A-10 with 6 Mav's ???

General questions about the A10C, weapons, systems, etc etc
Luis

A-10 with 6 Mav's ???

Post by Luis »

I always assumed that the A-10 can only bring up to 4 Mavericks in RL.
Then I saw this post on the USAF website.

https://www.af.mil/About-Us/Fact-Sheets ... -maverick/

Does anyone know if the A-10 can actually bring 6 in RL, am I understanding correctly?
Pilot Officer Luis - RAF Air UK
97th Squadron (A-10C II)
Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Re: A-10 with 6 Mav's ???

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Hi Luis, not sure in R/L if A-10's carry 6 Mav's or not during missions. I tend to think of it as this, if DCS didn't think it was capable of carrying 3 Mavs each on the appropriate stations, they wouldn't of coded the simulator to allow us to do so.

So I go with 6 Mavs if I think the mission requires it(going against SA-15's, those things can shoot Mavs down in flight, so I always pop off 2 x Mav-D in quick succession, if the first one gets shot down the 2nd one normally gets through), otherwise I just carry 4.

Those are my thoughts on the matter, I'll leave other pilots to decide what's correct or not.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Luis

Post by Luis »

Thank you Paul.
I agree with you about DCS on this matter.
But as I saw somewhere once that the Mav closest to the landing gear could burn the tire (which is partially exposed on the A-10) it would be recommended not to use it. I don't know if it would be related to the A-10A, and in the A-10C this problem would have been solved. I posted the question on the DCS Forum. Maybe someone with RL knowledge will answer.
97th Squadron (A-10C II)
Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Yea nice one Luis, I'd be interested if any one as an answer about the tires getting burnt by carrying a third Mav.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

Both apply. The USAF limits the A-10 to 4 Mavs, to avoid damage on launch, but as understand it the damage is not serious. There is no objection to RAF Air carrying 3 a-side, and it has become the norm.

As for the up-coming mission, put me down as an (im)probable. In the end I bit the bullet and got a new PC. However, being limited to 6Mb/s download, and reduced brain-cells it is taking me an age to get back to normal. At present I would rate the chances as 'improbable' but time will tell. This bloody Windows 11 isn't helping, and won't even accept some of my kit.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Thanks for the heads up on your new system woes, hopefully it will all come together in time for you to join us on Tuesday. Good luck.

Paul.
"Je Vois Tout"

ImageImage
97 Squadron

Luis

Post by Luis »

Ok, I recived this answer from a RL A-10 Pilot from a group I'm in facebook:
The A-10 can carry six AGM-65, but in practice will usually max out at four. The inboard station of the LAU-88 is close to the A-10 main gear nacelle. The exhaust from the inboard Maverick will scorch the main gear nacelle, the tire and the enpenage. The additional drag and weight of an additional two AGM-65 also adversely effects the A-10 performance. The most common loadout is a single Maverick loaded on a LAU-117A on stations 3 and 9.

Nice one from this gentleman.
97th Squadron (A-10C II)
Image Image

Luis

Post by Luis »

Thank you Alan. Hope you sort things in time.
97th Squadron (A-10C II)
Image Image

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi Luis (and anyone else of course!)

would you be willing to fly the A10 on a Monday evening with 60 Sqn? I am looking at what would work with a joint op with the Apache and FW CAS. I know that Paul has already tried buddy lasing so we know that in principle it works, I would now like to try this in an operational situation.

My initial thought is a target area, say a bridge head, which is protected by SAM and armour. The Apache will recce and identify targets/ mark targets, which we will notify via MGRS Grids. We will also lase targets for your weapon deployment. The initial trial will be simplistic to consider comms and SOP for correct target acquisition. The second stage will be a more robust enemy with SAM network and interlocking ground targets. I see this second stage trial as a bit more challenging.

Clearly I may be over simplifying the approach but I think it will add alot to DCS missions. You can then try out your 6 Mavs!!

Cheers

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Wee Neal 0414

Post by Wee Neal 0414 »

Hi Luis (and anyone else of course!)

would you be willing to fly the A10 on a Monday evening with 60 Sqn? I am looking at what would work with a joint op with the Apache and FW CAS. I know that Paul has already tried buddy lasing so we know that in principle it works, I would now like to try this in an operational situation.

My initial thought is a target area, say a bridge head, which is protected by SAM and armour. The Apache will recce and identify targets/ mark targets, which we will notify via MGRS Grids. We will also lase targets for your weapon deployment. The initial trial will be simplistic to consider comms and SOP for correct target acquisition. The second stage will be a more robust enemy with SAM network and interlocking ground targets. I see this second stage trial as a bit more challenging.

Clearly I may be over simplifying the approach but I think it will add alot to DCS missions. You can then try out your 6 Mavs!!

Cheers

Neal
Squadron Leader Wee Neal 0414
CO 60 Squadron

Image Image ImageImage

Return to “General Questions”