RT checks at startup and taxi

Flyco
Site Admin

Re: RT checks at startup and taxi

Post by Flyco »

Almost all of the above is true. There is a formal way of phrasing an R/T call, but, once experience is gained, there are simple short cuts. for example a response to a piece of non-executive advice is simple "2 - Rog".

However, it is best in the initial stages to at least know the basic rules.

I have already put 2 documents in the Forum under "Flight Training (FTS & OCU)/Flight Training School (FTS)/R/T Procedures". These are titled "General Rules" and "A-10C - Basic Formation Procedure". The first is a general advice on how to speak on R/T - don't "um and ar", space your message, enunciate properly etc", the second is a word by word exchange (for A-10Cs) during the start, taxi, take-of, and climb out. The latter is verbose and can be shortened - once you have the knowledge to know what can be omitted etc. In effect "Obedience for the Fools, Guidance for the Wise".

It is not rocket science and shouldn't frighten anyone. I was probably a bit grumpy last night - with everything going wrong and I will apologise - but get used to it. At least the recent update has fixed one of the problems last night; apparently DCS had been arbitrarily changing manned ac to AI!!
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

Neil Willis wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 15:43 A simpler approach is to add authority to start engines when entering the cockpit as part of your briefing - on operations, radio comms would be either zip-lip or restricted to essential calls only.

There will be a full procedure for joining the server, start up and taxi soon. This will tell you everything you need to know.
That is great Neil..
Also, I feel ashamed ... after all, everything is here. Great job Neil Willis and thanks. I see you were the author of many useful things.
I think new chaps haven't discovered these pages yet.
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=1433
viewforum.php?f=67

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

Thank you Flyco.
Just saw that. Share here the link to your post:

viewtopic.php?f=221&t=3190

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Even though we were hampered with technical issues I still got a lot from yesterday's training mission. I learnt some more radio protocol and how to reload the dsms and other systems. Thanks for organising.

Personally I enjoy Flyco's approach, especially the detailed briefing and straight talking. I never realised you were grumpy I just thought that was your method of teaching.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Thanks for the generous words Luis. Though I must say that the SOPs and other documents were always joint enterprises, and people like Flyco, Ade and Matt to name just a few were instrumental too.

Hopefully, there will be much more information flowing soon.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) And Other Essentials”