Killing Tunguskas with an LG Rocket

Flyco
Site Admin

Killing Tunguskas with an LG Rocket

Post by Flyco »

While planning for a future mission (Deep Valley) I 'found' a cheap(er) way of knocking out a Tunguska. A good Tunguska will knock down a Mav more often than it misses. However, if you launch 3-4 LG rockets, in very quick succession from about 15,000 ft and 6-7 nm, you can turn 90 degrees left to stay out of his range, and keep lasing. The chances are that the Tunguska will knock out the first and second and possibly the third, but most times the fourth will get him. If not, do it again and he will be out of missiles even if you don't hit him.

He also concentrates so hard on killing the rockets, that even if you stray in too close he won't go for the launch ac. A bit costly but what are 6 rockets from the 42 you can carry on two pylons. And you keep your Mavs for tanks etc.

Apologies if you have already picked up on this. These guided rockets are new to me, but I am really starting to warm to them.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Re: Killing Tunguskas with an LG Rocket

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Nice observation Alan, I haven't tried to take a Tunguska with M282's. I thought I'd have to get to close before I launched them. Nice find.
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The Tunguska range is just under 5 nm. I have found that you can reach out to about 7nm nm from 15,000 ft. You do need to turn away left fairly judiciously to keep the laser on the target. That said, the Tunguska does seem to be kept quite busy swatting the inbound rockets. I’ve not had a missile fired at me on about 3-4 trial runs, but I did seem to lose laser tracking on one run - probably due to harsh handling pulling the laser off target.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Interesting. If I wasn't missing for the week, I would be testing it now. Hope the technique is successful.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Return to “Hints & Tips”