Hello

Introduce yourself to the RAF Air UK members
Ditch

Hello

Post by Ditch »

Hi all,

Happy New Year to everyone.

My name is Darren. I've been flying solo in DCS for about 6 months now after a simming gap of 25+ years. I have fond memories of Microprose sims and Falcon 3.0 but am a modern sim novice.

Like many, I've been trying to squeeze in flights and build my sim pit as and when I can around a busy work/home life. I have a bunch of DCS modules but have mainly spent time flying warbirds up to now. I know my way around the Spitfire and would be keen to fly with others that enjoy WW2 missions, particulalry with the Channel map. I'd also be keen get into mission editing at some point, but one step at a time :D .

I own the A10 and F18 modules and all maps. Right now I'm trying to work through the training missions on the F18 as my brain won't cope with learning two airframes at once.

I live in West Sussex by the way.

Chris

Re: Hello

Post by Chris »

Hi Darren, Welcome, and Happy New year... :)

As I'm sure you have seen RAFAIR caters for many airframes and flying styles, take your time and look around for what suits you best... If the F18C with a naval bent interests you give me a shout and you'll be most welcome in 892NAS and Carrier Air Wing (CAW).

892 Naval Air Squadron stands up within RAFAIR UK equipped with F18C Hornet operating mostly from DCS Super carriers. The Squadron fly on Tuesday and Thursday evenings around 19:30 UK time for training and engaging multi-squadron missions - Of course pilots are active throughout the week, often in other airframes too!. We encourage common training environments with other squadrons and recently established the CAW Carrier Air Wing with 11(F) SQN flying F14B Tomcats.

We have an extensive training syllabus and a good mix of formal and relaxed flying sessions. PM me and arrange a meet and I will soon get you sorted with required MODs, STS, Teamspeak and such and introduce to the motley crew... Training is at your pace and myself and a large group of enthusiatic guys will encourage and fly with you all the way....

Glad you're into Spits, 19 SQN although small in numbers get togtether on Sunday nights in Spits and Mossies mainly with Stangs and Jugs and the odd german crate too. But is is great fun, nothing beats a flight of Spits over Dover bashinbg the dastardky Hun..... Welcome any time mate... or perhaps you can teach us a thing or two...

Some eye candy to whet your appetite.... video courtesy of SHUGS (892NAS)

Kind Regards
Chris :)

Ditch

Post by Ditch »

Thanks Chris. That sounds just the ticket.

I'd certainly love to join in the Sunday evening WW2 flights with 19 Sqn in my spit. That tends to be when I fly anyway. I also have the Mossie module but haven't logged many hours yet, so will be a bit of a liability at the moment. I sometimes fly the bf109 (badly) too if you need some cannon fodder.

I'll PM you about the 892 Naval Air Sqn. The training syllabus sounds great - just what I need.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Duke

Post by Duke »

Hiya Ditch, welcone to Rafair, I'm in the process of getting some ww2issions written for Sundays and hopefully can get some more involved. https://discord.gg/Zmk88ZVa this is the discord for the whole group that generally has ww2 events posted on it btw. See you in the skies soon!

0405 Andrew
Site Admin

Post by 0405 Andrew »

Hi Darren,
Welcome to RAF Air.
Mission planning, there are a few experts here that are very generous with their time.
0405 ANDREW

Tuesday Mission group lead
"Andrew, you are right"
Flyco: 28 Jul 2021, 12:50
Image ImageImage Image

Roon
Site Admin

Post by Roon »

Hi and welcome to the group.

We only fly the F18 on the OCU but we fly it in a slightly more serious way than most. Our Boss on 41Sqn is ex Commander of that Sqn in real life, so if learning from a real fast-jet pilot interests you, come and have a chat in the OCU Briefing room on teamspeak. New faces are always welcome and we'll be pleased to help you with any set up issues you may have.

Look forward to seeing you soon.
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Officer Commanding F18 OCU
Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image

Ditch

Post by Ditch »

Thanks for all the responses. I've dropped Chris a line to help me get started and I look forward to flying with you soon.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”