UHF Comms

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

UHF Comms

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Hi guys,

The stranger returns. First day I have been able to get on the PC for anything other than work.

I guess you have seen the posts re going over to UHF for comms so as to cut down risks at airfields with 3 sqn who I think have to use UHF.

Some of the lads from 11 sqn have devised a set of standard frequencies that will be used across the board, no matter which map we are using. The only thing that will change between the maps is the Home Plate frequency.

Even though in the Mission Editor there is no facility to pre set any A10 frequencies after ED buggered it up a few years back, I have found a way of doing just such a thing, but only for UHF. Which fits the bill nicely so when a mission is designed using the mission template that the lads have devised, all our preset UHF will be in there.

With this in mind I have looked at the comms matrix that the lads have drawn up and come up with this:-
RAF-Air-A10C-UHF-Presets.jpg
RAF-Air-A10C-UHF-Presets.jpg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Channel 1 in the Preset will ALWAYS be home plate, and what that frequency is will depend upon the map being used.

The way it would work is once you have APU power simply turn radios on and set the UHF to PRESET mode. When this is done you will notice that the SRS Radio display will show a C1, C2 etc etc as well as the frequency.

Does this little crib sheet work for you?

Chat frequencies within 97 sqn will be on VHF AM and they will need to be dialed in as and when

Once you have had a look I will give the files to Matt etc to add to the template.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Re: UHF Comms

Post by 0405 Andrew »

That's excellent, thank you.
It looks like there is lots of activity and everything is coming together.
I hope you can get a break over Christmas and get in an A10.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Sounds good. Crib sheet works for me, because I cannot get Kneeboard to work with my additional 2 MFD screens.

I have one question. What happens to FM. Will it still be used for Hog, Boar, etc?
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Hi Geoff,

According to the Comns Matrix drawn up by the lads, 97 Sqn Flight 1 will use 128.3 for their internal comms, and Flight 2 will use 128.4.

That will jut need to be dialed into the VFF AM set when starting up.

Re the crib sheet and presets.

For CH1 - CH5 I have stuck to the matrix Radio 2 UHF freqs so that we are all on the same page as other squadrons.

For CH6 - CH13 I have simply put all the other airfield freqs shown on the matrix that the other sqns use. We have got 20 presets in the A10, so might as well use them.

I have now set up voice control so that if for example I say SHELL FREQUENCY it will go down 13 clicks on the preset then up 4 clicks to sit on the 251.60 freq.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

309 Geoff

Post by 309 Geoff »

Richard,

Noted. Thanks.
Flt Lt Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImageImage

Return to “Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) And Other Essentials”