Op Blaggards 2 - 01/03/22 - Pilots Required

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
309 Geoff

Op Blaggards 2 - 01/03/22 - Pilots Required

Post by 309 Geoff »

All,
Paul hasn't assigned lead yet, so here are my initial thoughts:-
No T/O or TOT shown in the updated FRAG yet, so planning is a little obtuse.
I'm assuming we will have 4 pilots, so my idea is to split into 2 flights, 1 and 2. I've used two IPs, North and South. There are 5 convoys, moving west, which I've named ConA to ConE. ConA is the most northerly, and ConE, the most southerly. ConE is the only convoy without a ZSU. We should destroy all ZSUs before descending low level. Cloud base is 8000ft.
My idea is for Flt 1 (2 aircraft) to operate from IP North, and take out the 2 single ZSUs in ConA & B.
Flt 2 (2 aircraft), to operate from IP South, and destroy the 2 single ZSUs in ConC & D.
Flt 1 to use a left hand race track, and Flt 2, right hand, for separation.
Once the ZSUs have been destroyed, then,
Flt1-1, concentrates on ConA,
Flt1-2 on ConB
Flt2-1, ConD, and.
Flt2-2, ConE.
Then we can decide on attacking ConC, using both IPs.
Mission start is 1100hrs, and a/craft start time is 0700. ConA&C are stationary at 0800hrs, so only have one Target WP. ConC, D, & E, each have two target WPs for 0800 and 0830hrs. ConD is the only convoy still moving after 0830.
Have a look at the image below. I've removed some of the polygons to reduce clutter. It might make the above a little clearer.
OpB Overview.JPG
OpB Overview.JPG (518.9 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
Below is my outline miz. Only 1 aircraft, armed with 6*MavD, 42 laser M151, and 3*GBU12.
OpB_2_97Sqn.miz
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
I will be flying on the 1st.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Re: Op Blaggards 2 - 01/03/22 - Pilots Required

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Go on, Geoff, seeing as you have done the prelimary(is that how its spelled?), you lead and plan this one.

Alan you do the next one please, once we get details for it.

Pau.

P.S: I will be attending this one.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Paul,
Thanks. I'll create the miz and brief, and lead the mission.
At the moment, I need a reply from Black-Witch with an update on T/O time and TOTs, before I can proceed much further.
My plan is to circulate the 97Sqn miz to B-W, by close of business Saturday. The 97Sqn brief will be circulated Sunday.
So far, no comments received on the miz I circulated earlier.
There are 49 targets to destroy. Tanks, BMPs, and ZSUs. We are going to be busy.
We need at least 4 pilots. Just you and me at the moment.
Yesterday I tested my plan on Convoy A. Found them, and destroyed the ZSU. Convoy then scattered, so I'm thinking about re-arming with a couple of CBU105s.
ImageImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Yep, with that amount of targets, it will be useful if we are authorized to use cluster weapons, I prefer using CBU-97's. I like using APKWS Rockets as well, but they take time to setup a shot for each target. mind you if the targets are closely grouped and you run in at about 180kts, you can get off three rockets with 10 second spacing and if you are quick aiming the TGP, you can hit three targets in the one run in.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

I am in too!
Let's take those Reds out!!!! :)

Filip
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

All,
Here is the 97Sqn miz for Tuesday:-
OpBlaggards_97Sqn.miz
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 61 times
At the moment, we have only 3 pilots. The miz has 6 planes, 2 flights of 3.

Richard, Alan; could you please let me know if you plan to fly. I will then allocate aircraft, and convoy targets.

There are no TOTs. However, we have a vast area to search, and convoys "B" & "D" will still be moving as we arrive. Therefore, we will be using a TOT of 081200Z, for these two convoys.
I have tried to calculate the location of Convoys "B" & "D" at 0812 and 0830. Both these convoys have two target waypoints for these times.

I will be Boar Flt 1, Boar1-1 and my target convoy will be "Con B".

Paul, regardless of who's available on the night, you will be deputy lead, Boar Flt 2, Boar 2-1. Set you TOT to 081200 on WP11(ConD-0812).

I hope it all becomes clearer after I've circulate the brief. I hope to complete it by close of business, Saturday.
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I should be available.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

All,
Here is the brief, for Tuesday.
Op Blaggards 2 - 97Sqn.pdf
(413.98 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
I have assumed 5 pilots, including Richard. If the Boss cannot fly, then I will make changes to the flight line up, and maybe convoy targets.

Watch this space.
ImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

All,
If Richard cannot fly, please have a look at the pdf below. It's Plan "B" for myself, Falcon, Paul, and Flyco.
Op Blaggards Plan B - 4 Pilots.pdf
(104.93 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
No changes for myself, or Falcon.
Paul, your only changes are the laser code, and In Flight call sign
Flyco, in addition to a new laser code and In Flight call sign, your target has changed from ConE, to ConC. You now have a ZSU to destroy for your first strike.

ConE will be additional tasking.
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Geoff, I have had a look though our mission, and have a couple of points to make.

Most significantly, some of the aircraft are loaded with are Unguided rockets, rather than Guided - that will need a change. Additionally, I note that you are using 131 warheads as opposed to 282s. My understanding is that the 282s are better against armoured targets.

I can also foresee some problems with the laser coding. I suggest it would be better to allocate a code to a callsign, rather than an individual. That way, if there is a late joiner, there is less room for confusion. I note your later addition (Plan B), but am not certain whether ther iks still a possibility of 5 ac, and waht the codes will be in that case.

On a more personal note, with your agreement, I will be amending my load to use 282s rather than 131s, a CBU 105 rather than a 97, and I will be carrying AIM-9s.

Sorry to appear an old woman (no sexism intended), but I like to prepare a kneepad of relevant data in advance - indeed my ossifying memory demands it.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”