Comms

filthymanc

Comms

Post by filthymanc »

Sorry about this guys, but I'm trying to familiarise myself with all the recent comms frequency changes, and I haven't got a clue what I'm looking at or what it means.
I've not flown for a month and it feels like a year.

Rather than confuse myself, can anyone explain in an idiot-proof manner, how the comms now works. I don't really understand the Comms Matrix to be honest.

Do we have a presets kneeboard?
Pilot Officer Chris "Filthymanc" 0513 - RAF Air UK

Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Comms

Post by Richard Rodgers »

Mate,

Don't stress. It's simple.

The Comms Matrix lists loads of stuff but a lot of that is not, at the moment, totally relevant to us Hog drivers.

We have three radios in the A10, VHF AM, UHF and lastly FM. The F18 for example has a radio that can tune to BOTH AM and FM and this is where the Box1 Stud 3 and Box 2 Stud 2 comes from. When the A10C II gets it's new radio suite later this year, we will be able to do the same as the F18. Until then, we have to go around the houses a bit to do things.

Currently the Preset option of the VHF AM and FM radios in the A10 is buggered so we can't use preset on those two radios. However, I found a way to get the UHF radio to work with Presets and the missions are now set up in that way.

The image below is what I use as a crib sheet for Presets on UHF
RAF-Air-A10C-UHF-Presets.jpg
RAF-Air-A10C-UHF-Presets.jpg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 1637 times
The frequencies shown here are all taken from the Matrix. It does not matter which map you are flying on with our organised missions like tomorrow night's, the CH 1 Preset will ALWAYS be your Home Plate frequency. This preset has been programmed with the appropriate freq for all the different maps.

CH 2- CH 5 are straight from the Matrix. CH 6 - CH 13 have all the airfields that RAF Air Squadrons are using at the moment. Obviously I have not put the carries in the list because I don't really see us using them too often ;)

If you save the image you should be able to drop it into your kneeboard

The only other frequencies that you need are the two A10 interflight freqs. They are 128.30 & 128.40. When we end up with a third flight, we will just need another freq.

I don't know if you use Voice Attack. I have set up commands so that for example I say 'Vaziani Frequency', my UHF Radio will step down to preset 1, then back up to preset 10.
Gp Captain Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image

filthymanc

Post by filthymanc »

Thank you for that, yes it makes much more sense knowing that Am and FM presets are redundant.

I saw that pic on the other thread and couldn't understand why it was solely UHF, so thanks for clarification.

I may have been overthinking it when I had a look at the matrix.
Pilot Officer Chris "Filthymanc" 0513 - RAF Air UK

Paul(Dragon)0043
Site Admin

Post by Paul(Dragon)0043 »

Nicely explained, Richard. :D
"Je Vois Tout"

Wing Commander Paul"Dragon"Ratcliffe - RAF AIR UK
ImageImage
97 Squadron
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) And Other Essentials”