

Post by 309 Geoff »

All
Have you been able to test out your targets?

The MavD against my ZSU failed. They keep hitting the telegraph poles.

I killed my ZSU with a GBU12. Immediately the remaining vehicle hide in the woods. Even with my new eyes, I've found it impossible to identify the convoy in the trees with my TGP.

My tactic will be to stand off, and wait for the convoy to get back on the road.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

I have not yet. That is my plan tonight.

If we are able to see the sort of scatter into the trees, it could be an well placed cbu will do the business. That will be my test tonight.

Report on your desk by 9pm tonight Geoff
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

I did a test yesterday, found no targets anywhere. Sorry forgot to report, got sidetracked.

Have to hope I see them on Tuesday night.

Paul
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Paul,
Convoy "A" is a challenge. Have a look at ZSU "B" when you are about 35-30 mile out. I saw both convoys on the TGP. You might be able to track your convoy "A". However, they disappear out of view about 10 miles from WP6, your ZSU "A". That's the contours. They appear about 7mile from WP6 giving enough time to lock on and pickle/rifle. I've tried several attack heading, and altitudes, but still the same result. Best of luck. You also have Alan for the same convoy.

Richard,
I tried to put a MP on the convoy whilst in a turn above them, trying to keep my laser on the ZSU. I failed. However, a could see the parked convoy on the F10 map. Input it's co-ords, pickled a CBU 97, and killed 3 vehicles. I could see the smoke from the dead ZSU on the TGP, but couldn't see the vehicles. I had to release blind.
I guess the F10 cheat will not be available, so I'm tempted to release a CBU behind the ZSU, and hope for the best. Not a good tactic, so I'll only try it once. I then might wait for the convoy to get to the A'field.
From WP10(CROSS Rd) to 1200ft north along the road, there are no trees. you may get a clear sight attacking on 300deg, your offset corridor, or 004deg aligned with the road. Best of luck.

Maybe I've been a little greedy with having 3*TOTs. Just increases our chances for TOT success. Look forward to your report.

I hate trees.
ImageImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Thanks for the info Geoff

Paul
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have taken a look at the plan. I don’t like the idea of 3 different run-ins and patterns.

With only 4-5 ac I don’t see why we shouldn’t run in along the roads as two pairs, turning outward after dropping ordnance. That is going to give us the best chance of picking up the targets. If we leave 30 secs or even more between aircraft attacking along both roads there should not be a problem.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
I note your comments. The miz and brief, in my opinion, were delivered in good time for 97Sqn, & Boos. I spent a lot of time planning and testing, putting them together.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, it's now to late for me to make any changes.
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Op Shield‘

Post by Flyco »

I don’t think we need to change anything formally. Just have the ac allocated to attack Convoy B, fly the same track as that of the ac due to attack Convoy A, but 30 secs ahead.

I haven’t actually flown it yet but I find it difficult to believe that an ac attacking WP7 from the west will even see the road.

After all no plan survives first contact with the enemy!
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,

At WP3. we separate for the three ZSUs.
I'll be leading, so I will attack Convoy B on an approx hdg of 004deg. That's aligned with the road. Convoy B are the furthest away from us. So at WP3, I plan to accelerate to make my TOT.
At WP3, you and Paul, will take the same attack hdg as me, approx 004deg, but expect to slow down to make your TOT attack on convoy A. That will go us all the separation we need.
At WP3, I expect Richard will accelerate, & continue on his hdg for approx 3-4m, and then turn to approx 004deg to align along the road, for his TOT on Convoy C.

The Sun will not interfere with us attacking on 004deg. It will be in our 2o'clock.

If we all achieve our TOTs, we then start operating in our Offset corridors.
I will be exiting on 240, and attacking on 060. I'll have the sun in my eyes for my attack.
Richard will exit on 060 with sun in his eyes, but attack on 300.
You and Paul will exit 180, and attack 000. You will have no issues with the sun.

The road is difficult to see, even when fully aligned with the road.

Hope this helps.
ImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Here we go Geoff,

Sorry it's a tad later than I said. I am only commenting on the tgts you gave me as not had time to try any others.

Tried taking the C group at the WP9 but the tree cover was just too strong and the MAV just knocked leaves off.

If I set up to take the convoy when it reaches the T Junction (WP8) they are in a more open area and it is dead easy to take the ZSU out. If I bide my time and take it at max MAV range I can continue the run in and drop a CBU97 just slightly NE of centre of the scattered BMPs. Have tried it three times and the worst run left 2 BMPs live which I then took out with unguided MK151s and gun.

A success from that aspect, but being as this WP is before the designated tgt point it will bugger up the TOT by about 30 secs
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”