OP Abii

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
Flyco
Site Admin

OP Abii

Post by Flyco »

I have drawn up an interim first plan for the proposed Mission Abii. Just awaiting response to a couple of questions about target position.

I propose a LL transit and attack (500-1000 ft agl), with a single pass just south of the runway. Proposed weapon is retarded bombs (awaiting OK from Andrew). Also carry rockets for a possible follow up attack.

Fly as separate sections - we will require 3 sections for the 3 targets. 210 kias until fence in, then 240 once in the area, and 210 from fence out. Approaching target on attack heading, No 2 and 3 sections will ease back to about 1-2 nm. Lead Sn will take the furthemost target (Helicopters), Second section will take the centre (Hangar), Third section will take the closest (Fuel Dump). That way we should get minimum interference during the run in. Note the relative positions and the out-of-sequence waypoint numbering in the target area. It may well be that it would be better for the second and third sections to space out slightly to the left of track on the run in - up to individuals.

After the run we will turn South to a parallel track, and carry out BDA (Battle Damage Assessment), and, if required, a further run in via the same IP will be attempted.

There is no AD shown, but who knows? There are MBTs situated about 3/4 nm to the Left and right of the run-in, but if we are low and fast they should provide no problem.

RTB will be as the ingrees, 240 kias at LL until we fence out then 210 kts at around 100 ft agl. Join will be for a break to land, nominally at 250kias from 500 ft agl.

Feel free to try a dummy run and let me have any comments (no weapons loaded at present - I want to see how they work out).
Attachments
Abii-intel Ver 1.miz
(175.73 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Re: OP Abii

Post by 309 Geoff »

Alan,
Just had a quick look at your miz.
I had to change the A10 to "client" and the F10 map options to "ALL", to have a closer look at the targets.
I will be able to have a better look later. Going out for several hours now.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Having seen the site at first hand, the original line of approach will not work. The RW are hidden behind a very tall tower, making them almost impossible to hit with anything, rom the obvious route in.

Any approach from the east is a non starter - the SAM site would take us out. There are also the BPM clusters a mile N and S of the target. which are very aggressive.

I am looking at coming in at an angle from almost due west, about 20 degrees tot he runway direction, but still using the same basic plan.

The alternative is from medium level (5000 ft plus) and using cluster weapons. But I am not sure how acceptable it would be to plaster the whole airfield with clusters!!

Watch this space.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have revise the above plan. Using retarded GBUs, you can clear the tall building that I mentioned earlier ( shades of Superman) and so I have reverted to a straight in approach.

The lead will take the RW behind the control tower, No 2 will take the hangars,etc, and No 3 will take the fuel, all using the same IP and run-in. Any others can take anything they can see in the same general area. All will use 6 retarded bombs. All will continue ahead at ULL to a waypoint and make a hard RH turn downwind.

Once downwind we will assess results and carry out any other attacks using rockets, following the same pattern.

If we hit everything we will depart downwind at around 500 ft agl.

It is a little tricky low-levelling though the hills, but we will be spaced out by a mile or so, which means the leader gets it first!

I will refine the mission and put it up here in a day or so. We can give it a try if anyone wishes.
Image Image Image Image

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Would welcome trying it Alan
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

I have now completed and tested my proposal to meet this task.

It consists of a medium/low level sortie for up to 4 ac making a retarded bomb lay down on the target airfield. There is the option to complete another run to tidy up anything left. It is not an easy target, particularly at night, and the routing in and out is a little hairy, relying on accurate flying and not thinking about how close the very black ground is below you.

I will publish the Mission either tonight or tomorrow, and will follow it up with a detailed brief. It might also be a good idea to fly it beforehand, and I am happy to arrange this using my server if anyone is interested.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

As promised my latest iteration of a proposed 97 Sqn input for Op Abii.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. It is a little complex until you get to know it, but I am producing an outline of how I planned to fly it. I should get that out within 48 hrs.

Basically, the four ac fly in trail, with about 1-2 nm separation, at the same specified heights. Ht agl at times will be less than 500 ft, but in the dark you can't see the ground so it's OK!! - just keep looking at the horizon and the next WP on the TGP in the RH MFCD. My main hassle is with the brightness of the TAD map, which even on low brightness tends to ruin external night vision (I am not a fan of NVGs). Unfortunately you do need to make constant reference to the TADs. At around WP 6, each individual ac switches to their specific target No1 - Helicopters, No2 - Hangars, and No 3 - Fuel, with any other ac taking what is missed or left un-killed. All drop retarded bombs from around 500-700 t agl, but the targets only become visible at a relatively late stage. Oh yes - also stay within 1/2 nm of track.

It is possible to do a pattern to the South after the initial run, and run back in again to polish up with Rockets (unguided) or guns. The 2 sets of armoured forces to the north and south of the airfield are not very effective if you stay at 500 ft agl. However, there may be random traffic on the road to the East of the runway and that fired at me once - but didn't score any hits max.

Watch for a further, more detailed, brief.
Attachments
Darker Abii-intel Flyco.miz
(176.06 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Attached is my slightly amended proposal for Abii, together with am outline of my proposed procedure.

It is a bit messy, but other than swanning around at 8-10,000 ft, picking off targets with GBUs I cannot see another obvious way.

Please give it a trial flight and let me have any comments or suggestions. If necessary we can have a Teamspeak chat to resolve any problems, and I am happy to run it on my Server, if anyone wants to try it a group.
However, you will see that, if all goes well, we are acting as separate elements in the target area, unless re-attacks are required - when it might get interesting.

I await your comments
Attachments
97 sqn brief for op alii.pdf
(608.91 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Darker Abii-intel FlycoV2.miz
(175.94 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Just flown your miz. It was interesting. I was trained to fly 1500ft above the nearest obstacle within 10nm of track, at night. OK, we didn't have equipment like the A-10. It was a little scary, looking left/right, and seeing the hilltops the same height as me. I'm glad I did what you said. Stick to the flight plan.
In the aircraft, WP 12 is Left 90. It should be Right 90.
It would help if you could say who will attack WPs 8 to 11. We could then calculate the spacing needed for the 6 bombs.
The only issue I had was I couldn't get a solid bomb release line. I'll try again, once I have a nominated target.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Yes, Geoff, it is against all the rules and common sense, but it does work, if, as you say you stay on track and use the TGB sensibly. I also,found that using the lakes as WPs where possible, particularly at the end of a leg where you are descending, meant that if they were not visible, it was not yet time to descend. If you can see them there is no hard ground between it and you.

I had planned for the No 1 ac to take the RW, No 2 the small hanger, and No 3 the fuel. That way their target should be relatively clear of smoke by the time they arrive. Those are the only 3 nominated targets, so I planned for any others to help themselves to want they can see, or take on any that were missed.

As for the lay down, I use CCIP - I found the CCRP, often fails to drop.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”