RT checks at startup and taxi

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

RT checks at startup and taxi

Post by 0405 Andrew »

I have no experience with RT communication and would like to clarify what I should be saying, there maybe no hard and fast rule and that's OK.

On last nights mission I notice everyone was saying "Hog 2 (3 or 4) - Loud and Clear on 251.0” Should 3 and 4 say this or just call "Hog 3" and "Hog 4"

Radio check Hog Lead “Hog Flight – This is Hog Lead on 251.0 – Check in”
Hog 2 “Hog 2 – Loud and Clear on 251.0”
Hog 3 “Hog 3”
Hog 4 “Hog 4”
Hog Lead “Hog load and clear – Go to 32.00 FM”
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: RT checks at startup and taxi

Post by Neil Willis »

To minimise time spent talking, and more importantly, emitting radio energy that can be used by your opposition to built an intel picture of your activities, you should keep things as short as possible.

So, the correct radio check procedure is:

Flight lead: “Hog flight, check in” (or “radio check”

Hog 2: “two” - this brief call means you can hear loud and clear.

Hog 3 “three”

Hog 4 “four”

Hog Lead “Hog one”

The reply would be “difficult but workable, two” or “unworkable two” if you cannot hear clearly. If a call sign doesn’t reply, leave a 5 second pause before replying in turn.

The call will be a regular routine and be expected, so having radios on, and correctly tuned in time for the call is essential for good comms discipline.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UKImageImage
ImageImageImage

Flyco
Site Admin

Post by Flyco »

The full formal structure of an R/T call, where Hog 1 is calling all the formation on a frequency of 140.00 is:

"Hog Formation - this is Hog 1 on 140.0Mhz - Check in"

There is normally no problem with abbreviating this call to, for example:

"Hog check in" where there is only one radio/frequency in use, and comms are good.

However, given the problems that new members have been having with R/T procedures, I wanted to be punctilious last night - Hence the full patter.

In last night's case there were 3 different radios available, and thus there should have been an indication of which one was being used - at least initially. It is not unknown for some to answer on the wrong radio - which if the person being called is not listening on that radio can be problematic.

In the event, last nights SRS problems, and a clear error in the mission (which I will investigate) made the missionpretty difficult and we eventually abandoned it.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Very good point Flyco.

A basic tennet of good comms is to make certain you have the right frequencies, and use the correct radio. In an A-10C, given that you are listening to 3 channels, knowing the right radio to use is of course essential.

If the flight lead thinks his chicks are in need of assistance, that is of course a factor in good comms. If your team is well versed however, the more brief you can make your calls, the better. The bottom line is to have effective comms, so if it helps, add some extra guidance when necessary.
ImageImageImage

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

Hi Neil and Alan,
thank you for the excellent points as far as the procedure and calling in.
If i may, I would only like to add a point from the new pilot's perspective, that we all sometimes forget. We've all been there in our early stages, even if it's so long time ago.
It is quite often the fact that new pilots(simmers), even real life trainee pilots, are discouraged because of the complexity of the comms(if you've never used them) and they prefer not to say anything instead of replying, being afraid they will say something wrong. In my opinion, there should be a bit of encouragement, and correcting them in a nice way, point them to the right direction even if this costs 1min to communication at this specific point. After all, comms at check in, startup and taxi is pretty relaxing and no threat is around most of the times. Myself i would prefer to hear, "Hog 2, radio check on 140.0" than Hog 2 struggling to figure out what to say and in the end not say anything at all, or be confused.This way operation can continue with everyone on board and information provided. Comms are pretty easy if you follow some simple rules as "to", "from", "message to pass"(short, simple, concise, containing all the info to be passed), following by "readback" if needed. After some time and when pilots are becoming comfortable with comms, parts can be emitted, but both ends understand them. Also we should not forget as well that at the same time we have to deal with real life factors such as phone ringing, wife speaking that can interrupt the normal flow of simming and might drop off the normal comms, where should be an understanding, and ability to adapt.
All i'm trying to say is that sometimes being a bit flexible on something non critical helps both sides and during time can be improved.

Falcon
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

Definitely Falcon.

The encouragement and nurturing angle is essential, and I'd encourage all Squadrons to have a softly softly approach to comms. No one should be taken to task for failing to say the right thing, but should be helped out when needed.

Some of us come from a military background, and consequently, have some experience of what to do and say, but it should never be forgotten that this stuff is no simple thing to learn and use.

My first advice to anyone would always be to have a go. No one is going to worry if it takes some practice to make perfect, and even the experienced guys will get tongue-tied.

The stuff being discussed and formulated is a guide and the desired standard. It isn't however written in stone, and we will always have to make allowance for those starting out. Call them an objective, and treat them as best practice, but never be afraid to make mistakes.
ImageImageImage

0413 Luis

Post by 0413 Luis »

Hello gentlemen. And thanks for the help. I have a simple question, which is confusing me, which has to do with the start up procedure.
On one hand, we must have radios working, on the other hand (unless we have ground energy), the radios will not work until the APU Gen is activated.
What should be the correct procedure, ask for ground power, or leave the APU on?
Thanks

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Hi Luis,

I don't know if it is correct, but I always start my APU, once that is running, I turn my radio's on, Then I contact ATC, and request Engine Start(if I'm Flight Lead).

Paul
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

0415 Falcon

Post by 0415 Falcon »

Hi Luis,
i don't know if i understood correctly your question but startup is for the engines, of course you can start your APU and use radios before engine startup.
If i can recall correctly UHF starts up only after battery as well to make initial calls.
I hope is clear.

Falcon
Flying Officer Filip " Falcon " - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage

Neil Willis
Site Admin

Post by Neil Willis »

A simpler approach is to add authority to start engines when entering the cockpit as part of your briefing - on operations, radio comms would be either zip-lip or restricted to essential calls only.

There will be a full procedure for joining the server, start up and taxi soon. This will tell you everything you need to know.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) And Other Essentials”