Operation Persian Storm Sortie 2

This is for briefings etc for any weekly operational missions/campaigns
Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Operation Persian Storm Sortie 2

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Next mission in this mini campaign series, Geoff can you plan missions for this mini campaign series please?(Alan if you can plan for the following few missions after this campaign, Thanks).

I will be attending this mission, lets hope I don't encounter the same problems that I got on Tuesday 29th's mission.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

309 Geoff

Re: Operation Persian Storm Sortie 2

Post by 309 Geoff »

Paul,
Sorry, I'm now in Bridlington for 2 weeks and will not have time to plan part 2.

I am happy to plan stage 3.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Ok Geoff, thanks for letting us know.

Alan any chance you can plan this one please.

Thanks very much.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

That should be OK if this is set for 12 Apr. However, I am not going to be able to look at it until after the forthcoming weekend.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Not a problem, Alan. plenty of time.

Paul
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Outline for this mission is in advanced draft form. I should be able to put it up here in a couple of days, or all to look at before submitting it to the Planners.

The target is 2 convoys of up to 40-50 vehicles (in each convoy!), including 3 x SA-15 and 2 x Shilka, in each convoy. Route is clear and confined to roads so the convoy should be easy to find, although we will have to search for the AD units within them. I propose to launch a pair first, climbing to 22,000 ft, who will take out the SA-15s as priority followed by the Shilkas. The remainder will launch 5-10 min later as a separate flight. They will follow the same route at 14,000 ft, and get confirmation that all SA-15s are dead before entering the area. The first flight will then deal with the second convoy, while the second flight deal with the first convoy. However, depending on our total number there should be no problem with finding enough targets for everyone!

There are no obvious ground defences other than those within the convoys. However, I have no info about Red fighter ac as yet.

I have gone for the following loads-out for both flights 2 x AIM-9M, 10 x GBU-12, 2 x CBU-105, 36 x M282 LGRs, and ALQ-184. Mav-D. Max fuel load is 76% with this load out. However, given the large number of targets and the fact that we will be operating mainly above 12,000 ft, I don't see this as a problem. I will outline my thinking on this and the manner in which weapons are to be used later.

You may have seen the exchanges between me and the Mission-Builder elsewhere (I think I upset him despite exercising my usual diplomacy). I am still unsure of what our take-off times will be, but for planning I am assuming the first pair roll at 1305Z and the second element at 1310Z.
Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Hi Alan,
As stated by Duke, the Frag will be posted today in the usual format.I've just got to get off the sofa after having my afternoon nap.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Luis

Post by Luis »

Flyco wrote: 03 Apr 2022, 15:42 Outline for this mission is in advanced draft form. I should be able to put it up here in a couple of days, or all to look at before submitting it to the Planners.

The target is 2 convoys of up to 40-50 vehicles (in each convoy!), including 3 x SA-15 and 2 x Shilka, in each convoy. Route is clear and confined to roads so the convoy should be easy to find, although we will have to search for the AD units within them. I propose to launch a pair first, climbing to 22,000 ft, who will take out the SA-15s as priority followed by the Shilkas. The remainder will launch 5-10 min later as a separate flight. They will follow the same route at 14,000 ft, and get confirmation that all SA-15s are dead before entering the area. The first flight will then deal with the second convoy, while the second flight deal with the first convoy. However, depending on our total number there should be no problem with finding enough targets for everyone!

There are no obvious ground defences other than those within the convoys. However, I have no info about Red fighter ac as yet.

I have gone for the following loads-out for both flights 2 x AIM-9M, 10 x GBU-12, 2 x CBU-105, 36 x M282 LGRs, and ALQ-184. Mav-D. Max fuel load is 76% with this load out. However, given the large number of targets and the fact that we will be operating mainly above 12,000 ft, I don't see this as a problem. I will outline my thinking on this and the manner in which weapons are to be used later.

You may have seen the exchanges between me and the Mission-Builder elsewhere (I think I upset him despite exercising my usual diplomacy). I am still unsure of what our take-off times will be, but for planning I am assuming the first pair roll at 1305Z and the second element at 1310Z.
Seem like a good plan. Some doubts about payload, is it total or each aircraft, please? .... Do we know the topography of the terrain?
Pilot Officer Luis - RAF Air UK
97th Squadron (A-10C II)
Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Luis, the load-out is for a single ac. That is, all, the A-10s will carry the same load. If anyone wants any changes let me know. The route is across water to the first point, which is across moderately hilly land, but generally around 500-2000mft amsl. The targets are all on the road and there are no problems with identifying them or approaches to weapon release, particularly from 10,000 ft agl.
Image Image Image Image

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Paul, you will have seen the query from Duke about whether we want manned targets and an extended sortie. I am not sure whether we would really require AAR, unless the sortie exceeds 2 hrs.

I will leave you to respond to these questions.
Image Image Image Image

Return to “Operational Mission Briefings & Info”